What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV Camping ... Things you wish you brought but didn't

bkervaski

Hellloooooooo!
Testing
Just got our tickets to Airventure .. this will be our first time!

We're camping .. Looking for advice on what things to bring that aren't obvious and you wish you brought but didn't.

Thanks in advance!

Ear plugs.

Yes, if staying in HBC you'll hear the live music at the beer tent until Midnight and EAA blasts yodeling over the loudspeaker at 7:00 AM every morning. Depending on your sleep schedule one of those is likely annoying.

Either extra time waterproofing your tent or a waterproof bag for clothing, or both. At least one Midwest thunderstorm is likely during the week.

2nd pair of shoes in case first gets wet. see above.

Bring a warm windbreaker...yes, it's July but it was very cool last year on Saturday evening after the rain. Bring your own insulated coffee cup for coffee at HBC first thing in the morning, if you're a coffee drinker.

Things I brought that I wish I HADN'T:

Propane-powered coffee maker. The pavillion has an endless coffee supply!

I'm going to pack a lot lighter this year.

A taller tent. Seriously, trying to get dressed in a 4' tent is a PITA.

More stakes to pin down the edges of the tarp I had down under the tent. A couple of places started collecting water during the heavy rain a couple years ago. Not a huge deal, but next time I'll toss in a few more hold-downs.

Really, that's about all I can think of. Maybe a little nicer LED lantern, but honestly I only used it for a few minutes each night so it wasn't a big deal.

Camping list

After years of back country camping in motorcycles, cars, 4x4s, etc., I developed a list. I got tired of forgetting things or bringing unecessary things. The list is all inclusive. The event determines what is included.
If you would like it, send me a PM. I'll text it.

A taller tent. Seriously, trying to get dressed in a 4' tent is a PITA.

I bought a new tent this year just for this reason .. the REI Grand Hut 4 with a 75" height. Here's hoping wind is not a problem :D

Last edited:
Nothing to add list wise but don?t forget Target is just a short shuttle bus ride away if you do forget something.

Maybe a bib. For drooling at all the airplanes and catching the Spotted Cow.

Good bug spray!

Last edited:
Target across the street and a credit card cover almost everything.

I've been meaning to work on a tiny LED to mark the tent stakes for years, for the 3am stumble... Still haven't worked on that.

Us southerners are shocked when it starts to get light out at 4am! Eye covers of some sort for that last hour of sleep!

Some sort of solar charger for your phone/tablet. There are outlets at the HBC pavilion, but it looks like Clark Griswald?s Christmas light wiring there with at least 1000 devices already plugged in.

Flip flops, or water shoes to wear to/from and IN the shower. You won?t want your bare feet touching whatever is lurking on that floor.

Small plastic bottles with caps to hold your shampoo and liquid soap that will need to last the length of your stay.

If you have a shaving kit/toiletries bag that has a hook so you can hang it while at the shower facility, brushing teeth, shaving, etc, you won?t have to set it on the limited shelving that may not be available - and is usually wet and slimy.

Dry roasted peanuts and other snacks that are in a jar you can seal so they don?t get wet. Apples are a good choice too because they usually keep for several days.

When you pack up to leave, everything will be wet - I don?t care if it hasn?t rained for 3 days. Don?t worry about it. Throw it in the plane and dry it out when you get home.

Have Fun!!

My problem is that I don't have enough capacity in the 7 to bring everything I would like! You need gear for cold damp nights if you're tenting it, and for hot sunny days! I being a life long backpacker have developed a list that is light and compact yet enough to be somewhat comfortable as well. As an example, super light and small folding backpacking camp chair. Hate sitting on the ground without back support! A super light weight but high quality tent, large enough to stand up in that you can also place your camp chair in.

I also take small compact snap together sleeping cot and a self inflating mattress at least an inch thick, 2 inches are better but is also heavier and larger. Don't forget the battery powered fan to hang from the top of the tent! I like a little air movement and the "white noise" it creates helps mask the outside noise. Did I say sleeping is very important part of my planning?

