What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Are shipping charges out of control?

Daniel S.

Well Known Member
Hey all-
Just wondering if it's just the season for outragous shipping charges or are the past two companies I ordered from just up charging for shipping? Am I crazy or has anyone else noticed this? Below are my 2 examples.

Order from Wicks- shipment of 24 domed #8 nutplates... UPS ground from IL to Atlanta GA $15.61 :eek:

Order from AeroLED- shipment of (2) 2"x5" mounting backets >=1 pound. Once again UPS ground $17.23... Boise ID to Atlanta GA :eek:

When Wicks started charging a handling fee they lost me as a customer. Don't know if they still do that but with the free shipping with the AC$ pilot card I found no reason to order thru anyone else but Aircraft Spruce.

I try to use Priority Mail whenever possible, and if I can, lump purchases together.

Still, sometimes I need something for $6.50 and postage costs $7.00. Sigh.

Dave

That's the way it is. I try to minimize my orders by keeping a running list of the smalls in the shop and place the order when I absolutely have to have one of the items on the list or else I'll run out of things to do. I'm almost done but if I were earlier in the build, I would get one of those AS&S cards and take advantage of the free shipping offer.

I was going to have some work clothes and personnel effects shipped from Canada to Lima Peru. A box, 3 ft square and 40 pounds and a value of less than $500 was going to cost me $3945 with Purolator. I checked around and had a quotes of over $5000 for the same package. Double the money of a Business Class Seat. Needless to say I did not ship it.

Last year someone cloned my debit card so I canceled it and had a new one sent to me in Bogota. $150 for an envelope containing a debit card. I was lucky on that one as the bank picked up that cost.

Maybe this explains why we are getting dinged so much extra for our baggage. They want the space for cargo as that is where the money is.......................

Postage?

Try ordering from Australia..... We get skun out here everytime we want something from the states. :mad:

For places that don't tell you they are charging handling/processing, etc....that you can deal with directly, tell them to ship on your UPS/FedEx shipping number. (You can sign up for one free, and link it to a credit card.)

Many will....then you'll be charged actual pricing, and not have to argue about anything. Some places with online ordering will modify your account for this too.

In other cases, you'll get no's or admissions about handling and such. (And some will say, "there is still a $2 handling fee, etc, etc" which I'm usually fine with if the company is up-front about such things.)

I will admit I'm spoiled by Amazon, and localish places like Mouser that ship actual cost with next day Ground (in Texas).

Try ordering from Australia..... We get skun out here everytime we want something from the states. :mad:

I'm sure your costs to Oz are way worse than ours, but shipping costs to Canada would likewise make you guys in the States long for the rates you're complaining about lol. First we pay double the actual shipping rate, and then we get dinged for utterly exorbitant "brokerage charges" if UPS or Fedex are involved. This is why in my part of the country some people maintain PO boxes in North Dakota!

For small parts like a bag of nutplates the vendor should throw them in a padded bag and ship first class US postage. They are so wedded to a vendor like UPS they forget the alternatives.

Yes, Shipping has gone out of sight.
BUT on my end it's rate hikes from UPS and FEDEX. I usde to ship a two blade prop for 30.00 on average now it's 40.00 and thats in the past year an half. When you start talking three blades it's 200.00 and up one way. Then add the insurance(that's another story)

My last small order from Spruce was quoted at $12 UPS and $3.31 USPS and it arrived a day sooner.

Spruce shows you the shipping options and prices when you order on line.

USPS is almost always cheaper and faster. Unfortunately, when they lose stuff, you're SOL.

USPS is almost always cheaper and faster. Unfortunately, when they lose stuff, you're SOL.

I've been specifying USPS for small orders from Vans, it is cheaper than FEDEX or UPS. But that won't last as the USPO lost about $7 billion this past year.

FEDEX and USP are in business to make money, the USPS is not.

I've been trying to ship USPS Priority mail for a couple of reasons. Obviously price being the first thing. You can put alot of hoses in a medium Flate Rate box. Second, I actually get MY orders faster on USPS, than either UPS, or Fed EX, when shipping ground.
In shipping International, especially to Australia, USPS Express give faster service, and MUCH better rates. 2 lb box around $55. US, versus $200+ to Sydney. Even if you have a UPS commercial # like I do, and some of you, there is still a big difference between $5.50, and $14.95. The more we can save on our incoming shipping, the more we can save our customers by keeping our overhead down.

Last edited:
Here's another vote for ACS and the good old USPS for small orders. i love when you need to order a dozen locknuts, or a single AN fitting, and ACS's web site shows you the shipping costs for all the options - and USPS is something like $1.70 whereas the others all START at $10! Doesn't work for big orders, but it sure makes those "I really need this one fitting to make this assembly correct" orders more palatable.

Paul

Yes, USPS priority is the best deal for smaller/lighter and pre-paid priority boxes for dense, heavy stuff. They also deliver on Saturday as does Fed-Ex Home; UPS does not (they're unionized). Putting your money with the best service is the only way we have to influence shipping cost, so reward the vendors who recognize it's our money and will actively suppress shipping costs.

John Siebold

Thanks all for your insite! Let me clarify a bit though, these were just two "one-off" orders for stuff ACS & my normal venders didn't or don't have. I guess I'm just really used to "normal" shipping rates charged by Van's, ACS and the ohter guys I usually buy from.. The shipping charges on the two small orders I mentioned definately stick out like a sore thumb on my expense log. I just thought it was a bit odd :rolleyes:

We joke around here that we wish our vendors had an 'Annette' like we do. It is pretty easy to dump something in a box and bill the customer. We are fortunate to have Annette in our packing room who knows how the different shippers work, both domestic and international. If you order something second day, you will get it that way, but if you choose 'best method', we spend a fair time on each order making sure that you get the best rate and service for what the product is and the risk involved.

