What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Jacking the RV 4

GHARBEN

I have asked this before but I need reassurance. Is is permissible to jack up the TV 4 at the tie down ring on the wing? I am installing new tires and that appears to be the best way.
G Harben
N12HR. O320f

What Kyle said..

I also use the method Kyle mentioned. So happens my Snap On 1/2" breaker bar handle is a perfect fit. Remove the axle nut, slide the bar in, jack it and slide the wheel off ,set on wood block underneath. Minimal risk of a jacking incident...(I have seen a Boeing 767 fall of jacks at my day job)..no Bueno.

I don't recommend it. Use the RV jack and modified axle nuts. I've seen it go very bad once when the jack slipped and penetrated the wing skin. Alternatively you can hoist the engine up.

Stu

I have asked this before but I need reassurance. Is is permissible to jack up the TV 4 at the tie down ring on the wing? I am installing new tires and that appears to be the best way.
G Harben
N12HR. O320f

Lift under the main spar with your back near the wing tip. Have someone slide a well padded saw horse under the wing. RV4s are easy to lift this way.

I don't recommend it. Use the RV jack and modified axle nuts. I've seen it go very bad once when the jack slipped and penetrated the wing skin. Alternatively you can hoist the engine up.

Stu

only if you are lifting using the engine mount. NEVER LIFT AN AIRCRAFT USING THE LIFT LUG ON THE ENGINE
doing that you are putting a lot if force on a very expensive part that was not designed to take that load.

bob burns
RV-4 N82RB

Back