What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

First Titan Going To Hong Kong for RV-8

Relentless

Well Known Member
Last week we built a sweet XIO-360, Lightspeed/Fuel Injected 8.5:1 for customer who is ready to install and make first flight out of Hong Kong. Not entirely sure but this seems to be a first? We invited Mike, one of the teams builders to join us in San Antonio for our "free" customer build with Dusty.

The engine looks great and ran really well. Since the plane might not get much time in the air for the first flight we the customer requested we run the engine until we were sure it was totally broke in. Surprisingly we saw about a 15 degree CHT drop at about 4.5 hours running in the test cell at about 75% power. Then we ran sweeps to check hp and the engine made 193hp @2750, very nice!!!

Dusty and Mike after one day
2a9b2w4.jpg

Mike Manning the dyno
14cgpib.jpg

This is, presumably, for Hank Cheng's aeroplane.

He is a B777 Captain with Cathay Pacific, as am I - albeit a (few!) years older. His RV-8 is the first to be built as an experimental under Hong Kong regs - a real achievement :D Can you imagine the bureaucracy one has to get through.......

The aircraft is currently at HKIA undergoing final construction. As I understand it, he has permission to do the first flight out of Hong Kong's International Airport - way to go, Hank!

A couple of years ago, I helped Hank with a minor issue he was having and lent him my tank dies so I also have a small hand in this..........

Paul!

Hey Paul!

Completely missed this post until now! Good to hear from you and thanks for the update for VAF. The engine is on! Few more little bits and pieces, then we will mount the wing and tail, expect that to happen around April/May.

Text me if you are around! How's your plane doing?
Hank

Back