What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Journey Of A Lifetime (long)

Vlad

Well Known Member
It took me two years to get ready. Enormous amount of planning and training went into it. I wanted to do something different on this trip. I wanted to use my airplane not as a means of my body delivery from point A to point B but rather as a sightseeing platform. I wanted to stretch the route legs as far as I could. To places off beaten paths, where very few homebuilt aircrafts ever been if any.
I wanted to prove to those who are still making decisions to build your own aircraft or not and for those hesitant to leave the home state. Build and go! If I can do it anybody can.

That's how my 20 days odyssey looked like when I planned it.

The plan was to fly every day unless adverse weather prevents it. I budgeted hotels along the route. To get a good night sleep was Task #1. I could skip a meal but I must have a decent rest.

The sightseeing platform is Day VFR RV-9A. Since manufactured in 2011 she accumulated more then 2,000 enjoyable hours. She has a carbureted Lycoming engine and a wood propeller. Platform driver is a Private Pilot who mostly works during the day, flies in the evenings and sleeps at night. He is also a weekend warrior and not instrument rated.

Let's see what came out of this grand plan. :D

Day 1 And Three Quarters

My airplane was ready gear packed a day prior. I managed to get all work done an hour early without lunch break. Whew!!! Let's run out of this sweat shop as far as I can!

My first stop was Lansing, MI. My good old friend and an RV9A builder Rocky is still deployed there. Working on a huge construction project instead of building his own aircraft. Come here Rusky, said Rocky, you will be gassed, fed and well rested.

It was a great evening. We toured his job site, had a nice dinner at the best restaurant in town then went to a movie theater to watch the latest Star Trek.
I had a good night sleep. Early morning Rocky fueled me and I blasted off westbound. The Big Show of Oshkosh was still in full swing when I crossed Michigan Lake from Ludington to Manitowoc.

I landed at two grass strips in Wisconsin then headed to Superior KSUW for a lunch break.

Nice taxiway markings.

Couple hours more and two more grass fields under my belt.

One being Fort Peck, Montana.

The day of great flying ended at Chinook, Montana. Outside air temperature was on the warmer side as it usually is in July. A short walk to town and I was in a cozy and cool room at the lodge right under that water tower. It has a decent Asian restaurant and they served some fine spirits. :D

Day 1 3/4 was great. Later in the evening I walked to the airport through this small town. Just to check on my airplane tiewdowns. Local mosquitos were vicious. It looks like they liked those couple promille of alcohol in the blood.

Last edited:
Day 2. Big Sky of Montana and The House of Troy

If you have an airworthy airplane, completed your BFR and never been to Montana, take a couple days off and go! One of the prettiest and friendliest places to fly. Flying in Montana never gets old you can even legally land on an adjacent road if you find a strip like Russian Flat is too rough.

I did visit one of the newest airstrips in US. M42 Russian Flat brought my first crack in nose wheel fairing. I looked through registration log and didn't see any RV listed. I am the first one I guess. Took a little hike very pretty place.

I landed at a big airport for fuel then flew to a picturesque location by Lewis Lake 7S7. Walked to town for a cup of coffee stretched my legs and in an hour or so was airborne again. I was heading to Cut Bank, Montana to meet the second ship who will join me on this mega trip.

Cut Bank was hot and friendly. Chip Diggins my wingman finally caught on me. He departed Boston area one day later zigzagging around lines of T-stoms. We will stay united for at least 18 hours.

Next run was to Del Bonita for Canadian Customs. We both hold CANPASS but Chip was going to Canada first time and had to meet the officers. There is a grass runway in Whetstone, Montana which has two identifiers and located between two outposts. That was our next stop to meet Canadian CBP.

Customs invited us to their building for some paperwork and we were heading north shortly. Weather was looking sketchy by Calgary and we decided to divert to High River instead of Vernon. Troy Branch, a serial builder and an avid traveller, shot me an email. Don't be shy guys he said come here and wait it over.

Winds were howling I don't even remember how I landed there. Chip went around and planted his RV on an intersecting taxiway. Troy with the coolest "Follow Me" apparatus scooted us down to his hangar.

We were serviced by BranchAir then Troy took us to a dinner. Later we toured his mansion, had a chat and slept like babies. Tomorrow will be a long day...

What a great trip. Thanks for the chance to be a part of it on your first day! I can't wait to read the rest of "The Chronicles of a flying Russian!"

