What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Chains vs. Tailwheel links

N62XS

Well Known Member
As a low time taildragger pilot, after three flights and having several other RVs taxi and fly my new bird, I have some questions/concerns about the tail wheel control link I installed. To all, it seems "squirrley" or overly sensitive to control input as compared to other tail wheel aircraft I have flown and comments from other RVers with tail chains. My current plan is to replace the link with chains/springs and try this out for feel and control. I do not want to break my new bird. Any thoughts?

Last edited:
I personally prefer the chains/springs. Adjust the chains with little or no slack.
Mel...DAR

What's the symptom

What's the symptom?

Is your tailwheel well lubed -- that is to say, the pivot swings freely and smoothly, and you don't feel it "sticking" when you try to steer, and then when it unsticks you get a lot of steering you didn't want? That reflects more on the tailwheel than the steering mechanism imho.

Is your steering link attached to the rudder horn at the called-out location as per plans?

I have a Rocket steering link on my RV-7 and have never had any problems with it. As long as I keep my tailwheel well lubed, it's smooth as butta.

)_( Dan
RV-7 N714D (757 hours)
http://www.rvproject.com

RV-8 steering link--long

I'm a few months ahead of you on the RV-8 transition and can offer my thoughts. I'm not a CFI and not a particularly high time tailwheel pilot, although I have managed to scrounge a little bit of time in a few different TW airplanes over the years.

I had the same impression intially about the steering link on my RV-8. I was able to touch down OK on the mains, but my directional control deteriorated as soon as I brought the tail down.

Six months and probably 175 landings later, I'm much happier with the setup.

The RV-8 rudder is very effective with the airplane up on the mains, even down to fairly low speeds. It is noticeably less effective with the tail low unless there is a crosswind (I have a three-blade CS prop which probably contributes to this). With the tailwheel on the ground, the steering is very positive and quick.

Currently, in most conditions, I try to roll the mains on with the tail low, and hold the tail off the runway until I'm very slow, which requires a lot of forward stick by the end of the roll. By the time I put the tail down, I'm so slow that the transition is nil. If you lower the tail early in the landing roll, it's like turning on power steering, and you have to be ready for the increase in responsiveness. I've found that a better way to increase directional control early in the roll is to lift the tail, which puts the rudder in cleaner air.

I haven't yet discoverd the secret to graceful 3-point landings. I've made 2 that were perfect, but the rest have been ugly.

The airplane is easiest to land with a little crosswind, as this feeds the tail clean air.

The steering link is a huge benefit in crosswind taxi, where it prevents a lot of the weathervaning that is typical in taildraggers. I can taxi right down the yellow stripe in a crosswind with no more effort than a cherokee.

My landings have gotten pretty consistent, and I don't worry about having an audience. I don't intentially three-point if anybody is watching though ;-).

I was a little nervous at first about flying with passengers and a CG farther aft, since it has been my experience that many tailwheel airplanes are more challenging with pax in the back, but this hasn't been an issue at all.

My $.02. Hope it's somewhat helpful.

James Freeman

spring types

I fly with chains hooked to compression springs to the rudder tiller, slight slack in the chains.

I have tried tension springs, and they were no good.

Difference is that compression springs give a certin level of cushioned travel, then bottom out for positive control, while tension springs just keep streaching.

I have not flown with a solid rod link, so can not comment on the characteristics of them, but I would think that they would be way too sensitive.

This is not on a r/v, but I cant see why it would not be applicable to them.

Now if only the -10 came with a tailwheel------------------

Mike

Last edited:
tailwheel link

I have not flown with a solid rod link, so can not comment on the characteristics of them, but I would think that they would be way too sensitive.

Just so there is no misunderstanding, both tailwheel links on the market that I am aware of are not "solid"; they have internal springs that offer damping similar to properly adjusted chains/springs.

I have several hundred hours on the "Jantzi" link on my RV-6. When it was first installed, I noticed very little difference in the feel of it and the nearly tight chains I originally used. But the link looks much nicer and has performed perfectly.

Since originally using primarily three-point landings, I have resorted to wheel landings for the last several hundred hours. The airspeed target is a little more forgiving with wheel landings, and the plane has less tendency to skip following touchdown. Landing with full flaps promotes a level attitude (of plane and pilot!) that makes it easier to "stick" the landing.

Sam Buchanan (RV-6, 709 hrs)

Sam, thanks for the clarification----------as I said, I have no experiance with the rod linkage. As I picture it in my mind, I can see how springs would make a lot of difference.

I would assume that the springs compress for a short distance, then bottom out to give the effect of a solid rod. Dampen minor oscillations, and then give positive control.

Probably could be done with bullet nosed rods and spring stops, less drag than chains/springs, go .001 mph faster.

Mike

One more data point

I think putting the chains back on to see how it feels is a good idea, however I don't think the steering link is the problem.

I do think you can set up chains a little slacker for a looser feel. I do know the RV is different than other taildraggers, not harder just different. I describe the RV like a real (real) fast cub as far as handing (t/o, landing and taxi). But other taildraggers have longer wheel bases.

I like to have positive (tight or you might say sensitive) control. In my RV I taxi straight, fast with NO foot dancing. It just goes straight and move my feet little, it at all. The down side is if you do move your feet it will turn.

I know with a little slack you kind of do a little tap dance or shuffle to make continuous small corections, which is common in other taildraggers.

