What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Why I sold my RV-7 after 12 years of building... (dcasey1's RV-8)

Sig600

Well Known Member
(If someone can resize these, please do!)

As some of you may know, we lost Dave Casey a few weeks back to an accident in his Varga off the CA coast. Dave was a member here, and when he was killed his RV-8 was in the paint shop. Dave's 8 was built at Stead a few hangars down from me by him and one of the best craftsmen in the RV world. He spared absolutely no expense on this airplane and he and the gentleman that built it are genuinely proud of it, so it deserves to be shared with the RV community here as Dave was just waiting to show off the paint job. Sadly he never got to see it.

Enter my dad and I. We started the 7 years ago as a father/son project, and life kept getting in the way. I joined the Navy, moved a dozen times, deployed three times... he retired and then kept taking new jobs (he sucks at retirement).... progress was slow. When news of Daves passing came along, we knew the family was going to need to move the airplane. Working with the gent that built it, and Dave's close friend, we decided to liquidate our project and buy his 8 from the family.

This airplane is absolutely amazing, as anyone that sees it in person will attest. Our plan is to try and get it to Oshkosh this summer with the builder and some other locals to present it to the RV community. If it's not a show winner, it's very very close. The whole situation is bittersweet. As Bob Mills will attest I have very mixed emotions over the whole deal. No one wanted this to happen, or play out the way it has. I was really sad to see my 7 go (Poison's "Every Rose Has a Thorn" was playing when the truck was closed up taking it away, I may have shed a tear), but my dad will be able to enjoy it while he's still able. Dave's family knows it's going to someone that watched it being built, and will absolutely care for it and appreciate it.

So I present Dave's vision...

http://i58.tinypic.com/2aetteh.jpg

http://i58.tinypic.com/ddm893.jpg

http://i62.tinypic.com/2h4ytxz.jpg

http://i59.tinypic.com/15plx1j.jpg

Bob Mills playing with the panel.

http://i57.tinypic.com/fd90mb.jpg

http://img88.imageshack.us/img88/9651/img1629yo.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
that's an outstanding story, I've followed your posts as your progress was similar to mine, and I've had plenty of life interruptions in my build, but I am not giving up

I wondered what possible reason you had to bail out of yours, I'm glad to see it makes total sense now

that being said, whoever gets your plane will have a great build as well

Great to hear all around Sig

Great looking airplane

Great story

Great to hear your still in the RV community

Great to hear your airplane went for a good cause and good home

And I was relieved to hear that you did'nt give up because of some sad story or crisis of confidence.

Sorry for Dave's passing and the only other sad part was to hear Mills is involved.

Go Navair!!

Love the paint!

If I should happen to repeat offend, I think I know the paint scheme for the next one. :)

Great looking airplane!

the only other sad part was to hear Mills is involved.

Go Navair!!

Funny story, when the plane came back from paint we were all in the hangar staring at it and Bob wanted to sit in it. About 1/2 a second after his butt hit the seat (I was waiting for it) I said "you know I haven't even gotten to sit in there yet." I wish I had a picture of the look on his face, it was priceless!

... and the only other sad part was to hear Mills is involved.

I heard that!

Go Navair!!

OK, we'll the other one slide!

Funny story, when the plane came back from paint we were all in the hangar staring at it and Bob wanted to sit in it. About 1/2 a second after his butt hit the seat (I was waiting for it) I said "you know I haven't even gotten to sit in there yet." I wish I had a picture of the look on his face, it was priceless!

It was like having your 3-year old seeing you take a tootsie pop, only to find out it was the last one...ever..."how fast can I get out of this"..."but oooohhhhh...look at the shiny new GTN-650, and the Skyview and Legacy Dynon EMS (it has dual probes throughout)...a very cool airplane!

Great looking -8, Pat. Fly it down next weekend with Bob to the NC Formation Clinic.

Oh, I've pushed that button already...even ro-sham-bo didn't work! Someday...soon! ;)

Joking aside, Pat has expressed concern about the bittersweet nature of this purchase, because he respects Dave's memory and love for his RV. FWIW, I think it's a perfect solution. The new owner appreciates all the work and craftsmanship that went into the build, and you get more years of enjoyment of the plane with your Dad. I saw the work you put into your 7 too, so you are a builder.

