What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Norway: Six GA planes (incl 2 RV's) flying a "Christmas Star"

ao.frog

Well Known Member
Norway: Six GA planes (incl 2 RV's) flying a "Christmas Star" formation

Yesterday, Des 23rd, it was time to give the Christmas Holiday a flying start in our local area.
We had six GA-planes and that was enough to form a nice formation.
Among them was a RV-4 and my own -7.

The background: for years, the Norwegian Air Force used to fly a Christmas formation, mostly shaped like a star.
They took off from their bases and flew a sortie over the nearby cities.

This tradition has been cut back during the later years due to cost, so this year a group of pilots on my local airport Rygge (ENRY) decided it was time to pick up the tradition.
Four of the pilots where X Airforce, and two where very skilled civilian formation pilots.

First the brief:

282hw0.jpg

Then the "obligatory" pre-start pic:

2uetbwi.jpg

Then it was time to taxi out and enter the rwy:

b7f336.jpg

Ready for takeoff:

2d7suwp.jpg

Joined up after T/O:

2h729he.jpg

1etpcg.jpg

Due to the dissimilar aircrafts, we had decided not to fly in the normal close formation, so we had set the references a little looser.

I was flying as #6, and in addition to be #6, I had the role as spotter and also photoship.

Here a pic from my position in the formation:

14oal2c.jpg

We where flying at 1500' AGL, and the winds where beetween 15 and 25 kts at that altutude. It was a bumpy ride and it took plenty of work to stay in formation.
Note that # 5, the Lancair, is flying with T/O flaps.
We flew 105 KIAS. That was the fastest the lead plane (a Czech Sport PS28 Cruiser) could do, so the fast Lanc had to "cheat" alittle to stay in the formation.

After flying over the 5 biggest cities in the local area, it was time for the overhead break.
Here we are inbound from the IP:

71rzag.jpg

Lead on the break:

fcmjie.jpg

Then # 2:

2psn7m0.jpg

Soon we where all safely on the ground and we all agreed to do it again next year.

Beforehand, we had called a couple of the local newpapers in the towns we passed and here are a couple of videos which two papers put up on their internet-editions within an hour after our flyby:

http://www.moss-avis.no/nyheter/her-kan-du-se-en-flyvende-julestjerne-1.8220238

http://www.f-b.no/nyheter/floy-julen-inn-1.8222794

PS: there might be a stupid commercial before the video. If so; sorry about that! ( I HATE commercials...!)

Since this was a Christmas star flown with only six planes (the ideal is seven or more), the formation also looked like a Cross, so that was a nice symbolic thing during these holydays...

Last edited:
Nicely done. Very nice pictures, as well. I'm glad the reporters mentioned the old Air Force tradition as well.

Fantastic photos of a most excellent tradition being revived. You and your flying friends are to be congratulated on bringing this tradition back for so many to see.

Merry Christmas!

Back