Been waiting for this.

Thanks Vlad. You don't know it but your one of my biggest motivators. Can't wait for the next edition of " journey of a lifetime".:D

Vlad,

If I knew you were coming to High River, I would come down from Calgary for the pleasure of meeting a great guy like you! You are the hero of VAF.

Nedim

Day 3. Flight of Two Separated

Troy Branch knows his territories. He gave us tons of suggestions on local sightseeing. A corridor to the north was about to open when we followed Troy to the fuel pumps.

I didn't need any gas but Chip tanked it full. His RV is more powerful and burns some extra Go-Juice. He takes over the radio and boldly leads me through the maze of Calgary airspace. Man he is sharp on push to talk I wish I were that articulate.

Some buildups are growing again over the mountains. I decide to sneak into Ram Falls airstrip before the wall of rain hits it. 20 minutes the most I have to catch a bighorn sheep. Chip is patiently holding in clearer skies.

Anyway, I spotted two moving targets on a cliff but by the time I landed they were gone. Another 10 minutes of search while airborne yielding nothing. A bit upset I am, the first wildlife gone not captured on camera. Well, the journey has just began there will be many wild animals to see.

Next stop is Wolf Lake. Very nice camping grounds and a good grass strip. Chip was waiting for me there.

He is a Navy brat and knows how to make a great hot meal without any fire. The amount of military rations he carried is enough for us to survive a month in the tundra. Good job Chip!

We dined dense then kept pushing north. Stopped to refuel at Edson and learned that on the weekend there is no way to get gas.

It's kind of getting gloomy again. Chip takes off seconds later and loses me between cloud layers. 20 minutes of intense air-to-air communications and we still can't find each other. Then he hits the wall of fog and diverts to alternate. I plug the oxygen in and spiral up in a hole on top of all this mess. Almost three hours later I land at an airport with a functional fuel pump. I called Chip he is safely on the ground and performs some non essential troubleshooting. He will be chasing me for two days to Dawson City, Yukon Territory...

Last edited:
Still Day 3...

The worst of the weather was behind me. Chip reported his RV is in top shape and he is on the way to hotel. Whew awesome! I am feeling great and could easily fly for several more hours.

I intercept Alaskan Highway and follow it for an hour. Bladder calls and magically an airport appears. Prophet River, BC it's a tight spot. Fishermen don't care neither their dogs.

10 minutes on the ground and I am on my way to Mile422 on Alaska Highway.

Toad River Lodge was mentioned to me by Greg Arehart several years ago. Beautiful place.

Sea of hats in the restaurant. I couldn't see neither VAF nor Vans but I didn't hang my hat there.

Toad River. Stop there stay overnight you won't regret.

Knew you would love Ram Falls and Wolf Lake. They are both great spots to just get away:D That was quite a day for you two. Did that turn co-ordinator keep doing what it suppose too.:)

Day 4. Almost 8 hours airborne love every minute!

Well rested I left Toad River Lodge and airport. Weather forecast looked stellar for all day up to the North Pole. I decided to track Alcan till intersection at Robert Campbell highway then take it to Klondike.

There are famous Liard Hot Springs and I know at least two pilots who landed Piper Cubs nearby and took a dip in the springs. I wasn't so lucky traffic on Alaska Highway was pretty intense and nearly all pockets by it were either blocked by signs or occupied by different RVs.

To find a landing spot on Alaska Highway is not easy. If a stretch of the road looks straight from the air and you scouted traffic on both sides, at the flare you couldn't see anything then you bail out. These are side roads and a runway between them. Do you see it? Me neither.

If there is a perfect mile it's usually occupied by the locals. Hey, is there any hey on the centerline?

Could you buffalos please move out?

Definitely these animals are not too intelligent welcome to the club.

I managed to do a touch and go elsewhere on the road for the record then landed at Ross River airport in Yukon. Parked at the end of the gravel strip and walked to the village to get some provisions. Chip with military rations was a day away and my supplies were low.

Indigenous people managed the only grocery store and while I walked the isles a lady cashier followed me watching closely. Weird feeling. I bought some snacks and water they gladly took Yankee roubles I didn't have local currency.
Walked 10 min back to airplane all village dogs were barking. :D

Day 4 continued

Watson Lake was a fuel stop and a museum tour. There was a strong wind which was very helpful to dissipate the heat of a very warm day.

The terminal itself is a museum and there are a lot of interesting pictures telling about WW2 Land Lease.