Hope you enjoy one of the nicest 8's around! Oh, and check six!

Cheers,
Bob

That is one classy paint scheme. Enjoy the future flights which will serve as a tribute to its builder.

So it finally happened. After weeks of paperwork wrangling, the FAA, insurance, etc. I was finally able to take the 8 to the air. It has fixed rudders and after moving them to accommodate my 6'3" I decided a taxi test was in order. It was 0730, there wasn't a breath of wind, not a cloud in the sky, and not a soul on the field. She flies even better than she looks, just beautiful. I'm out of the fighter world now, but this thing really does fly like a little fighter. When I came back Bob Mills was sitting in his car next to the runway when I taxied clear. Then he convinced me to go again and have some form fun, and he got to OPCHECK his new helmet.

Thanks to Bob for the 5 hours of insurance mins I needed (and many go arounds). His rocket is a monster. Clipped wings, huge prop, long gear.... Despite my efforts to kill us, many many times, he never flinched! And to Scott, for those of you that know him, for facilitating this deal and walking me through the airplane nut for bolt, and everything else he's done.

2mhyntz.jpg

20p2cyr.jpg

25hznn8.jpg

Last edited:
Congrats again Pat!

Backstory…

So there I am, headed to Stead to meet Pat...and I get a text (I was at a stop light! :)), that Pat is taxiing around (he was stopped in the run-up area :)). He had completed the rudder-pedal move and was ready to fly his 8. We had done the training, and he was ready. Was he gonna wait for his IP to witness his first solo? Hmmmm…

I roll in, and there's no 3-tone silver-gray 8 taxiing around, and none in either run-up area (wind calm). Hangar open and empty. Look, up in the sky…

Yep, there on base was an RV. Prettiest wheel landing you ever saw! He taxis in, and there is the RV Grin…visible for miles!

Me: "Nice Wheeler…was that the first?"
Pat: "Yup!"
Me: "Where are the other two?"
Pat: "Don't want to tempt fate."

I understood that…he taxied in, I followed, and hi fives ensued.

15 minutes later, he looks around, and says, "ya know the wind is really calm, and its a nice day…"

And I finish the sentence…"and you need pictures of you in your airplane…airborne…to hang up…and to send to Scott (Dave's building mentor…and ours too).

Slammer Flight takes off a few minutes later. (Slammer was [is] Dave's call sign). RV Grin visible from lead's cockpit…highly visible! :D

A quick flight to salute Dave and celebrate the passing of the torch from our friend Slammer to a proud new owner, Landfill (Pat). Race 89 is a beautiful airplane, inside and out, and its new owner will make its builder very proud! Here's another pic from that flight. Over Pyramid Lake…Anaho Island and the Pyramid visible. Spiritual place…kind of appropriate!

IMG_0584.jpg

Congrats!

Cheers,
Bob

PS: My mug doesn't belong in there with Pat's plane…but it was a test of the new ANR gear, mic, and hardware, that breathed new life into my 1981-issued HGU-33…and I painted it with a gun borrowed from the same guy that helped Dave build Race 89. Full circle. ;)

Last edited:
Nice plane with great story! Waiting to see her in person in couple months here at Princeton NJ. :)

Moving to Reno

Hello guys in Reno. beautiful RV-8 and a wonderful story. Sounds like quit a few builder/rv flyers in the area. Will be relocating to Reno (Summerset) at the end of June. Was wondering what the hangar availability was like? Look forward to meeting you all!

Hello guys in Reno. beautiful RV-8 and a wonderful story. Sounds like quit a few builder/rv flyers in the area. Will be relocating to Reno (Summerset) at the end of June. Was wondering what the hangar availability was like? Look forward to meeting you all!

Replied to Pat's group PM?we'll get ya hooked up! Bringing an RV-14 build? (ooooh, shiny!) :D

Cheers,
Bob

Looking for

Temporary hangar space for my -8 at Stead.
I'm planning to attend the PRS June 11 through the 14 th.
It's a 4 hr. Drive for me, but flying over is also an option if I can find some room in a hangar for a few days. Any info would be appreciated.
Thanks
Steve.

Congratulations on the new baby, she looks great and based on your comments she flies just like she looks. Have a great time. If you cross over the midwest we have a great group of RVers in Minneapolis-St Paul and you are always welcome. In the meantime, have fun.

Back