What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-7A jack points for small scissors jack

alcladrv

Well Known Member
I've acquired a small aluminum scissors jack, which weighs 4 lbs., that I think originally came with some kind of Porsche. I'm planning to carry it in the plane on trips and I'd welcome any thoughts on what others have used for jack points on the main landing gear legs. I'm already aware of those sold by Flyboy Accessories.

Jack point for scissor jack

I have the flyboys Jack. Point installed on my RV7a and a 9a that I’m building. I have tried other methods of lifting and I’m ver y happy this works well, when you don’t have gear to lift out on the wing spar. If concerned you can modify to make sure the plane doesn’t slip off Jack.
Jeff R Australia.

Scissor jacks are unstable

My RV moves around laterally a lot even using heavy hydraulic jacks meant for commercial twins. The scissor will be extended a lot, or you will need some kind extension tube/block to reach the wing height. This is very unstable. Approach your first trial with apprehension.

I've acquired a small aluminum scissors jack, which weighs 4 lbs., that I think originally came with some kind of Porsche. I'm planning to carry it in the plane on trips and I'd welcome any thoughts on what others have used for jack points on the main landing gear legs. I'm already aware of those sold by Flyboy Accessories.

This system does not use scissor jacks, and may be a more stable option. https://elift.cardmachineworks.com/.
If you come back to the plane after a tire has gone flat, the first task is to get the pants off, which involves reaching the bottom screws that at that point are almost flush with the ground. Not a fun exercise. Once you're able to reach the lifting point, this jackscrew system may be easier to get started than the scissor option.

Stainless Steel clamps work..

I wrapped the main gear legs with electrical tape to protect them, then put a stainless steel worm gear clamp on the main legs (due to the taper of the main gear they will not slide up) and you can carefully use a traditional car jack to lift the wheel off the ground.....seen that on a post or two in the forums.

Paul

Back