What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Three questions on Electronic Ignition options

salty

Well Known Member
1. I understand the Pmag has an internal generator, but I'm unclear if it still relies on ship power to control it. What exactly happens if you lose ship power? Is the pmag unaffected, does it revert to fixed timing, stop working, random choice of the above? lol

2. Is the Pmag for 6 cylinder Lycomings shipping yet? I've seen a lot of complaining that it's a someday thing, but nothing definitive that it's out yet.

3. Are there other options for self-powered electric ignition? I've been reading up on them, but frankly most of them aren't described in great detail.

Answers:
1. The pMag only needs ship power on startup - as long as engine RPM stays above the minimum for the internal generator to provide the power needed to run the ignition (advertised at ~900 RPM but my test show it can go lower). When running the pMag primarily uses the internal generator power to run the ignition. In short, disconnect ship power with the engine running and the pMag continues to function as before.
2. Six cylinder pMags are shipping (and running on my old RV-10 for close to a year now). It provides a significant cruise efficiency gain over the old mag. For this stock IO-540 application, timing is set 25-34 degrees BTDC - so a maximum of 9 degrees of advance.
3. The only other self powered ignition option that I know of is a mag.

Carl

Back