What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

EFIS Poll

What EFIS do you have/would you change (make comment why)?

• Flying Garmin G3X and Satisfied

Votes: 39 21.0%
  • Flying Dynon EFIS and Satisfied

Votes: 60 32.3%
  • Flying GRT EFIS and Satisfied

Votes: 55 29.6%
  • Flying EFIS Other than above and Satisfied

Votes: 15 8.1%
  • Flying Garmin G3X and Not Satisfied

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Flying Dynon EFIS and Not Satisfied

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • Flying GRT EFIS and Not Satisfied

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Flying EFIS Other than above and Not Satisfied

Votes: 2 1.1%
  • Steam Gauge Augmented w/ iPad (ForeFlight, Portable GPS)

Votes: 14 7.5%
  • Real Pilots Only fly Altimeter, Airspeed, Jelly Jar Compass, Pilotage

Votes: 1 0.5%

• Total voters

gmcjetpilot

Well Known Member
Please take a moment to fill out Poll on EFIS you have and if you given the choice would you stick with what you have or would you change.

Dynon FlightDEK D-180. I'm happy with it but of course would prefer a Skyview so I wouldn't need to use the iPad. In fact if anyone needs a complete panel with everything wired and working I'm considering selling the entire dash panel with everything installed then making an entirely new IFR panel.

Had dual GRT first gen in the RV 10, upgraded to dual 8.4HX. Plane sold.

New plane will have dual GRTs also-----tried for the same 8.4 HX, but could not find a pair of them, so going to the new 10.1 units.

Biggest reason-------familiarity with the units installation and operation.

Also, I really like the fact they play nicely with other brands of accessory boxes.

Last edited:
So as a caveat I vote "satisfied" but I have a legacy non-touch G3X and plan to update to the G3X Touch in the near future. Mainly I want the larger screen and bells and whistles that the newer system offers, but there's nothing actually wrong with the system I currently have so I'm in no rush to upgrade.

I do not see a selection for old fashion 6-pack upgraded with 2 Garmin G5s, magnetometer, and OAT. (or some other manufacturers electronic screen replacement for mechanical gyros)

Similar thoughts here... Flying both a GRT-equipped aircraft and a legacy Dynon-equipped aircraft. Quite satisfied with both of them. Would install either of them again but likely leaning more toward GRT as their "bang for the buck" factor and their willingness to work with other vendors pushes me more in their direction.

GRT would be my first choice when it comes to architecture, functionality, durability and openness to co-exist with other vendors. My only hesitation is if they can withstand the stiff competition posed by the players with big pocket.

8to:D
Methinks the poll questions will just result in a market share snapshot.
Bingo! So far, that’s exactly what I am seeing (based on other polls I have seen for market share.....).
So shall it be said thou inter webs poll speaketh. However comments are interesting. Me doth thinkest thou protest ye and tinkle a weevon my poll parade. Yeah verily. Anything relevent to contribute Gents? :D

Thank you for everyone's comments. They are helpful to me and I hope others.

Last edited:

Yep, six months after I gave up and bought the 10.1" setup.

If someone buys the unit linked above, and wants a second one----contact me.

A pair of the 8.4" HX units is a really nice setup. See below.

24I1OUVXEULd0yoiop5JQMV1vjJAJBhzNdzpaUB-dQz1ghabGWRTsB-nYqup2Ty3KVSJXNDtuZ6cxiq9BUxisDF_hj8tU4On27jlGnBZKo8QlijNlkld95CsXnNJDLURUvx-GGkqnutuwE_DtjyLkMk4a_tcxh1CEW8vVJJPCNy-Qh3wk4Sruk8gcim5Nf3Qj-cPzNoh_NVOc3VbWkL95pI2iAU-fupPSakiMn5NY9JLxzrkE9ReZ9-LY89TOvSY__80F-Z-7nDYCrreqs3v0zsMgIHda6ZYGPAhYxHhdq3VWgBfENwfZafYmilnAOq0tKxyNZT1xTQsVbHa81aHsvr3DMlbgl8aSsdmhflSpJNvt5qPm1Rl8OH4rjmRbamHFL5TMt5-eT1gW-IlZkm1rjfH9jzqBoOieD0V0dHDJNIRUT11sD7W5d8p1acuAZPyyYXONkkhdlBtHPJPIkYzxk2cipsOol8u9l_A_NaGw__BX0GNRwzztIVRTaeuiEzO5-9IFfk0f5x1c1JRNL1eDYF46fClOOm8X1fgRskSO0ipX2KKw6O4Z-nh2qP53F3pBdNBqQ4ufI7AiLIZZFBv9rzoEutzTpyBSTmeHDbvigZrhrMFZOKdiAF8aieInM44mFviL4yeEhJwjq6kPOXR7D2azJkZSciTafOwYJjL5Dfn_jdkWMGzVRw=w1182-h887-no

