What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV4 electric flap retrofit install question

gggflyer

I am installing the electric flap kit on a new to me rv4. I have everything clecoed in place but i am noticing that EF-401 has about a 3/16 gap from the side rib as the actuator is moving forward and backward (see red arrow in pic) my concern is that when flaps are extended in flight, the force required will put a load on the EF-403 bracket and rib such that it will flex and the EF-401 will contact the rib on the actuator side (by red arrow) when it is moving and is in the perpendicular position.

Does anyone recall from their build, how much space was between the EF-401 and the rib (red arrow) when the EF-401 is perpendicular to the ribs.

Thanks

George

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210804-090834_OneDrive.jpg
    Screenshot_20210804-090834_OneDrive.jpg
    275.7 KB · Views: 110
Mine is same and no issue

I built my -4 and installed the set-up per plans. It is close, but there has been no issues. Between the skin and the floor structure (when installed) there is plenty of rigidity. The weakest link in the flap system from air load is the small rod from the weldment to the flap on each side.

I did a retro on one RV4 & ran into that interference. I solved it by tapping a bulge into the seat rib so it wouldn't rub. I guess another way would be to cut a clearance hole in the rib where necessary, if enough flange edge width is maintained.

I did a retro on one RV4 & ran into that interference. I solved it by tapping a bulge into the seat rib so it wouldn't rub. I guess another way would be to cut a clearance hole in the rib where necessary, if enough flange edge width is maintained.

You wouldnt happen to have a pic of the bulge fix you did?

What tool did youuse to make the bulge. I didnt build the RV and am new to this fabricating stuff so not sure how to create bulges.

Thanks in advance.

Back