What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Intersection/leg fairing

ebackscheider

There are lots of threads, many dated with the RV6. What are good options for a novice (I didn't build this plane) in fiberglass to move from metal fairing's and old paints to the newer cleaner ones?

Pressure Paints
Fiberglass intersection and leg fairing's

Thanks!

A couple things

You indicate you are a "novice" which puts you in the same category as MANY RV builders. Do you have any experience with fiberglass? There is little involved with fabricating the upper and lower intersection fairings, and there are also some aftermarket pre-made ones available that just take a little finesse to final fit. All the wheel pant bracketry and attach hardware is available from VANs, and the drawings for them can be provided easily especially if you have obtained the original builder number. The alignment may be your biggest challenge, as they have to be positioned and located while the aircraft is jacked/leveled in flight attitude with the gear off the ground. The leg fairings are pre-made, but need trimmed and the trailing edge hinges (sort of a zipper) need drilled, riveted to the fiberglass. My RV-4 is similar, and I (as most) fabricated the intersection fairings by using modeling clay smoothed to shape then laying up glass over top. This is then peeled off and trimmed to fit. Do it! your plane will love wearing big pants!!

I used Fairings-etc intersection fairings with good results when I did the same.
You will need to do some fiberglass work regardless, so just accept that!

There are lots of threads, many dated with the RV6. What are good options for a novice (I didn't build this plane) in fiberglass to move from metal fairing's and old paints to the newer cleaner ones?

Pressure Paints
Fiberglass intersection and leg fairing's

Thanks!

I'd just order all of it from Van's. Their RV-7 setup should work with minimum modification as long as you buy the bracketry with the wheel pants.

Back