I don't like shipping charges any more than anyone else, but to put it in perspective, If I have to drive the 20 to 25 miles (I live out of town) to the store and back, it costs me roughly two gallons of gas and an hour. Minimum cost is then about $7. $10 to my door isn't too bad in that light.

Tim

Mike---I hooked up with a local shipping company to do my International shipping, and dealing with customs, etc. They now handle all my shipping, for a very fair price. Companies like you, ACS, Van's, etc, have shipping departments, with real live employees that are very good at what they do. I needed help in that area. I was spending alot of time doing my own click N ship, or UPS labels, and found that I could use my time better by having someone else take care of that for me. And-----its not my overhead that pays her salary!!!!
So, for a small business, its a win/win situation. I get great service, my customers get great service in a timely manner, and I help the economy too.
Tom

Yep, Having Annette there sure does rock!!! I think the most I've ever paid for shipping from Mike has been like $9 bucks for a decent size (heavy) box... PLuss Annette is ALWAYS helpful on the phone!!!:D

More kudos for Annette ...

...she is absolutely GREAT to work with. In fact, all my transactions with Cleaveland have been top notch. Nice work, Mike and Annette !!!

Ordered a starter button switch from Waytek Wire for $6.83 and asked that it be sent USPS. Got the invoice today and the shipping and handling (UPS ground) was $17.48 for a total of $24.31. I think I'll be avoiding that group in the future!

Jim

Last edited:
I tell all whom I purchase with to ship United States Postal Service. The boxes are free to you or the shipper in a Program called ,,,,,IF IT FITS IT SHIPS (max 4 lbs on small box) and I believe the small box is $5.25 anywhere in the country of United States. When I order from the mid west its usually LESS than 48 hours to my door step here in Oregon.. Just like using Flight following, you helped pay for that RADAR site you might as well use it. Now I call United Parcel Service the new SNAIL MAIL! Also I learned that United States Postal service ships their mail bags/parcels on air parcel carriers like Fed EX and UPS! Thats right! any place to make a Buck the air carriers can and will do. If you call the post office they will deliver free of charge new boxes for shipments right to your door step and pick them up too! Also did you all know that carriers like FEDEX will deliver their package to the post office to do a final delivery, say, like its way out in the country, if they deem it to expensive the run their truck out there for one package.Its happening here in Oregon, I know. U S Postal Service, I believe has 3 sizes of IF IT FITS IT SHIPS program. I know I just had Cherry Max rivets sent to me from VANS. Handling and shipping USPS $2.40 yesterday. Ron in Oregon.

Last edited:

Not true if you use Priority Mail w/insurance. We use it all the time and it is comparable to UPS service.

First Class mail, however, is another matter. We will use it if a customer asks for it, but you can plan on about a 1% loss rate, and a much higher "delayed for no reason".

We charge only actual shipping. Even then, it's painful to ask a customer to cover the ever-increasing shipping costs. Ugh! We have $3.50/gallon fuel to blame for it and you can place the blame for that on whichever administration you like.

Here's a something to consider if you're outside the USA.

UPS and FedEx often charge the recipient ridiculous fees. The shipper (us) has no way to determine these fees in advance. It's a racket and as far as we can tell, it benefits only USP and FedEX. It certainly doesn't trickle down to the shipper!

USPS typically is the cheapest shipping method for packages. Use Priority Mail and insure your shipment fully.

Some guys ask us to claim an amount less than the actual value in order to save a few bucks on duties, import fees, etc. While I fully understand wanting to save money, you are asking the shipper to lie (ugh.) Furthermore, if you have a loss, the carrier will cheerfully give you the lower amount, and you will lose your money! This places everyone in a very uncomfortable spot.

Here's a something to consider if you're outside the USA.

UPS and FedEx often charge the recipient ridiculous fees. The shipper (us) has no way to determine these fees in advance. It's a racket and as far as we can tell, it benefits only USP and FedEX. It certainly doesn't trickle down to the shipper!

USPS typically is the cheapest shipping method for packages. Use Priority Mail and insure your shipment fully.

Some guys ask us to claim an amount less than the actual value in order to save a few bucks on duties, import fees, etc. While I fully understand wanting to save money, you are asking the shipper to lie (ugh.) Furthermore, if you have a loss, the carrier will cheerfully give you the lower amount, and you will lose your money! This places everyone in a very uncomfortable spot.

Second that.

USPS seems best

For shipping to Australia - for usual stuff up to maybe 10kg, USPS to be the best by far.... and very reliable... But nothing is cheap ~~~ :eek:

I ship stuff to a friend in Brisbane Australia fairly often, about once a month. You'd be amazed what you can stuff in a tyvek envelope and ship it there for $16. My side business is repairing XCom radios and I use USPS exclusively. Cheaper and more reliable than the others in my experience.

shipping

The best deal for large boxs and heavy stuff is the airlines had my finish kit set air from Vans thur BAX and it was cheaper than truck and faster. If Vans would send a truck to Portland every friday it could cut the rate in half for us builders anyone close to Vans could start them a nice little company and help RVers at the same time.

Shipping RV9A USPS vs UPS

Like I said United states Postal Service is great. Just yesterday I ordered 4 dehydrator plugs and a two knob panel light switch. Shipping and postage ,USPS of course. Total $6.50 from Aircraft Spruce. You can ask when you order est cost of shipping by different carriers which is nice. Sorry UPS!

Ron in Oregon

Back