It comes down to preference, experience and control. I don't think the steering link has that much to do with it, but it does not have the ability to be as loose in it's adjustment range as chains and springs.

Remember in the OLD OLD days cars had sloppy steering and you where wiggling the wheel back and forth (watch an old move for a laugh). Now in my Acura (even with variable power ratio power steering) if I move my wheel a fraction of an inch I am changing lanes, fast. The Acura just turns the boost down at high speed to improve feel and feed back.

The Big caution is you never want to limit rudder travel by having the steering bind or restrict. I have a Terri's steering link. The other brand I am not familiar with but looks similar in function. On my RV-4 I had compression springs and made cables vs. the chain for a cleaner look. They worked great also.

So experiment with the feel, but I would not run the chains too loose. George

Last edited:
Chains vs steering link

I flew with chains for awhile and then switched to the steering link......it took about one flight to get used to it.....I love it....it is more responsive and that is a good thing.
Bob Martin
RV-6

Rod link

Well It took me 10-20 landings in my Tailwind to get used to the rod link( this is the rod link with no springs inside) But once you get it is great. A real senstaive touch, yes but it was like driving a car after the tailwheel was on the ground. I sure would think about a rod setup with the internal spring if I just had a 6.

Brad RV-6A
-firewall forward

RV-8 steering link

For gluttons, here is a short video clip from the TailCam. The video is compressed for web streaming, you can kind of see what the tail does through the landing.

There was about 8G14 wind for this landing, 45 degrees off the runway heading. You can see the required crosswind correction in the flare and while the tail is still up, but the corrections get smaller when the tail comes down.

Also note that there is essentially no rudder input at all during straight taxi, in spite of the crosswind and big vertical stab

James Freeman

I hate to make this a debate but

One of the reasons I like the TG better is taxi, it is just easier. The idea of jabbing and dragging the brakes to keep the plane from weather vanning is not appealing. With a taildragger you have tail wheel steering. WIth the model-A you don't have positive steering, you have differential brakes only. I have heard that the "A's" burn the brakes more. G (flame suit on)

Just thought I'd add my two cents regarding the " interesting twitch" experienced when raising the tail on takeoff: any change in the plane of rotation of the propellor is sensed as actually coming a further 90 degrees around in its spin.
For example, on takeoff with the tail still on the runway, if the tail is raised to enable the airplane to run on the mainwheels, this of course "pushes" on the circle made by the rotating propellor at the top. However, the propellor is rotating clockwise( as viewed from the cockpit) and this change in the plane of the propellor's arc is therefore felt at the 3-o'clock position of its arc.
Now, pushing on the propellor at the 3-o'clock position results in the nose being pushed to the left, which is exactly what happens.
For this reason, I counsel my kids to always try to avoid serious pitch-change inputs while on the takeoff roll, save the single one to raise the tail a little into the takeoff attitude. A few good phugoids of the aircraft in pitch either way while running tail-high on the mains at a high-power setting will result in a serious tiger-by-the-tail swerving experience. Hope your runway is wide....

Can't believe no one has mentioned Tail Lynx yet....

Van's chains/springs:
- Somewhat loose feeling, depending on how you adjust them
- Really ugly and draggy
- They rust

Rocket Link
- Much tighter and more responsive, too much so for some, but you will get used to it.
- Much better looking and doesnt rust

Tail Lynx:
- Just the "right" feel, between the standard chains and the very sensitive Rocket Link
- All stainless construction, beautiful and less draggy

To me they are the best of both worlds. They are available from Van's...
http://www.vansaircraft.com/cgi-bin/catalog.cgi?ident=1137084583-234-189&browse=misc&product=tail-lynx

I have to admit that I've had to tame my Rocket as it relates to the tailwheel/chains "thingy". At first I had a Jantzi Steering Link and just couldn't control things. I didn't like the feel, just too stiff especially when landing in a crosswind.

I ended up with a set to Lynx tailwheel springs and I have to say that I like them a lot. I have them attached to the rudder horn with no slack, so I have positive steering during taxi. The springs seem to give a lot more when the tailwheel is not exactly aligned with the direction of flight upon touchdown.

I would recommend these springs.

What's better about springs?

I have only flown my RV-7 with the Rocket Steering Link, so I don't have the perspective of having used springs or the new lynx setup. But I'm curious what the behavior was with the Rocket link that made it so uncontrollable.

I guess what I'm confused about is why stiffness and responsiveness would be a problem...in crosswinds like you mentioned. I'm not trying to argue here. I'm just looking for clarification if possible.

I've been extremely happy with my Rocket Steering Link on my RV-7, but maybe I just don't know any better. It has never given me any problems, and I've never had any problems in any crosswind or any other conditions.

)_( Dan
RV-7 N714D (766 hours)
http://www.rvproject.com

Dan,

For me, there was less "give" when the tailwheel was not aligned with the direction of flight upon landing. When the tailwheel would hit, the spring would give a little, but still push the tail over to one side. The springs seems to be more forgiving and don't tend to point me towards the weeds as fast.

Look, for me, it's probably just bad landing technique on my part. I probably should have the rudder more aligned upon touchdown, but my heavy feet won't work that fast. I admit that I never had a problem with my RV-6 in this regard, but I always had Van's springs installed. Maybe because the Rocket is a little heavier in the nose, it reacts quicker and thus, appears to be more sensitive to having the tailwheel aligned.

Back