What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Welcome Aboard, McFarlane Aviation Products

rv7boy

Forum Peruser
I am glad to see Doug introduce a new advertiser. McFarlane Aviation Products has supplied me with several parts for my C172. High quality, responsive service and a fair price.

And I can highly recommend their D A M Window Cleaner (yes, that’s the name) for cleaning aircraft windshields and windows. Here’s the link

https://www.mcfarlaneaviation.com/products/product/DAM17-16/

P.S. They are located on a 3000 ft grass airport near Baldwin City Kansas. I considered flying there to pick up my parts but it’s a bit far for my tired 172. Another reason to finish the RV7. The airport is Vinland Valley Aerodrome and their website encourages customers to fly in.

https://skyvector.com/airport/K64/Vinland-Valley-Aerodrome-Airport

Last edited:
Great! They make first-rate aircraft-grade quadrant cables to install instead of the short-lived ones that Van's sells.

Yes, they are expensive. But if you ever have to replace a Van's cable on a finished RV-8, (and you will, it is a matter of when, not if) you will realize they are worth every penny! Smooth as butter.

Just a fan . . .

Great! They make first-rate aircraft-grade quadrant cables to install instead of the short-lived ones that Van's sells.

Yes, they are expensive. But if you ever have to replace a Van's cable on a finished RV-8, (and you will, it is a matter of when, not if) you will realize they are worth every penny! Smooth as butter.

+1 I suppose expensive is a relative term, but they are certainly well designed, include the extra little ball bearings when (accidentally) over extended!

My oil cooler shutter would not stay in position, and looked for a small diameter locking cable. McFarlane was the place, had the knobs with desired shapes/colors and the function has been flawless. The alternate combustion air door got one too and it allowed some preload when closed to keep it in place. Engraving offered too.

McFarlane custom throttle for 7A

I ordered a custom throttle assembly from them for my RV-7A. They sell a fantastic "Vernier Assist" throttle, and I use this for formation flying.

That's right: I used the words "Vernier" and "formation" in the same sentence.

Now let's be clear: This is not a true Vernier throttle but, rather, a hybrid.
True Vernier throttles (with the center push button lock) are an absolute NO-NO for formation flight because you need unrestricted throttle control when on the wing. That's not how this throttle works. It does not have a center push-button lock. It does have a normal friction adjustment at the base, but it also allows you to freely twist-turn the throttle to micro-adjust the MAP just like a true Vernier throttle (cruise). Normal push-pull power adjustment is unrestricted other than the friction adjuster (formation). The best of both worlds.

And it is SMOOTH.

Their Vernier assist throttles come in 4', 5', and 6' prebuilt versions, but my setup for an IO-360 M1B requires a 52"custom build, which basically doubled the price. IT WAS WORTH IT. I'm certain that if they offered specific throttles optimized by typical RV-6/7/8/9/14 engine setups, they'd sell quite a few of them.

I love this throttle, for formation, cruise, all aspects of flying KELLI GIRL.

https://www.mcfarlaneaviation.com/products/category/vernier-assist-throttle-controls-2/

Welcome aboard, McFarlane! :cool:

custom cables

My three cables are custom McFarlane cables - it was many years ago (2013?), but Holly, Autumn, Haylie, and Joe were awesome to deal with. And my cables are really nice. :D

IMG_1632.jpg

I purchased my MT Prop from them. McFarlane is now the north American distributor for MT. They were absolutely fantastic to deal with and answered all of my silly questions. McFarlane is putting these in a wooden crate that that looks like it would survive a nuclear blast!

I spent some time in a Mooney that had their vernier assist in it. It quickly became a "must have" for my -14,

Very glad to see these guys on board. What great people!

Fred

Yep, love em.

3 years, 560 hours on my control cables. Still smooth. And NO added labeling required.
CEEDB146-1-F17-481-E-BA79-74075505-D983.jpg
[/url][/IMG]

Back