AFS panels included in Dynon number?

Are we assuming that AFS panels are included in the Dynon tally? I prefer the AFS panels and the programming.

Are we assuming that AFS panels are included in the Dynon tally? I prefer the AFS panels and the programming.

Not sure if they are included in the Dynon total.

When I redid my panel I seriously considered changing to garmin, but stuck with AFS. The AFS display is unlike any other, and I like it very much.

I thought I was going to go with AFS or Dynon. I really liked the AFS. I ended up with a new GRT Horizon 10.1. First power up soon.

I bought it for a few reasons. One of the side benefits that had nothing to do with that decision was it is a super easy install with a internal AHRS (GRT's good one, not a lower end one), and their WAAS GPS is a very small unit that bolts right to the back of the 10.1's case. Super easy, short, wiring and total install. I think it is just over 2 lbs for a 10 inch EFIS, including GPS and AHRS. I think it was also a bit cheaper for what I wanted to buy.

I really enjoyed talking with GRT's rep at SNF. The Garmin show at SNF reminded me of an Apple store, and I didn't mean that as a compliment.

I know Garmin stuff is good. I can't fault it. I am just not ready to be assimilated into the Borg.

What really sold me on GRT was their reps and the company's embrace of synthetic approaches and putting navigator functions into their EFIS.

Last edited:
I love my steam gauges with iPad. Simple, easy, reliable, inexpensive, and classic. Flame suit on.

But I am starting to plan the new glass panel that goes in shortly as my first “after retirement” project.

I like my wife.

I have tried other wives but I'm going to stick with this one. It took a lot of time and resources to end up with the best one. Regarding EFIS; I have only had a GRT so I don't have anything to compare. If I had owned the others I may be able to offer an informed comparison but I'm not willing to take the time and resources required to do that. I like my GRT. :D

Now and next month

Currently flying with steam gages augmented with GDL 39/Garmin Pilot/Android tablet since 2013. Before that, I used an Anywhere Map GPS for nav.
In the works, however, is a new vfr panel system based around a G3X with A/P and existing radio/xpndr.

Incomplete poll as it limits the Garmin brand to the 3GX type... my ship sports dual Garmin G5s and a GNX375, so had to choose
Flying EFIS Other than above and Satisfied

I have two GRT WS EFISs and they have been great. I would only replace them with the newer GRT EXs.

I?ve had the Dynon D180 and it was ok. Next build had Skyview Touch and really liked it. My current ride has AFS and couldn?t be happier with it. I have also used the G3x and it was probably comparable to the Skyview HDX. IMO, AFS is a cut above. Dynon/AFS customer support and warranty is truly excellent.

Basically useless poll

Some of the comments on this thread may be interesting but the poll itself is flawed and virtually useless. It limits itself to only one Garmin EFIS, includes all Dynon models, includes all GRT models, but excludes AFS altogether (which might be the best of the bunch).

Some of the comments on this thread may be interesting but the poll itself is flawed and virtually useless. It limits itself to only one Garmin EFIS, includes all Dynon models, includes all GRT models, but excludes AFS altogether (which might be the best of the bunch).

The omission of AFS is a significant flaw in the poll as currently composed.

Nothing but high praise for ADVANCED FLIGHT SYSTEMS! (Now merged with Dynon) I have the AFS 5600 in two VFR aircraft. My RV-7 is a 'Quick Panel' installation which I would do again. Software updates are FREE! Great product, Robb!

Back