What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Where used

craig.roser

When upside down the other day this screw plinked on the canopy. When I turned upright it landed in my lap. I have looked and cannot find an empty hole, and I cannot find a similar screw.

Any ideas where this particular screw is used?

Attachments

• 20210918_070909.jpg
    20210918_070909.jpg
    87 KB · Views: 262
Last edited:
Hi Craig, I personnally never saw that particular screw type in a RV-8 kit.
Could come from an accessory or option installed by the builder...

It's a #8 screw . . . .

I'm thinking too it is from an accessory or option. I can't find or see a hole or a similar screw and nothing is loose

The important stuff is fixed well, I think. (smile)

I used those type screws on my fuel sending unit plate on the inboard wing ribs to facilitate future removal. Other builders have done so also. Others also use them instead of the plan screws in other difficult to access places for screwdrivers. Maybe a leftover?

Hose clamp?

Check any hose clamps that you have in the cabin area to hold such things as scat tube. I’m thinking the clamps that are similar to snugging 2 wires around the tube, not sure of their name

Again, check behind the panel. Isn't that the kind of screw that might be used on switches and switch/breakers?

Finn

A VERY different thought ...

When upside down the other day this screw plinked on the canopy. When I turned upright it landed in my lap. I have looked and cannot find an empty hole, and I cannot find a similar screw.

This looks VERY similar to the screws used in the EarthX batteries.
(Was just working with some.)

Do you have those? If so, have you been working on those lately? And further of so, are they in you cockpit?

Of course, I am assuming that if all the above is true you, dropped an EXTRA one as if one fell you you would have noticed.

Just an "out of the box" idea.

Circuit Breaker’s

I have a bunch of circuit breakers that an airline mechanic friend gave me. They uses screws like that.

Good luck in your search.

Are you the original builder.? You signature indicates no?

I ask because I replaced a large quantity of #8 screws in the cabin with these because they are very easy to drive with an electric screwdriver and a hex socket.
No need to hold pressure on a Phillips bit while in an uncomfortable contorted position.

Original builder could have done same.

Its a NAS1801-08-07 by the way. Spruce caries them.

Last edited:
CB ,Adel,or AVX

Very common screw in the heavy jet industry, most often for Adel clamps , grounding connections or Circuit Breaker terminals. The CB terminal screws are usually shorter # 6 or #8's. My bet is someone was trying to secure an Adel clamp and it went sailing into the abyss, as often happens. I have a zillion or more in my inventory..not a structural screw.

It kinda looks like the screw that comes with 'threaded terminal' batteries.

They are usually 10mm socket head with a Phillips center.

Can't exactly tell from the picture the relative size.

Back