This doesn't even scratch the list so if you would like, I'll post it in a few days when I get more time.

Finally, just bring everything you can think of and have a friend who is driving in to bring your piles of stuff with them!

Last edited:
One thing I tuck in my gear is a lightweight set of thermal underwear. They offer the same comfort as a sweatshirt or a heavy jacket and have a wider variety of uses too.

In the summer in Georgia, I'm used to highs in the 90's and lows in the 70's. Those cooler Wisconsin evenings can be a bit uncomfortable, while I'm sitting outdoors and chatting. Also, if there is a real cold snap, I can wear the thermals as PJ's and greatly extend the comfort range of my sleeping bag.

Lithium battery pack so you can change in the tent.

A good tent that can deal with downpours, the only thing that kept me dry last year was the air mattress. I have upgraded tents since then.

A good bottle of whiskey/scotch. Beer takes up too much space and there is plenty of that to buy in WI.

Some clamps/clothes pins to hang the towel on the prop to dry out.

Fedex

Don?t forget about the shipping services that are offered. We sent up two Home Depot plastic totes with a good size tent, nice air mattresses, and all the ancillary gear. We still brought very minimal camping stuff in the plane in case of an overnighter someplace else. Well worth it and not that expensive. Ship all the wet **** home when your leaving. FedEx is on site.

Don't forget a pillow.
Some folk wear old t-shirts then toss them to make room for the new ones.
Bring some cash to buy the small things like a brat or an ice cream cone. You'll also need $3 cash to ride the school bus back to the field from the seaplane base. The outgoing ride is free.
Bring a lawn chair and blanket if you attend an evening movie.
Bring a water bottle to use all week. There are plenty of filling stations.
A second credit card. Don't forget that travel notice to the card company.
2 well broke-in pair of shoes.
Check the weather. Some years you wear jeans. Some years it's shorts.
Some folk use a back pack. Some use their wife's purse. Others use the plastic yellow Trade-A-Plane sacks to carry all the crapola they acquire from the vendors. Plan ahead.

I?ll add Sunscreen, chap stick, ibuprofen and deordorant. Sunscreen and chapstick for the sun, ibuprofen for the VAF Social and sleeping on the ground and deodorant for leg chafing. I can run 10 miles in running shorts no problem but 7-8 miles around OSH in cargo shorts is so much more pleaseant if I use a bit of deodorant as a ?lubricant? on my inner thighs.
Yeah, I said it. Chances are you?ll be making fun of me or trying it.....

Shoes

I?ll add Sunscreen, chap stick, ibuprofen and deordorant. Sunscreen and chapstick for the sun, ibuprofen for the VAF Social and sleeping on the ground and deodorant for leg chafing. I can run 10 miles in running shorts no problem but 7-8 miles around OSH in cargo shorts is so much more pleaseant if I use a bit of deodorant as a ?lubricant? on my inner thighs.
Yeah, I said it. Chances are you?ll be making fun of me or trying it.....

I will add a really good pair of walking shoes. I prefer Sketchers. Feather light and soft.
If you can't walk 10 miles in your shoes, find a better pair.
Buy Kuhl shirt and pants. They are awesome. They keep you cool and if you get wet, they dry quickly.
Buy a good vented hat like a Tilley. Protect the noggin. Baseball caps are neat but you'll be far more comfortable in a good hat after 12 hours in the sun.

Add these.
Mesh back pack. I get thanks every pass through the gate because they can see right through. It great for the swag and stuff you buy. Put these inside every morning.

Yeti water bottle full of ice. Cold water fountains are in the main hangar.
Fruit and snacks. I usually bring in healthy food to cut down on buying meals and to eat at least some healthy food.
Large trash bag. Makes a good rain coat. Or go to Jeppeson before 9AM and get freebies including rain panchos.
Small bottles of necessary personal items like 100% Deet, Sunscreen, Pain relief, etc.
Cell charger. You can plug in at the Honda stations.
Change of socks. Nothing worse than wet feet for blisters.

