What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Cowl Pins

Does anyone have a easy way to put the top cowling pins in at the firewall.I can hardly fit my hand through the oil .

Years ago, (25 or 26-years) I made a slot and cover plate to get the top firewall cowl pins out without using the oil check / fill door. The cover plate has stops to keep the hinge pins from coming out and is held to the metal on the airplane with two #4 screws and platenuts.

Years ago, (25 or 26-years) I made a slot and cover plate to get the top firewall cowl pins out without using the oil check / fill door. The cover plate has stops to keep the hinge pins from coming out and is held to the metal on the airplane with two #4 screws and platenuts.

Pretty much what I did on my RV-10. Welded a SS tab to the pin end, fabricated a recess in the center of the top cowling, and nested both tabs with a Camloc 2700 series SS stud to hold the dabs down. Doing the same on my 9-A.

Does anyone have a easy way to put the top cowling pins in at the firewall.I can hardly fit my hand through the oil .

I find it very helpful to stand on a short ladder or footstool to make it easier to put my arm into the oil filler door.

YMMV

I too do as PC Hunt describes. Even a one-step ladder makes it a lot easier.

My upper cowl pins at the firewall have an S bend in the end and lock into a keeper made from a single section of hinge cut in half lengthwise that the bent portion nests into with spring tension. It takes a pretty good press on that portion to release it from the half-round keeper to unlock the end.

Tony, I hear people really love the Skybolt fastener system around the firewall. I have worked on a plane recently that had them and it was a one man job on and off.. really easy.I just don’t know if I would have the guts to install them on your new paint!

Back