What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

What's involved with a DIY IRAN?

00Dan

Well Known Member
BLUF: What am I getting myself into tackling an IRAN on a salvage motor?

I touched on this in my thread on planning for engine work but I feel this deserves its own thread. I'm looking very closely at an O-320-B that was removed from an Apache that was totaled in a forced landing. I'm told this particular engine was secured prior to impact (engine shut down, prop feathered). The engine was overhauled in 2009 and then IRAN'd in 2018. Although the logs do not state the reason for IRAN, presumably it was for corrosion as the TSMOH is listed as 10.5 hours in that nine year period.
After the wreck in 2019 the engine was removed and stored in a warehouse in Texas. The salvage company does not consider it to have a prop strike, but does state the cylinders are rusty. The TSMOH is estimated at approximately 20 hours.

Obviously the cylinders would need to come off and at minimum have the corrosion cleaned up in an IRAN style service. They were new at OH so other than corrosion I'm not sure a full OH or new cylinders would be warranted. Am I missing anything in that calculus?

I've requested pictures of the wreckage to see if I can determine if the prop hit the ground, despite not being under power. Is it justified to assume a full teardown and sending the crank to get magnafluxed is necessary? Or would a visual inspection and checking the flange runout be sufficient IF the pictures do not show any apparent prop damage? Even if it is deemed unnecessary to send everything out for inspection, would it worthwhile to split the case anyway and change over to DLC lifters and replace the cam, since the engine has been sitting since removed?

What parts are necessary to replace in an IRAN besides seals? I know rod bolts are single use; are there any other single-use fasteners?

For the record, I haven't purchased the engine yet. The salvage company states they will guarantee all the bottom end parts and will guarantee the cylinders as "overhaul-able." On it's face this seems like a good candidate engine for cleaning up and hanging, BWTHDIK?

Google "lycoming 533c" for an inspection check list, this will give you an idea of what IRAN means.

That was helpful. My top level interpretation after skimming that tells me that the big question on this engine will be did the prop actually hit. If not, it sounds like I would primarily be looking for and addressing any corrosion, then reassembling with new seals.

Email me the name of the Salvage Co. If the company is ASOD, I may be able to get you some additional information.

Run 1 hour per year for 9 years? or more likely, 10 hours for one year, then none since. If this engine was in GA, it will be full of rust. If in AZ, maybe okay. Either way, you’re putting a lot of faith, and money, on the salvage company’s guarantee.

Run 1 hour per year for 9 years? or more likely, 10 hours for one year, then none since. If this engine was in GA, it will be full of rust. If in AZ, maybe okay. Either way, you’re putting a lot of faith, and money, on the salvage company’s guarantee.

The engine had a full teardown in 2017 with reassembly in 2018. I think it’s reasonable to consider that the start point for the clock rather than 2009. Not to say the 2 years since removed is good but it isn’t 12 either.

I iraned a low time O360 a few years back that had been sitting. By the time I replaced all the corroded parts I was so close to an overhaul I just bought the few extra parts.

Why would one feather and secure a good engine on a twin and perform a forced landing. That goes against the whole point of having a twin. Run out of fuel?

Why would one feather and secure a good engine on a twin and perform a forced landing. That goes against the whole point of having a twin. Run out of fuel?

Gear extension failure resulting in a belly landing - and trying to save the engine(s) from a prop strike. The trouble with that is, it requires a stopped horizontal prop to keep from touching the runway. It's still a gamble, and now you're committed to landing without the possibility of a go-around. I've seen videos of guys coming in gear-up with a stopped prop, trying to bump the starter to get the prop clocked correctly. Way too much to do while attempting a belly landing.

BLUF: What am I getting myself into tackling an IRAN on a salvage motor?

I touched on this in my thread on planning for engine work but I feel this deserves its own thread. I'm looking very closely at an O-320-B that was removed from an Apache that was totaled in a forced landing. I'm told this particular engine was secured prior to impact (engine shut down, prop feathered). The engine was overhauled in 2009 and then IRAN'd in 2018. Although the logs do not state the reason for IRAN, presumably it was for corrosion as the TSMOH is listed as 10.5 hours in that nine year period.
After the wreck in 2019 the engine was removed and stored in a warehouse in Texas. The salvage company does not consider it to have a prop strike, but does state the cylinders are rusty. The TSMOH is estimated at approximately 20 hours.

Obviously the cylinders would need to come off and at minimum have the corrosion cleaned up in an IRAN style service. They were new at OH so other than corrosion I'm not sure a full OH or new cylinders would be warranted. Am I missing anything in that calculus?

I've requested pictures of the wreckage to see if I can determine if the prop hit the ground, despite not being under power. Is it justified to assume a full teardown and sending the crank to get magnafluxed is necessary? Or would a visual inspection and checking the flange runout be sufficient IF the pictures do not show any apparent prop damage? Even if it is deemed unnecessary to send everything out for inspection, would it worthwhile to split the case anyway and change over to DLC lifters and replace the cam, since the engine has been sitting since removed?

What parts are necessary to replace in an IRAN besides seals? I know rod bolts are single use; are there any other single-use fasteners?

For the record, I haven't purchased the engine yet. The salvage company states they will guarantee all the bottom end parts and will guarantee the cylinders as "overhaul-able." On it's face this seems like a good candidate engine for cleaning up and hanging, BWTHDIK?

If the cylinders have rust, good chance there is rust on many other parts inside the engine, including cam and lifters. Pretty good chance this could be an expensive exercise.

If the cylinders have rust, good chance there is rust on many other parts inside the engine, including cam and lifters. Pretty good chance this could be an expensive exercise.

Excellent point. I had considered that if I split the case I could preemptively replace the cam and lifters anyway, but admittedly I am not well versed on how corrosion will affect the other internals, since usually the context is always corroded cam/lifters rather than corroded crank/rods/etc.

This is exactly what I found. Not only was it big stuff, like the cam and lifters, but lots of little parts. Accessory gears, rocker shafts. My engine had 440 hrs SNEW. Nothing was remotely worn, but a pit here and there rendered part after part junk. I'm not complaining as I bought it right and budgeted for the worst case.

Without knowing the salvage yard I'd be a little concerned about their bottom end guarantee as well. If they welch on it, good luck collecting.

Back