100% Deet is available from several manufacturers. Bottles are tiny because it takes practically nothing to keep bugs away. Just a couple drops sprayed will chase the mosquitos to someone using cheapo bug spray.
Go to Lycoming when you get tired and eat a few ice cream bars for free. Say hello to Sean Tucker.

Here's the stuff I bought, with weight in mind, for last OSH but didn't make it.

• CORE 6 Person Dome Tent 11' x9'
  • Ultra-Lightweight Sleeping Bag, Terra Hiker Campact Sleeping Bag
  • Moon Lence Sleeping Pad for Camping Backpacking Ultralight Compact Air Pad
  • Moon Lence Inflatable Pillow Ultralight Camping/Travel Pillow
  • Portable Charger RAVPower 26800 Battery Packs 26800mAh
  • Trekology Portable Folding Camping Stool
  • Image Portable LED Camping Lantern with Ceiling Fan
  • AmazonBasics D Cell Everyday Alkaline Batteries (for light/fan)
  • Coleman Seam Sealer

Last edited:
Clothesline and clothespins. To dry the stuff that gets wet.

Figure out a way to run the line between two points (wingtip and HS) at home, and bring/make a way to attach the line. (remove a wingtip screw and attach a small hook or loop)

Painters Masking Tape. To cover gas cap/canopy seams that might leak if you aren't used to parking your plane outside in the rain. Bring/use a canopy cover if you have one.

Lots of earplugs.

Pack light. You will go home heavier. When registration hands you that heavy glass mug for flying in, you will go over gross!...or, more over....

I tent camp, so:
  • Ear plugs
  • Air mattress
  • Small pillow
  • Hanging fan/light, battery powered
  • The evenings are chilly for a FL boy, so hiking pants (windbreakers for your legs). Super light and dry fast.
  • Small flashlight
  • Headlamp if you are using the portapotties at night
  • Hanging roll-up toiletries organizer for the showers and sink areas. There is a lack of places to set things down, or dry places to set things down.
  • Flip flops or similar for shower time.
  • A few hand towels. Seem easier to manage than bigger ones.
  • Some kitchen size garbage bags for wet clothes, etc.

Oh, and practice flying (and landing) your plane heavy, slow, and aft CG. Don't be "that guy".

Two 6" x 6" squares of 1/2" plywood or 0.125" aluminum sheet. They go under your main tires, so if things get wet, they don't sink down to the wheelpants.

+1 on the eyeshade and earplugs for sleeping. Best Oshkosh advice I ever got.

Summer in Wisconsin is weird. I've seen 40F nights and I've seen 90F. Best bet is sweatpants and a sweatshirt. If it's cold you can sleep in them.

I’ll add Sunscreen, chap stick, ibuprofen and deordorant. Sunscreen and chapstick for the sun, ibuprofen for the VAF Social and sleeping on the ground and deodorant for leg chafing. I can run 10 miles in running shorts no problem but 7-8 miles around OSH in cargo shorts is so much more pleaseant if I use a bit of deodorant as a “lubricant” on my inner thighs.
Yeah, I said it. Chances are you’ll be making fun of me or trying it.....

OK, regarding chafing, let's get real. If you're going to tackle it, go full force:https://freshballs.com/fresh-balls/

Along with ALL the great advice posted in this thread, I simply NEVER leave home without 2 or 3 tubes of Fresh Balls (seriously). It works great for the aforementioned leg chafing...and all other chafing as well.

I NEVER leave home without it.

And for the ladies...: https://freshballs.com/fresh-breasts/

No joke, this stuff rocks! Don't pass Fiske without it.

PS: You're welcome.

Whatever works

Bottom line (no pun intended): Oshkosh HBC campers walk a lot. Stay dry, stay comfortable, stay fresh.

On a different note, remember that you don?t have to pack everything in and out. There?s a common shipping pickup/drop off point for UPS and FedEx deliveries. A well-sealed tote loaded with essential gear will make your camping even more pleasant.

