What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Van speaks out about RV aerobatics.

ronschreck

Well Known Member
Spend a few minutes talking with Van and you come away with an appreciation for how much knowledge can be communicated using very few words! I approached Van several months ago and asked if he would write an article for publication in the EAA Sport Aviation magazine about RV aerobatics. It has been my mission to promote competitive aerobatics among the RV community and I realized that my efforts may be futile unless I had the support of Richard VanGrunsven himself. It was my impression that Van has always taken a conservative approach to aerobatics and I understand why. After all, he has a lifetime of his own effort and resources tied up in the world's most successful line of experimental amateur built aircraft. He didn't get this far by being reckless! We discussed the article over the course of several months and about five drafts and the result is published in the August issue of Sport Aviation. For anyone contemplating RV aerobatics this is a must-read. Van's conservative and measured approach to RV aerobatics puts safety right where it belongs: first. He is adamant about respecting the limitations of the aircraft and the pilot and provides a bit of incentive by describing the challenges and successes of his own aerobatic endeavors.

In case you somehow missed the article, click HERE. Even if you are not interested in aerobatics, it's a great story.

(Here's Van almost 44 years ago!)

If this does peak your interest I invite you to take the next step. The International Aerobatic Club (IAC) is offering a free six-month membership to EAA members. (IAC is a division of EAA) To take advantage of this offer call the EAA membership department toll free: 800-564-6322 and ask for the FREE 6-month IAC membership. Tell the customer representative to use Campaign Code: 2163. That's it! No credit card information is required. You will soon be receiving the monthly IAC magazine, Sport Aerobatics. At the end of the 6-month free trial you will be asked if you want to continue with a paid membership. No pressure; you can opt out or continue your membership. I'm betting a large number of you will want to continue.

Bill "WillyEyeBall" McLean and I will be competing at the U.S. National Aerobatic Championships at North Texas Regional Airport (KGYI), Sherman/Denison, Texas from 23-30 September. If you are in the area, drop by and look us up. Look for the two oldest guys on the airfield! :cool:

Ron: thanks for that great shot of Van at Whidbey! I arrived there about 7 years later for a tour flying A-6s, and never left. I know where Van's -3 ended up, wondering where the other a/c are today. I believe that was a locally based Monocoupe in the background, named Firecracker Special, if my memory is correct.
Signed up for the 6 month membership, got my first magazine in the mail recently and spent some time in the IAC booth at OSH.

Doug
Seattle (NAS Whidbey) area
-4, wings

RV advantage

One big advantage the RVs have over the single seat Pitts and the like at an extended contest like this is baggage space (several changes of shirts and underwear). In addition to flying when our category (Sportsman) is up, Ron will be busy as a judge, and I may be a boundry judge, so there will be times during the day when we're not available to meet and greet. However, you'll find that the IAC participants of competitors and volunteers to be friendly and eager to discuss their favorite sport and passion. Plus it's the greatest free airshow in the US with some of the best pilots in the World in the advanced categories. Thanks again Ron for the effort you've made to encourage Rvers to come join the fun.
Today's choice, work or acro practice? :confused: Too pretty to be inside,:D
Bill McLean
RV-4 slider
lower AL

I joined an IAC chapter (78 - www.iac78.org) last year and a constant message I hear is contests, contests, contests. While there's nothing wrong with contests, that's about the last thing that is fun about IAC for me.

Chapters have get-togethers and practice days ("play dates" is what we call them). It's really nothing more than a day set aside to get together, talk about airplanes, fly some routines and get critiques from others on the ground, and just generally have fun. If contests aren't your thing, don't let that get in the way of checking out a local IAC chapter - there's still a lot it has to offer.

I joined an IAC chapter (78 - www.iac78.org) last year and a constant message I hear is contests, contests, contests. While there's nothing wrong with contests, that's about the last thing that is fun about IAC for me.

Chapters have get-togethers and practice days ("play dates" is what we call them). It's really nothing more than a day set aside to get together, talk about airplanes, fly some routines and get critiques from others on the ground, and just generally have fun. If contests aren't your thing, don't let that get in the way of checking out a local IAC chapter - there's still a lot it has to offer.