The young lad who managed the radio told me that in all Yukon there is no internet and phone services today. Not a big deal skies are clear. He also told me where the famous wreck is located and promised to watch the airspace for me till I find it. I found it thanked the guy and went my way.

Then I spend couple hours looking for that perfect stretch on the highway. Several unique airfields were on the way and on nearly all of them I managed to land to a full stop. I didn't know that one of our forum members has a little parish in Yukon hi Glen. :D

The most memorable strip was Minto by Yukon River. I walked the banks thought of swimming in clear water but it was surprisingly cold on such a hot day.

Then I found it!

Last edited:
seinfeld-popcorn.gif

Klondike Highway Landing

Then I finally found that perfect mile. It had a pocket leading to a mine. No auto traffic observed I land and taxi to the pocket. Visibility great not a soul or grizzly around. By the time I got out and started heading to the bushes two cars stopped. Do you need any help?

Shoot that was fast where they came from. Sure I could use some help. Please you guys run to both sides and stop whoever is coming in 10 minutes sharp? I will be taking off this way. Kids were happy to help.

Let's get out of here before cops come.

In an hour I landed at Dawson City airport. Chip was already there helping a maintenance crew to change a blown tire on a 737. He is an A&P and worked on those tires for like thirty years or more.

By the time I landed Chip made tons of friends and arranged pretty much everything. Someone drove us to the best hotel in town. It was a great day. Tomorrow promised to be even better.

Last edited:

Are those Lockheed 188 Electras? :eek:

Certainly is. Not many of them left, most of them are air tankers as is this one. More than half of the remaining dozen or so are based out my home field, CYQF Red Deer. Air Spray is the biggest operator.

Last edited:
Welcome to Alberta

Welcome Vlad to Alberta! I see you have discovered the Ram Falls airstrip, this is a hidden little gem with great hiking, camping and fishing. I hope you enjoy the rest of your trip!

Journey of a Lifetime

Vlad, have photo of covered ceiling cap collection in Toad River, lunch there via Fall ground trip. There was a helicopter & a RV6 parked on the gravel strip across from the restaurant. Chopper took the cook into the bush hunting camp.Did you see the XL beaver dam on the S. side of the Lodge? also elk on the NW hillside.

Welcome Vlad to Alberta! I see you have discovered the Ram Falls airstrip, this is a hidden little gem with great hiking, camping and fishing. I hope you enjoy the rest of your trip!

Thanks Garrett what a beautiful country you are living in.

Vlad, have photo of covered ceiling cap collection in Toad River, lunch there via Fall ground trip. There was a helicopter & a RV6 parked on the gravel strip across from the restaurant. Chopper took the cook into the bush hunting camp.Did you see the XL beaver dam on the S. side of the Lodge? also elk on the NW hillside.

Scott RV6 is still there. I spoke to the owner in the morning he has a lodge nearby. He completed his plane in late nineties and flies regularly. Has some nice mods there. He shared some intel on local spots including the beaver dam.

I cant believe I missed VLad the RV 7 man!

I live and work in Edson and yes it has been very wet here lately. Some few weeks ago it was so hot we lost most of Fort McMurray to a large forest fire which is why those Electras were still here. One is usually stationed here always but not two.

These are excellent pics, excellent journeys and make me so motivated to keep banging those rivets, Thanks Vlad.

Great journey

Day 5. Fairbanks The Coldest City of America

We woke up early. Nice view from the hotel window. Dawson City still sleeps.

Breakfast, shuttle, fuel, file and we are ready to go. A Yukon airliner was going our way.

Every time a heavier aircraft takes off or land a grader follows. It's a gravel runway and the scraper levels off all ruts and uneven spots.

We take off on 1 minute interval and follow Yukon River to the northwest. As soon as Chip loses visual contact we occupy different echelons and head to Eagles PAEG hoping for Anchorage Center radar contact. Of course I am getting a wicked squawk code.

They picked us up and I figured I am 3 minutes behind Chip he got quite a rocket ship. The Yukon MOAs will be hot in 30 minutes. Chip goes up to 12.5 I sit at 8,500' and watch the show. Range Control tells Chip where his traffic is. Very strange traffic of three F16s they flew behind him then climbed into space. It was quick but impressive I didn't have a camera powerful enough to capture this. Finally Mertie Mountains are behind and we are in a cold stormy valley.