Camping list

I've had a few requests for my list so why not post it.
Remember, it's a check list. Take what you need for the destination, vehicle or personal choice. I've camped for 40 years from fancy race tracks to primimative back country (personal preference) in all sorts of vehicles from two wheels, 4x4s, trucks, trailers, airplane, etc. If you don't see your item, edit and make your own list. The idea is it's a checklist. I don't haul every item but have been back country for a long trip, hailed and used most of it. We all love our checklists. It has served me well and continues to evolve.

Clarifications...
My tarp is a canvas treated tarp but it's heavy. I spray it every use with bug spray. It goes under the tent with a section in front of the door. Makes an excellent place to put shoes on and off plus after 40 years, no bug dares cross the line.
Roll of quarters can save you. Sounds silly, but I've been in situations with no cash and the vendor wouldn't take credit.
Thermarest mattresses rock. Self inflating and no flat mattress in the middle of the night. Even if they get a hole, the foam still provides comfort. Plus they insulate from the cold below. I have two over 30 years old. One has a proseal patch! They also make a pillow.
Take the sleeping bag for the temp. I have six from sub zero to summer. If you get cold, use an emergency blanket or solar bivy to reflect heat. They work.
Rain flys only work if installed correctly. You need enough stakes to teather the fly as well. Practice at home. Nothing worse than sleeping in a pool of water. Set it up right and it will withstand quite a storm. I've been through some gully washers and slept like a baby.

Camping List
Mesh backpack
Roll of quarters
Yeti water bottle
Folding stool
Gas grill
Gas can
High lift jack
Lug wrench
Tow kit
Tools
Air compressor
Generator
Emergency tire repair kit
Thermarest matresses
Sleeping bags
Sheets
Blankets
Pillows
Towels
Tents
Tarps
Tent stakes
Chairs
Water socks
Flip flops
Binoculars
Sunglasses
Watch or clock
Ear plugs
Baseball cap or Tilley hat
Life preservers
Swimming goggles
First aid kit
Cigars
Lighter
Matches
Flashlights
Camera equip
AA, AAA, D batteries
Ice chests
Coffee percolator
Instant coffee
Electric or battery fan & batteries
Electric or battery lights
Extension cord
Fire wood
Knife
Pistol
Ammunition
Bug spray (100% Deet)
Sun screen
Camp Shovel
Camp toilet ring
Axe
Hammer
Wood saw
Swiss Army knife
Jumper cables
CB radio and magnetic antenna
Cell phone & chargers
Music player & chargers
Speakers & batteries
Baby wipes
Koozies
Emergency blankets or bivy
Hand warmers
Energy bars
Maps
Trash bags
Toilet paper
Paper towels
Cups

CLOTHES-Summer: jeans, swimsuit, shorts, shirts, socks, underwear, shoes, hat

CLOTHES-Winter: thermal underwear, ski pants, jacket, tuk, muffs, gloves, wind breaker, jeans, t-shirts, underwear, winter socks, hot packs

Personal- Medications, vitamins, soap, shampoo, toothbrush, floss, toothpaste, mouthwash, antiperspirant, cologne, foot powder, etc.

FOOD-meat, potato, sour cream, cheeze, butter, bacon, eggs, salt, pepper, spices, bread, dessert, peanuts, beer, water, sodas, tea, juice, milk, cereal, instant coffee, limes, snacks, propane, aluminum foil, plastic forks, knife, paper towels, plates, bowls, cups, 1gal zip bags

Wow that is a complete list. Just missing the 43' Diesel pusher RV :) -
Seriously though one item that I would have never thought about is what Dan H added, cut some plywood to put under your tires and just keep them in your plane. They will come in handy not only during OSH but many of the fly-ins that you'll visit that require you to park on the grass. After a few hours its very difficult to push your plane out.

