What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Somethin' a little different!

s10sakota

Well Known Member
I thought I would try drawing a caricature illustration. These are fun to make and the funny part is, I've been staring at caricatures for so long now that when I look at regular side views, the planes look way too long and distorted! I'm working on an RV-8 caricature now..

Last edited:
RV-8

I love the RV-8. I wonder why I'm building an RV-7?? Here's an RV-8 caricature-I call this one the "Low Pass". I suppose now I'll work on the RV-7.

><

Mark, I think Derek was using double reverse sarcasm and actually complimenting your artistic skills..

Aren't these proportions approaching the old T28?

t-28_trojan_138340-main.jpg

AH! A mistake! Before I made this RV-7 I made an RV-7A. After the 7A was complete, I deleted the gear, and then redrew it as a taildragger. I forgot to delete the step though!

Good catch!! :D

Wow that's an amazing painting! I wish I could do that. Did you paint that?

No, my artistic ability is limited to stick figures and smiley faces. It was painted by Ross Buckland, see web site http://rossbuckland.com/ for more of his aircraft paintings.

This is what my Rocket is supposed to look like when completed, hope to be flying this spring and paint will come after the test period is finished.

Ok, these are the last two I'll post. It's a Rocket I started working on last night and finished this morning. I made two titled versions...hope you like them!

Can you post the RV7a?

AH! A mistake! Before I made this RV-7 I made an RV-7A. After the 7A was complete, I deleted the gear, and then redrew it as a taildragger. I forgot to delete the step though!

Good catch!! :D

How hard would it be to add my paint scheme?

Rob-I used to make aircraft illustrations as a little home based business, but I got so tired of people asking me to spend 12-15 hours making them a custom piece of aviation art, and then having them think it's only going to cost them 20 bucks.

So I stopped offering them for sale. These caricatures I've found only take 4-5 hours to make so I've been making them just as a hobby. It's really quite relaxing and fun for me to create them.

Bill-Almost all of the work on these is adding the paint scheme and then adding the highlights and shading based on that paint scheme. So, it's quite a bit of work to change the paint. :eek:

Back