ATC vectors each of us around active R-2205. Several Predators were parked at Ladds field first time I've seen them this close. Dodging showers I land in sequence.

We find each other on the field and ask ground control to reposition for customs. Our company the Yukon airliner was already there.

We clear within 20 minutes the Customs is very efficient there. Keep in mind they have to clear a lot of airline passengers.

We park on the General Aviation side. What amazed me at the fuel pump is their grounding system never seen it anywhere else. Until the aircraft is properly grounded (not just clamped or connected) you won't be able to pump avgas. The buzzer goes off and the system shuts down. Very safe setup.

After fueling we were approached by three very polite gentlemen in FAA vehicle. They introduced themselves, asked several questions and permission to take a look at the airplanes. Then they handed out specific to Alaska printing material which was very timely and quite interesting. In the hotel Chip was reading me a safety pamphlet and off airport landing guide my English comprehension wasn't that good. We didn't watch TV that night but I had a drink.

We are very close to the Arctic Circle tomorrow we might cross it. Chip is still optimistic but looks very tired...

Last edited:
Journey of a Lifetime

Vlad-thanks for Toad River RV6 reply. He obviously has access to hangar seasonally.Unfortunate couldn't land @ Lair Hot Springs. In the lodge-restaurant combo they have a full body Wolf under glass on the railing to the rest rooms. Per previous photo low by the Buffalo, or trying to land, yes confined there via grass alleyway between hvy. timber. Briefly, per CB on, lady in sm. car couldn't get thru, surrounded her vehicle. The Buffalo/Bison were itching their back on her car, raising it up + down off the ground. ...she was screaming.Great photos, story, narration.

My wife and I visited Dawson City last year on an Alaskan Cruise/Tour and rode that 737 (or one just like it) from Dawson City to Fairbanks. I was wondering what it would be like to take off from a gravel strip in a 737, but that plane rocketed out of there like a dragster. Probably because it was not fully fueled or heavily loaded. Dawson City was fun. They had a can-can show that was a real hoot and of course it was broad daylight when we left at 10:00 pm. Lots of fun.

Day 6. Crossed Arctic Circle

My trusty wingman and good friend Chip made a tough decision. To turn back enter CONUS and land in every state. I salute him he made it that far very few RV drivers are able to do that. Well done brother well done! I will catch you on the way back stay safe as you always told me.

Goodbye Fairbanks I am heading north. No traffic at 5 am.

My next stop was Bettles PABT. A humongous gravel strip with fuel available. There is also a lodge and a little cafe. A pilot who flies charter to that strip said he couldn't afford to stay there and eat there. Bettles airport has road access.

The Yukon River Bridge is pretty much at the Arctic Circle latitude.

I landed the gravel wasn't great for fully panted RV wheels. For bush wheels it's not a problem.

Couple locals came out asked what kind of plane I am and what I am doing here. Just passing by I said.

Next stop was Coldfoot PACX...

Vlad, you are THE MAN. Keep it coming. Sorry you couldn't stop by for a Sharky's-on-the-pier beverage.

Last edited:
Coldfoot, Alaska

The farther north I go the lower are the ceilings, the colder temperature and narrower dew point spread. There are two main ways to get on the north side of Brooks Range I was told. One via Anaktavuk Pass and another through Atigun. The first one is said to be of lower terrain and easier but being first timer in that territory I chose Dalton Highway as my alternate in case weather goes sour. Satellite imagery and prognostic charts didn't look too encouraging in both corridors. Atigun Pass it is. One hour away and it took me about ... no first let's get there. :)

Coldfoot airport PACX was under a massive construction. They kept it pretty organized. All areas were well marked and flagged. The wind was a good 15 knots on the nose with occasional rain and temperature in lower 40ies on a day of August the 3rd, 2016.

A very Irish looking man got out of a bush plane and walked toward me. What is this? Never saw a beauty that shiny! Where are you from? What you forgot here in Coldfood? Do you have rubber boots? If not we can give you a pair.

We had a great conversation (he talked mostly) about his Russian neighbors then he directed me toward a trucker camp. The camp has a diner it's a 10 minutes walk on a muddy road. I remember these two truckers they greeted me so stay tuned.

This is the diner. Time stalled inside. The staff was friendly but not moving at all.

I ordered a breakfast and it took them 43 minutes to make two eggs over easy. Internet is provided by satellite and you have to buy a token to log in. Even after that the connection is not guaranteed. I wish I could stop the time Coldfoot style. A walk back under the rain now I know what that pilot meant when he was offering me a pair of rubber boots.

