What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Oshkosh questions -first time flying in

Ti-Downs

20+ years ago I got titanium corkscrews that absolutely won’t break and hold better and only weigh 2lbs.

I still have my set and they're AWESOME!

Someone will have to pry them out of my cold dead hands to get a hold of mine.....

Not that I know of

Are they still available?
Will the vendor be at Osh?

If I remember correctly, it was a one time group buy back in 1999 or so from the old Matronics forum. I haven't seen or heard of any since until the previous post.

Sorry

EAA has that figured out. In fact they have contingency plans for contingency plans. The flightline and parking has it's own control tent near warbirds with some seasoned EAA volunteers that know exactly what to do and parking overflow is one of the easiest things for them to contend with.

I cannot arrive until Monday. I’ve flown in in the past but this will be my first time to be eligible for HBC parking (RV-8 😎). In past years I recall GAC being full and arrivals being forced to go to one of the alternates. My question is does anyone have insight into whether there will be available parking in the home built by Monday? Does it tend to fill up completely on Monday and Tuesday?

Thanks.

I cannot arrive until Monday. I’ve flown in in the past but this will be my first time to be eligible for HBC parking (RV-8 😎). In past years I recall GAC being full and arrivals being forced to go to one of the alternates. My question is does anyone have insight into whether there will be available parking in the home built by Monday? Does it tend to fill up completely on Monday and Tuesday?

Thanks.

Homebuilt camping has never filled up. That doesn't mean it won't, but I'd take it as a good indicator. A suggestion if you're concerned - post a question to the forum the evening before you departure and/or call a buddy who's on-site. You should be able to get a feel for how full things are.

Thanks.

Homebuilt camping has never filled up. That doesn't mean it won't, but I'd take it as a good indicator. A suggestion if you're concerned - post a question to the forum the evening before you departure and/or call a buddy who's on-site. You should be able to get a feel for how full things are.
As others have posted, OSH will never turn away a homebuilt airplane. They will find a spot for you. Not the case for factory builds. Of course that does not mean there will not be a lot of planes there.

Okay, time to ask the dumbest question of the day. Is there anything else I need in order to camp at HBC other than my RV-7A? No registration, nothing else? Just the HBC sign? Just trying to make sure as HBC is A LOT closer to everything and I don't want to park with all the Cirrus guys. :D

Okay, time to ask the dumbest question of the day. Is there anything else I need in order to camp at HBC other than my RV-7A? No registration, nothing else? Just the HBC sign? Just trying to make sure as HBC is A LOT closer to everything and I don't want to park with all the Cirrus guys. :D

Nope. Just your RV (or other experimental EAB), a smile, and a big HBC sign (print the one from the website). Show up, and the rest is gravy. If you find any kind of simple confusion once on the field, just ask someone.

And before someone says NOTAM, we already know that Jereme has had his printed off for weeks and has read it many times, heck, I wouldn't be surprised if he already has a copy in the airplane :).

Last edited:
Nope. Just your RV (or other experimental EAB), a smile, and a big HBC sign (print the one from the website). Show up, and the rest is gravy. If you find any kind of simple confusion once on the field, just ask someone.

Perfect, thanks Scott!

My experience with screw-in tie-downs is that they destroy the integrity of the soil in their diameter. They just churn it up. It's especially bad in the sandier or more arid parts of the country, where they can't be counted on.

I use stakes. So far they seem to hold okay.

For ropes, I will not accept nylon or polypropylene because they stretch too much. Polyester is acceptable. You can save weight by spending some money for a decent racing sailboat line such as Warpspeed, a polyester covered rope with a Dyneema core. It's a good rope. The 1/4" diameter has a breaking strength of 5,100 pounds.

Most such ropes are nearly as good and a smaller diameter is lighter and usually less expensive. I'd insist on at least 1,500 pounds strength, though, since the knot will reduce the actual strength. Endurabraid, for example, is available in 3/16"diameter at about a buck per foot, and has a strength of 3,100 pounds. Another decent rope.

Dave

Last edited:
Not to high jack this thread but I plan on flying in Friday arriving around 11am , do you think it will be crazy trying to get in towards the end of the event ? I don’t have much time to take off work since we just got back from vacation but I was wanting to do a Friday - Sunday 7/30/8-1. I’ve been to Oshkosh in 2019 but took the motorhome now I want to fly in.

Not to high jack this thread but I plan on flying in Friday arriving around 11am , do you think it will be crazy trying to get in towards the end of the event ? I don’t have much time to take off work since we just got back from vacation but I was wanting to do a Friday - Sunday 7/30/8-1. I’ve been to Oshkosh in 2019 but took the motorhome now I want to fly in.

I think it will be a breeze for you - few inbounds, and Sunday outbounds aren’t that bad (in my experience).

Before anyone else feels the need to post about high vs low track into Osh please kindly refrain. Paul answered the question as per the NOTAM. I started this thread as a flying to Airventure for the first time questionnaire and the high vs low question got a thread closed 2 days ago quicker than you can say hot potato. Sorry to be that guy but I would like this one to stay open. Thanks everyone, this thread has been very valuable so far! :)

Last edited:
RV’s are fully capable of 90 knots, so the low road is the appropriate choice according to the NOTAM.

I hear both on live atc which is why I asked , I planned on the 90 KNot but I could see where flying at 1300 rpms around a lake forever would get annoying if I ran into a bunch of traffic lol

Back