What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Condition Inspection Time

f1rocket

Well Known Member
I am wondering what other owners have done. This may be a stupid question but what the heck. I am getting ready to perform my condition inspection. However, I just did a 100 hr inspection of the Rotax a couple of months ago. Do I need to complete another 100 hr inspection on the engine, or can I do something more superficial in the engine compartment that complies with the requirements of the condition inspection? I put more than 100 hrs on the airplane in a year so this is going to be a continuing challenge. Just wondering how others have handled the two differing cycles.

I'd just do the complete airframe and engine annual and not overthink the legalities. In the end it's all about preventing bad things from happening over what loopholes we can find.

I'd just do the complete airframe and engine annual and not overthink the legalities. In the end it's all about preventing bad things from happening over what loopholes we can find.

Jeez, really? I never thought of that. :rolleyes:

I'm not looking for legal loopholes. I'd prefer to gather information from other owners so I can make an informed decision on how to best manage one maintenance cycle based on usage (engine) with another maintenance cycle based on calendar time (airframe). I will do another 100 hour inspection cycle if I need to but I just did one 16 hours ago so that seems unproductive. I am doing the condition inspection a little early to fit it in with the worst flying weather but since I fly over 150 hours a year, this is going to be an issue every condition inspection time.

The condition inspection checklist from Van's says something to the effect of 'do the appropriate engine service that Rotax calls for". So if I no service is required right now, can I just make an entry and move on? It seems so but thought I'd ask first before starting.

Thanks for responding Rich. I'm just poking you a little bit.

I'm not sure on LSA aircraft, but on all of the other RVs the inspection must be done in the scope and detail of 14 CFR 43 appendix D and unless you are set up to do a progressive style inspection you should accomplish all of appendix D, that is applicable to your aircraft. Once again I'm not familiar with the LSA requirements.

Last edited:
Assuming you have done the 100 hour rotax inspection, the next required engine inspection is the 25-hour inspection.

200h carb inspection

Given how much time you are putting on your Rotax, there is a Rotax inspection item at 200h that describes removal, inspection and reassembly of the carbs. Its a heavy maintenance item and the only one you'll face in the near term.

Not complicated for guys who are familiar with carbs I'm told, but from what I've seen, there are a lot of small parts and places that need to be checked for wear inside the carb. I'm planning on removing both carbs and sending them to Lockwood for a proper inspection when I get there. You will be dealing with this in 2015 it appears.

I'm not sure on LSA aircraft, but on all of the other RVs the inspection must be done in the scope and detail of 14 CFR 43 appendix D and unless you are set up to do a progressive style inspection you should accomplish all of appendix D, that is applicable to your aircraft. Once again I'm not familiar with the LSA requirements.

Same thing here not sure about LSA but when I looked at 14 CFR 43 appendix D to see what I have to do for my RV I noticed that it's so vague that it really leaves all important decisions to you.

Now if I had to do an 100h inspection (which I don't) I would just do all of 14 CFR appendix D and sign of on my conditional inspection every 100 hours. There is nothing preventing you of doing your conditional inspection more often then every 12 months and how much longer does it really take to finish a full inspection if you are going through the engine anyway... .

Assuming you have done the 100 hour rotax inspection, the next required engine inspection is the 25-hour inspection.

I don't think so. There is an initial 25 hour inspection (which is really a 100 hr one done at 25) but I think they are all 100 hour inspections from this point out. Now there is a requirement to do a 25 hour float bowl inspection, but that's all I am aware of. Am I missing something important?

I wondered too!

Thanks for clarifying Randy. I too was wondering about the 100 and 25 hr reference and my reading of the Rotax schedule is what you describe for intervals of inspections.

On your inspection practices I do something very similar. I take advantage of the weather and work on inspecting. If I had "recently" completed a repair, modification, or scheduled maintain this part of my annual would get the attention due. If I had just done a 100 hr 12 hours ago my engine inspection for annual would be "look over" reviewing any normal special attention locations. Similar to what I always do any time I have the opportunity because the cowl is off to inspect, look, wiggle, touch connections.

Poking the Bear with a Stick!

The condition inspection checklist from Van's says something to the effect of 'do the appropriate engine service that Rotax calls for". So if I no service is required right now, can I just make an entry and move on? It seems so but thought I'd ask first before starting.

Thanks for responding Rich. I'm just poking you a little bit.

Because of the legal Eagles and the nature of the form nobody will admit to bending the rules now and then.;) But common sense probably prevails in most cases. It would seem that if you feel comfortable with your inspection a few hours ago and safe flight is not compromised then do what you think is best for you.;) Having the experience that you have building planes then your personal judgement is probably better than most. Move forward with the common sense approach.;)

Always do the 100 hr. And annual condition inspection together. List it in the logbook as such and use the Rotax Engine check list and our RV12 check list. This way you always comply with the FAA, Rotax and Vans as far as inspections and you won't have to do separate inspections for a 100 hr. and annual. Neither Rotax or the FAA care how often you do those inspections.

So if you fly less than 100 hrs. a year you will get to the annual first and if you fly more than 100 hrs a year you will get to that one first. When one is due do them both and log both. Keep the signed off check list and do a good detailed logbook entry.

It will keep the aircraft re-sale value up by as much as $5K to $10K over sloppy non descript books.

I don't want to poke a hornets nest, but let me ask what folks think about the frequency and intrusiveness of some of the recommended ROTAX inspections. For example, popping the bowls off carburetors every annual seems excessive if you are using high quality fuel and a gascolator. Are folks finding that the frequency of recommended inspections is justified by the results?

I don't want to poke a hornets nest, but let me ask what folks think about the frequency and intrusiveness of some of the recommended ROTAX inspections. For example, popping the bowls off carburetors every annual seems excessive if you are using high quality fuel and a gascolator. Are folks finding that the frequency of recommended inspections is justified by the results?

AC43 appendix D specifies (the standard that annual and condition inspections are done against) that the gascolator screen, and inlet screen of a carb or fuel servo be inspected on a traditional aircraft engine, so I don't see how the recommended procedures for a Rotax are any different than what is already an industry standard (even for a cessna, piper, etc.).

A gascolator catches any contaminants up stream of the gascolator.
There is still a lot of hose down stream of the gascolator.
It is not uncommon for hose to release particles into the fuel system.

Scott,

That makes sense. I was just wondering if the field experience validates the frequency and scope.

Rich

I've nearly completed my first condition inspection and I thought I'd post what I found. I only found three things that required any attention at all, and all were fairly minor.

I added the fuel vent kit to my tank as part of the inspection, and I did find a little residue in the bottom of the tank. Nothing significant, just a little dusty golden-colored residue on the bottom. The gascolator and tank screens were all clear. There's another thread about this. My finding are consistent with what others have found. I have used a combination of 100 LL, ethanol-free 90 octane, and 93 octane Shell with 10% ethanol.

I found a minor fuel leak in the center tunnel where the fuel line goes into the back of the gascolator. I had replaced the red cube earlier and I didn't get that fitting very tight because of the close quarters. I asked my son to climb in there and tighten it up this time. He bends better than I do.

I did the first float check in the carburetors and one of my floats failed. Simple to check and simple to replace. I already had the floats and the gaskets on hand so no biggie.

To close the loop on my original post in this thread, I read the inspection list very carefully. Since the engine just had a 100 hr check completed, I did a 25 hour check. Filled out all the paperwork and filed it in the log book. According to my read, this was the appropriate and legal approach to take.

I'm now ready for another flying season.

Last edited:
Back