I start the engine back taxi the runway and right after applying full power the oil door pops up I forgot to close it. A radio call a question thrown in the air a quick stop at the numbers a run under torrential rain to close the oil door and I am airborne again. Well fed, properly exercised and ready for Atigun Pass. The fun day has begun...

I read the locals at Bettles were a miserable group. By your comment I am tending to believe it. Better to just stay low.

"Couple locals came out asked what kind of plane I am and what I am doing here. Just passing by I said."

Vlad, I believe a vasectomy would cost you a mortgage! :D

That was funny Sheriff :D

I was just about to ask how he on earth he's able to flare. If ya know what I mean.

Still trying to get it Dale...

I read the locals at Bettles were a miserable group. By your comment I am tending to believe it. Better to just stay low.

"Couple locals came out asked what kind of plane I am and what I am doing here. Just passing by I said."

They were OK it's a workday in the middle of nowhere. I have no idea what kind of jobs they have Steve.

Trips...

What a great Continent, Pictuers, Planes, and Pilots....... incredible

greatings from Big Austria:)

Manfred

Afternoon of Day 6. Frozen.

A radio comes alive a bushy Cessna in opposite direction. Hi guys how it looks up there? Bad we couldn't make it through the pass they said. What are you up to? I am an experimental trying to make it to Galbraith Lake. Don't even try I doubt you can even make the shelf... unless you go IFR... Hmmm the shelf? what shelf?

Then it clicked. Chandalar Shelf Airport 5CD.

Dalton Highway started steep climb and I hopped over a higher terrain with it. The ceiling suddenly dropped but the airport was already under me. Let me relax a bit. I land on the Shelf 5CD and tuck my airplane in the corner. An idling truck was sitting at the parking spot the guy was sleeping. I moved my airplane a bit in case he wakes up and starts backing off in this heavy snow. The airstrip has so little real estate you have to be careful where you park.

I don my raingear and deplane to explore the vicinities. It was a surprise to see such a snow storm early August. Three days ago I was sweating in Montana lets appreciate a little chill. In one week I will be tracking the Wall in California in sweltering heat. It's good to have some snow once in a while.

A company was digging to lay a fiber optics duct. Them guys were talkers. They said the storm is a regular thing here. In couple hours there might be blue skies then snowfall again. Good to hear.

In case I am stuck they said there is a DOT employees' quarters half a mile from here you are guaranteed a roof. Then I saw those trucks.

It took them three hours to get here from Coldfoot. The truckers smiled when they saw me.

They all had Iridium sat phones and called their buddies to ask how weather looks like along the highway. They definitely had better equipment then my airplane. Sit and wait was the sentence.

In two hours the ceiling lifted a bit I took off and flew to Atigun Pass. Nope, still unpassable. Another hour or so browsing on foot. At least the snowfall stopped.

In an hour a large hole opened up in the skies right over the airport. Keeping that in mind I am taking off and approaching the Pass again. A helicopter was going southbound how is it? We literally crawled over the road the pilot lady said. What are the tops? 41 hundred.

Decision made I go on top and between the layers first layer tops at 4,000' and bases of second layer are in the flight levels. Carb heat on I retreated couple miles south where the hole in the sky was and set the power for a slow steady climb to 11,500 feet not penetrating any clouds. Turned the oxygen on and thought of how good a flying life is almost fell asleep so nice I felt. Set course to Barter Island PABA staying over Dalton Highway as long as I could.

Civilian pros could skip the following paragraph, amateur flyers and military keep reading.

At 11.5 I give a touch of trim to return to level flight. Another touch what the heck never needed that much. A third one... trim indicator moves... but I am still climbing. Airspeed is looking good. I push the stick forward it doesn't move! It's stuck in climb. Shoot my elevators are iced up! All that moisture from melted snow! I should have known... The two brain cells I have bombarded the scull. Sure the pitot is frozen. But very little ice on the wings nearly clear windshield I had more. I won't reduce the power for now I need enough heat to keep my carburetor happy. Spin ready, a good shake is applied to the stick, then another more violent one and it's loose... Pitot is inop it's not the heated kind (future builders please note). My heartbeat was at the rate I experienced some 30 years ago. A close call? Yes it was, but you would be surprised how fast we forget things. :)

Last edited:
Vlad I'm pretty new to this forum and I have almost instantly picked up the fact that you are one ballsy dude! lol

Polar Bears of Barter Island

The cloud layer thinned by the time I approached the Arctic Ocean.

