What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Mystery Tool

DanH

Legacy Member
Mentor
Here's what I know. It's made by Starrett. It counts revolutions of the shaft (actual number, not RPM). The shaft has a rubber cap on the end assumed to be for friction. The rotating dial counter is shown zeroed. It will count in either direction, 100 revs per 360 degrees. The thumb-forefinger handle on the left is stationary.

So what is its purpose? When would it be used, and how/why? I don't know.

Just off the top of my head--------something to do with threads per inch, or something to determine gear ratios.

I am leaning toward gear ratios.

I have one also, given to me by my father in law who ran a big lathe back in the days.

It?s a revolution counter, placed on the end of a rotating shaft for a specific time indicating RPM.
Was developed for machine shop use when machines were powered by line shafts.

If you look at an old engine shaft you will see a conical depression machined into its end. The rubber cone on this tool fit into the depression. The fellows are correct...RPM could be measured with a watch.

Jim

Thank you gentlemen. I like the cutting speed measurement with the wheel!

It came from the toolbox of an old friend and mentor who passed recently. I have other ways to measure RPM, so I think I'll retire it to an honored place on the shop wall.

Back