I gather you have attended, but not flown a contest. For most of us who enjoy contests, everything you state above applies - except "a day" becomes 2 1/2 days or so. Everyone takes different things from the sport and I understand if not everyone wants to compete. It doesn't have to be all about that. I've always told interested folks to come hang out and practice with us, contests or no contests. Not necessarily speaking to you, but I make the suggestion for folks to actually try one before making the decision that contests aren't for them. In my experience, nearly everyone who tries their first one has a good experience and comes back. But to me, the essence of IAC is the camaraderie, mentorship and promotion of precision aerobatic skills in a safety-oriented culture. Contests are just one way to apply all that. Anyone can of course apply all that outside the contest environment too.

I gather you have attended, but not flown a contest. For most of us who enjoy contests, everything you state above applies - except "a day" becomes 2 1/2 days or so. Everyone takes different things from the sport and I understand if not everyone wants to compete. It doesn't have to be all about that. I've always told interested folks to come hang out and practice with us, contests or no contests. Not necessarily speaking to you, but I make the suggestion for folks to actually try one before making the decision that contests aren't for them. In my experience, nearly everyone who tries their first one has a good experience and comes back. But to me, the essence of IAC is the camaraderie, mentorship and promotion of precision aerobatic skills in a safety-oriented culture. Contests are just one way to apply all that. Anyone can of course apply all that outside the contest environment too.

The contests are ok, but they are expensive with hotels, travel, and of course the time commitment. My point is that IAC has more to offer than contests, and there is a lot of enjoyment to be had outside of that venue.

And yes, I've been to several both as a spectator and a volunteer and am planning on flying in Newton KS next month.

Our IAC chapter practice days are full of fun and a lot more than just practicing goes on. IAC is not all about Contest. we also have clinics, Schools etc.....I dont know about IAC#78 but IAC #19 and a lot many others are a lot more fun than many other EAA gatherings other than Contest that I have attended..

Last edited:
Our IAC chapter practice days are full of fun and a lot more than just practicing goes on. IAC is not all about Contest. we also have clinics, Schools etc.....I dont know about IAC#78 but IAC #19 and a lot many others are a lot more fun than many other EAA gatherings other than Contest that I have attended..

I'd agree - they are a lot of fun. I wrote a short article on chapter 78's site about them (link) to help others understand what goes on.

They're also a reasonable community outreach kind of thing. People from the nearby town often show up to watch and ask questions. It's a totally low-key affair.

Play day

I agree the play "practice" day is one of the best ways to get the "sport" aerobat to try a contest. That's exactly how I got started with a scheduled gathering of novice and seasoned pilots on several Saturdays with experienced IAC judges giving us pointers and listening to them critique others too. I went to one contest and observed, and then competed in one the next year; then it was 2 a year, and now 3 or more a year. A contest to me is now a vacation, and I assume the fun and enjoyment versus the cost is a good deal to me.
Cheers,
Bill

I love to "make and entrance" when I arrive at a contest

One big advantage the RVs have over the single seat Pitts and the like at an extended contest like this is baggage space (several changes of shirts and underwear)....
Bill McLean
RV-4 slider
lower AL

Most purpose-built aerobatic aircraft are day, VFR types with enough baggage room for a shaving kit and a change of clothes and many only have enough fuel for a two hour flight at best. You should have seen the stares when my wife and I arrived at the contest in Sebring last Fall. Most contestants arrived a day or two early because a tropical storm was threatening to engulf northern Florida and cut off Sebring to VFR traffic. I filed IFR and easily made it down on the opening day of competition in one hop from our home in North Carolina. The ramp was full of Extras, MXs and Pitts when we landed and taxied to the hot ramp and shut down. I got out first so my wife could hand me Riley, our chihuahua. Then she handed me Sophie, our other chihuahua! Kathy climbed out and we unloaded four bags plus my parachute from the aft baggage compartment. Then I unloaded one other bag and my tool kit from the front baggage compartment. The ramp was littered with baggage, and chihuahuas and the other contestants were gathered around, snapping pictures with their cell phones. To top it off, they were green with envy when we departed on Sunday. The weather had closed in so I filed IFR back to Charlotte while most of them stayed in Sebring another day waiting for the weather to clear!

Back