What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Edge forming tool recommendations

speyers

Well Known Member
What are other builders using to form edges on their RV's? Thinking about the large skins where you want to put a slight downward bend on the edges to get the skins to lay flat after riveting. I have seen a few tools out there but wanted to know what others recommend and what works well.

Cleveland tools.
Vise grip with rollers.

Don't try anything else, total waste of effort.:eek:

Last edited:
Cleveland tool EF60
May be same as noted above. I could not find it at Brown Tool when I looked.

Really good. However, don't overlook a dowel with a slot in the end for those tight spots.

Cleveland tool EF60
May be same as noted above. I could not find it at Brown Tool when I looked.

Really good. However, don't overlook a dowel with a slot in the end for those tight spots.

Thanks Bill,
Changed supplier name

I like the round disc with the two plastic rollers. YMMV. BTW, the two rollers can be purchased at any hardware store...they are shower door rollers! When I told a friend about the rollers he made a tool from some bar stock and the shower door rollers. It worked great.

Jim

I tried it on one panel and didn't like the look of the seam. The one that was rolled is on the bottom so it doesn't show. On my RV-7A at least, all joints snugged up very nicely, without rolling, when riveting. YMMV.

Last edited:
Just on man's oppinion... I have the cleveland tool edge former vise-grips. I used it on some seams etc & not others. It works great BUT it's not really needed at all !!! All of my non-formed seams have come out perfectly tight & flat.

Just on man's oppinion... I have the cleveland tool edge former vise-grips. I used it on some seams etc & not others. It works great BUT it's not really needed at all !!! All of my non-formed seams have come out perfectly tight & flat.

+1 on this. I bought the tool, but I only used it once.

I am with Steve, Daniel and Gil.
I bought one, used it once and never again.
Didn't like it and don't need it.
Seems like on the panels where I did want to use it the seeem lined up with the row of rivets which did not work out very well.

I have the Cleveland EF60 tool - used it on all my skins ..large and small .. and on inspection covers .. I like how they finish off the edge ...

I bought the Cleaveland vise grip edge tool after failing to figure out how to get the Avery 2 rollers on a disk one to work. I used it on all of the overlaps on the fuselage and they came out looking very nice and tight.

Just remember to roll the edge before you dimple! Go slow with it or it will try to steer off the edge depending on how tight you have it set.

Sounds like the EF60 is the winner.

Looks like the edge roller form Cleveland is the most popular if you are going to use one. Does anybody have a used one for sale?

Back