Ceilings were in 1,200 feet range. Cloud layer is only 300 - 500 feet but to slice through it with ability to see you need a windshield defrost. I don't have one so I descended a little more and warmer ambient air took care of hard water.

I was rewarded with fantastic view of Arctic shoreline.

There was a scheduled flight out of Barter Island airport PABA and it took a while for him to taxi and take off. I didn't complain I was very glad I can tour famous Kaktovik.

How many polar bears you see on this packed ice? I counted at least 4.

Three more were feeding on whale bone pile.

Another one was wondering around along a beach behind the big hangar. I land long and taxi to the end of the rocky runway. It's kind of symbolic for me to land on a beach of Arctic Ocean, the wheels of my aircraft already touched Atlantic and Pacific coasts. By the time I taxi back to the ramp two vehicles arrived. A local cop who is also a teacher and an older Inupiat gentleman which appeared to be the famous polar bear guide Robert Thompson. Robert is also a bush pilot and he quickly recognized Vans aircraft.

We talked local subjects for a while then Robert said let's go see my bears. We drove closer to the bone pile and I took couple pictures. Splay-footed beasts didn't care they were peacefully chewing whale jerky and swimming.

On my way out I met another in-toed who absolutely didn't like me flying over. How do I know? The way he stands. As Mark Bishop would say it's not the right beach to land on.

Last edited:
End of Polar Day 6.

I spend a good hour in Kaktovik said goodbye to my wonderful guide Robert Thompson and departed westbound toward Prudhoe Bay Deadhorse airport. Winds were calm and I decided to track Beaufort Sea shoreline just below the cloud deck.

It was a very nice sightseeing run. I saw a polar bear and some seal like creatures but I wasn't able to catch them on camera. Passed Brownlow Point there was the end of Arctic National Refuge and I didn't spot any wildlife. But the scale and amount of oil infrastructure stunned me. The rigs and associated pipelines, the monstrous private paved airstrips with all the required illumination, the uncharted paved roads it was very surprising to see.

I arrived at Deadhorse airport PASC around 10 pm. Very happy and a little tired. Around the clock polar day makes strange feelings.

There is a new FBO on the field and it's a top notch one. Collville Inc. has avgas for $7.69 and an excellent little terminal. Stocked with free snacks plus a room with a full size bed. Not a soul around.

I called the best hotel in town and was lucky to book a room. The Aurora sent a shuttle to pick me up. A pretty young lady originally from Anchorage gave a little tour of the working town. She works hotel front desk on a two weeks rotation basis. Every passenger she transports to/from the hotel is obligated to wear safety glasses while riding the shuttle. That's the law.

For only $150 a night I had a 100+ sq feet cubicle with shared bath high speed internet and all meals included. They do cook a good steak there.

Every visitor to the hotel is required to wear the booties.

Nobody lives permanently in Prudhoe Bay and there are no shops. It's also a dry town I was told if I bootleg something I better keep it quiet. Amazing place full of amazing people. Go visit. From New York City you can get there in six days.

Last edited:
Day 7. The Top of The World

I checked out of Deadhorse late. The front desk asked if I had a breakfast. Sure thanks. Go and pack your lunch you already paid for it. Let me tell you the Aurora hotel has a really good buffet I packed a ton of meat in that little container. Weather looked good as it usually is this time of the year. My next destination was Barrow PABR the place a lot of pilots are trying to reach including myself.

I flew along countless oil rigs for a while then intercepted Beufort Sea shoreline and followed it. My trusty old Lycoming was happily singing its song digesting thick and tasty arctic air.

Barrow was reporting low visibility and freezing fog but it's not that bad as it sounds. A layer of broken clouds with tops at 1,000 feet was sitting above 70th parallel for days. No precip no ice light winds nothing to worry about. When I get closer I ask Barrow Radio for an SVFR clearance they were happy to issue.

Hey Triple Six how you making out? I have Alaska Airline coming in 10 minutes. Yessir already on short final zero seven.

Clear the active. Baby it's cold outside. High twenties. Airport firefighters let me use their restroom, I hung Van's hat for a "been here" shot and got out of that frozen place.

Now I can brag I've been above 71st parallel can I get a free beer? :D

Back