I spent some time at the Petit Jean fly in one year wrestling with ants! Not fun. Had to end up moving my tent and shanking everything down to get them out. From that time on, I've packed a quart size ziplock back with the granule type ant poison. I select my spot and spread it around before pitching the tent. No ants since. I know I was just unlucky that one year and had probably pitched right on top of them. I still like the ant poison though.

If you are worried about your tent stakes, try these Orange Screws.

I use the large ones to hold the plane and the small ones will definitely hold your tent.

For tiedowns I use ratchet straps where I replaced the hooks with carabineers. That way, if the winds bounce the plane, they won't come off.

One piece of gear that is very helpful is an LED head lamp, especially when using a port-a-potty in the middle of the night.

Last edited:
49clipper

Yes, better ground anchors for you tent. I have had my tent blown away three out of the last four years. absolute nessecaty, and earplugs are also a good idea.

Do you think the large Orange Screw would be comparable performance to The Claw as a reliable tie down?

They would save me 8 pounds ... yes, down to counting oz ... lol ... Phoenix has to have 30 changes of clothes for a 5 day'ish trip. Working on that ...

Do you think the large Orange Screw would be comparable performance to The Claw as a reliable tie down?

They would save me 8 pounds ... yes, down to counting oz ... lol ... Phoenix has to have 30 changes of clothes for a 5 day'ish trip. Working on that ...

After watching this video, I think bubblegum might be better that The Claw.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UIuYK_eEQ9c&app=desktop

I use Orange Screws and as long as they are turned in all the way, they will probably give you good service.

Note, I have not tried a pull test, so I can't say with certainty that they are better.

Roughing it

Reading over the list, it?s amazing how we have taken the camping experience from ?naked and afraid? to a/c plywood miniature houses with pesticides. If I was reading this list from a third world country, I?d think those folks are spoiled rotten. 😄Nevertheless, I?m a guilty party too.

After my kids were born, I discovered how important things such as baby wipes were even for us grow up in the wild. At my age, if I could stuff my king size memory foam size mattress in my RV-9, I?d do it in a heartbeat..... right beside my tent A/C, espresso machine, and of course the kitchen sink that she packed. Seriously, thanks to all that are posting some good stuff to remember. Helps me not to reinvent the wheel every year.

Phone charge

How do you charge your phone when camping at Osh or where ever? During the day I am walking around. Dont plan to spend much time babysitting phone during the day.

How do you charge your phone when camping at Osh or where ever? During the day I am walking around. Dont plan to spend much time babysitting phone during the day.

One option is to get a battery pack that you leave on the chargers at the HBC pavilion while you're out walking around. Then, you use the battery pack to charge your phone overnight.

Hey John,

Just go over to the HBC Pavillion at night, bring some snacks, plug in, jawbone with other pilots and your phone will be recharged before you know it.

I also took enough supplemental battery packs to recharge my phone about four times in the (relative) comfort of my tent.

My airplane is ready to go, so I've started packing. One thing I do is put my clothing and linens in a plastic trash bag and use a vacuum cleaner to evacuate the bag. That cuts the volume for those items by half or better. They are easier to get into the baggage area that way. Also, if there is weather along the way or when you get to Oshkosh, your clothes and linens won't get wet.

Pillows are nice. I bought a couple of WalMart specials for $2.50 apiece. Bulky, but fairly light.

Going shopping tonight for in-flight snacks. Looks like four varieties of beef jerky and cheese Pringles will be the staples. :D

Small generator was my best add. Powers Kureg (coffee and hot water), box fan in tent at night and keeps all electronics charged.

I just bought a Rockpals 300W power station to run my CPAP and charge our phones and tablets. https://www.rockpals.com/products/r...v1y41U9h_3tDiyyHA-SlIDi5C_YzZdxQaAnykEALw_wcB

I just ran a test using it to power my CPAP and by using a DC adapter cord I was able to get four 7-hour nights out of it. I’m guessing it would have been 2-3 nights had I used the AC plug and the CPAP’s normal power supply. But in any event I estimate that I’ll only have to recharge it at OSH once based upon my test.

Last edited:
Back