What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Back In The Saddle

terrykohler

Well Known Member
After nearly 9 months from the date of my "incident", I received my SI medical. I certainly learned a few things along the way:
1. While current guidance for placement of a stent has been reduced from 6 months to three months, this really has to do with you physical, not the actual receipt of the SI.
2. If your cardiologist is not intimately familiar with the FAA, and they prescribe "new" drugs not on the FAA radar, you're going to get delayed due to requests for "more information".
3. If your cardiologist is not intimately familiar with the FAA and insists on providing information "their way", you'll encounter more delays.
4. If the government goes on shutdown, more delays.
5. All of these delays, by the way, come with the same weekly response - "You're slated for review". When? "Don't know".

Frankly, after the second submission of data and information to Ok City, the Feds did send a very concise letter detailing all of the information they required on my drugs, post surgical reports, etc. Two weeks later, my cardiologist's office sent me a two sentence reply which I knew wasn't going to fly. Thankfully, daughter #1 is a USN flight surgeon - she reviewed all of my files, drafted a letter to the FAA, and forwarded it to the cardiologist with a note to sign it, use it as a draft, or at the very least, hit all of the points she covered. JACKPOT. About a month after a new letter was submitted, I received my SI.

Conclusion of this tale:
My SI expires the end of June, 2014. I'm going to need a physical, stress test, blood work, etc. done three months prior (in order to help ensure I don't lapse). All data will be reviewed by Daughter before submission. All data requested by FAA will be submitted in a single package or e-file.
All worth it? Oh yeah!

Terry, CFI
RV9A N323TP

Congratulations Terry. Your experience is similar to mine with the SI. The trick, if it is a trick at all, determine precisely what the FAA wants and give that and nothing more to them. Both points are important - figure out what they want and give it to them. If you give them one extra shred of medical information, even if it's clearly in your favor, they will ask more questions and that means delays.

Hopefully the Bill in Congress now will go a long way toward fixing some of this medical stupidity.

The Pilot Protection Services at AOPA is also a very big help. Once I submitted all the required SI paperwork 90 days ahead, as the FAA wants. When my medical lapsed, I called PPS at AOPA, and had a new SI medical faxed to me that afternoon. Seems my paperwork was stuck in some Dr's inbox and he was on TDY in Afghanistan. AOPA also has Dr. Warren Silberman on staff, who used to run the medical branch at FAA but since he retired he is with AOPA. They will review all paperwork to see that it's what the FAA wants.

Terry glad to have you back active. We were missing your RV experience here. You are one of the few CFIs who share the knowledge in depth and is not shy to point any deficiencies and mistakes in public. Sincere thank you. At the late stages of my build I was "collecting and storing" RV9 flying wisdom and your posts were clearly marked for future reread. Now after 1000 hours of flying my 9 I realized I need to learn more. Sometimes I don't remember how to land this thing. Thankfully my 9 has an autoland mode. Stay healthy Terry the community needs you here.

Good job!

Congratulations, Terry!

Regaining flying privileges after my heart surgery in 2009 was one of my goals, and if it took a Special Issuance Class III, then that was the means to achieve the goal. Sometimes you have to use all available resources, and in your case, that meant using your daughter's medical expertise.

Just like rehabbing after heart surgery, there can be different paths for different folks to reach the goal. Like the previous poster, I, too, used the medical resources of the AOPA. And I continue to keep them in the loop on my annual renewals of the SI.

Congratulations for not giving up. Your future renewals of the SI should be a piece of cake.

Good on ya Terry...

Been there, done that, my cardiologist always drafted the same letter, and always indicated " He is fit to Fly". along with current VA bloodwork, current stress test(non Nuke), and original tracings/narrative. I was good to go. You may also receive a letter allowing for this protocol for 6 years under the annual renewal regimen.:D

Terry, none of us are getting any younger and the dreaded exam freaks all of us out. I am glad you stuck it out and went through the endless hoops required. Maybe some sanity will erupt in the government and we can get the medical requirements changed to match real world issues. Have fun getting back into the air!

terry,
congratulations. As an AME I can tell you that applying for a class 3 is a lot easier than a class2 especially if you only need a class 3. class2 cardiac SI have to go through OKC while usually a class 3 can be approved by your regional flight surgeon and takes far less time.
Regards,
Alan
N668G RV10

I certainly learned a few things along the way:
All worth it? Oh yeah!

My experence exactly twice now (stents then triple bypass 3 years latter)

terry,
congratulations. As an AME I can tell you that applying for a class 3 is a lot easier than a class2 especially if you only need a class 3. class2 cardiac SI have to go through OKC while usually a class 3 can be approved by your regional flight surgeon and takes far less time.
Regards,
Alan
N668G RV10

I think they all go through OK City now or at least all cardiac ones. Mine used to go through KC region but has been at OK city now for the last 3-4 years.

Last edited:
Lots To Be Thankful For

First, thanks to all those who have offered their thoughts and good wishes. I'm planning to head to the airport in an hour or so and and give 323TP a little exercise.
Left seat will be occupied by son-in-law/USMC/KC 135 driver/Tyler. Daughters Leah (USN/Lt.Cmdr/MC) and Lauren (husband/Army Capt/Josh-currently helping keep the peace in Egypt) and granddaughter Cecelia will all be helping mom prep for Christmas celebration.
We're fortunate for family, friends, and the privilege of living in the greatest country on the face of the earth.
Merry Christmas To All!
Terry

Back