What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

3D printed washer wrench

dwranda

Well Known Member
I bought my wife a 3d printer for mothers day to have fun with making things for her craft hobby. Yesterday I gave her a useful project idea(not that her crafty things aren't useful:)). I had her design and print a washer wrench. I tried it out and it works pretty well. I'll just have her change it a little when I need different sizes. Technology is amazing!!
2zipr0h.jpg
[/IMG]

She used a program called tinkercad and had it designed in about an hour. It's only saved on her computer so I don't have a link to it.
To answer the other question.....yes it wouldn't take much to design it to also hold a nut. If you can imagine it and have the smarts to design it using one of these programs you can do pretty much anything.

I bought my wife a 3d printer for mothers day to have fun with making things for her craft hobby. Yesterday I gave her a useful project idea(not that her crafty things aren't useful:)). I had her design and print a washer wrench. I tried it out and it works pretty well. I'll just have her change it a little when I need different sizes. Technology is amazing!!
2zipr0h.jpg
[/IMG]

Definitely neat! I think other applications for small 3D printers would be small fairings and covers that wouldn't be worth the time to lay up in fiberglass or carbon. I have a friend whose son is working on a degree in manufacturing technology, who just bought a small printer, and the things he is turning out have a lot of potential.

She used a program called tinkercad and had it designed in about an hour. It's only saved on her computer so I don't have a link to it.
To answer the other question.....yes it wouldn't take much to design it to also hold a nut. If you can imagine it and have the smarts to design it using one of these programs you can do pretty much anything.

You can share creations on Tinkercad. Anyone with an account can search through the 3D models.

Paige

I'll have her make the file available to all. She's new to that program but we'll figure it out. I had my son design and print and small fairing to go over the fuel drains. It's similar to one that's sold and made out of aluminum. It came out OK but needs a little tweaking. A fairing over the fuel drain is totally unnecessary, but it will look cool and weighs almost nothing made out of plastic.

3D file storage and distribution

Load here and give out the link. Free and easy. I think you just set up a free account and load the file. Include a pic of what it is.

Made a couple of Raspberry Pi boxes with a couple of files I downloaded free from here.

http://www.thingiverse.com

Brian

Put up a list of washer sizes you would like to have tool for and I will put some of the tool files in thingverse and post the link here.

-larosta

Well, Gary, there's your perfect opportunity/excuse to get SolidWorks for free from EAA and learn how to use it! Even for a retired guy it ain't that difficult. ;)

Heinrich

I have SolidWorks installed on my Windows machine and did take a look at it. Yes I will need training to learn how to use it. I have learned a lot from other Dummies books so maybe this will be my next Dummies guide.

I have uploaded a similar washer holding tool to Thingiverse.

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1848508

This is for a MS-27183-54 Washer. I have included the native Solidworks file an .stl file for those wanting to use it directly on a 3D printer, and a .stp file for those wanting to use a different 3D modeling tool. If you have a different washer you need to use let me know and I will see what I can do. I may even take a crack at a combination washer/nut tool if someone needs one.

- larosta

Last edited:
Great

I use Google Sketchup Make to design my parts. I have done a number of parts like guides for the tip up canopy. Works quite well.

One trick I learned regarding the WW tool is on the ailerons, there is a stack up that is difficult to assemble, it is a lot easier to install the push control rod onto the aileron and then slide the rod through the rear spar and then mount the aileron onto the wing.

Back