What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Brake accumulator

BobCollins(AA)

Well Known Member
I installed the small aluminum non see through brake reservoir on the firewall as per Van's plan and would like to know if anyone has come up with a way to check fluid quantity during preflight.

Thanks

Last edited:
A straw works great, stick it in then cap the top with your finger. Check level, release the fluid and dispose of the straw. I always leave the fluid level about 3/4" from the top.

Last edited:
Yep... puddle on the ground = reservoir empty, no puddle = reservoir full :D

PS: accumulators are presurized, reservoirs are not.

Bob,

I have an RV-8A in the hangar, but am now building a Midget Mustang. I put the reservoir on the cockpit side of the firewall, but ran two clear hoses to the individual brake master cylinders. I can now see the red fluid and that is comforting.

Jim

I check mine at every oil change (25 hrs). For a while, I was adding a few ounces at every oil change. It took me a long time to find the leak at one of the fittings on a master cylinder - the carpet soaked up the fluid and hid the evidence of the leak for a long time.

After I fixed the leak at the master, I rarely see any change in the fluid level in the reservoir.

Bob,

I have an RV-8A in the hangar, but am now building a Midget Mustang. I put the reservoir on the cockpit side of the firewall, but ran two clear hoses to the individual brake master cylinders. I can now see the red fluid and that is comforting.

Jim

In time the red dye in the fluid will turn the tube red and it will be quite difficult to distinguish red tube and red fluid. There are some corporate jets out there that have 5606 for fluid and a tube on the reservoir to check levels during pre-flight. Even shining a flashlight directly on the tube and inspecting at close range it is hard to tell.

Brake Reservoir

A white Ty-Rap makes a great dipstick. The little teeth capture the fluid and the contrasting colors make it easy to see. I drilled a 3/8" hole in the firewall flange directly above the fill plug as well.

Don B

Rv9 Rebuild in Progress

Back