What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Introducing ?Tsamsiyu?

Ironflight

VAF Moderator / Line Boy
Mentor
After two years of building, four months of testing, and six weeks in the paint shop, Louise and I are happy to introduce “Tsamsiyu” – the RV-3 formerly known as “Junior”.

2yn1lzb.jpg

While we were building, we suspected that this airplane was going to be something different, but it wasn’t until we had flown that we were sure – it isn’t just different, it is amazing! Have you ever flown like a bird? I mean…being so free in the sky, maneuvering so effortlessly, going wherever you want to go – like a bird? Flying the RV-3 is as close as I have ever come to being a flying creature – the handling qualities are so natural that you simply think about what you want to do, and the airplane does it.

16lwadx.jpg

The minute we slip into the cockpit of this intensely personal airplane, we feel connected – hands fall naturally to the important controls, the seat provides a comfortable cocoon, and the visibility invites you to believe that you are one with the sky. Control forces are perfectly balanced, and movements are almost immeasurable – the pleasure of flight invites a grin and a longing to remain in the sky. The feeling reminded us both of a movie from a couple of years ago – a movie of a fictional place and time, a movie that stirs the emotions and leaves one longing to soar.

2qmnu6x.jpg

“Tsamsiyu” means “warrior” in the Navi language (created for the movie Avatar by linguist Paul Frommer) and the image we wanted to create is that of the Ikran – the flying mount of the Navi warriors. Imagine the freedom of swooping down the side of a towering cumulous….yeah, that’s the feeling! Now aircraft paint schemes are a very personal thing – no matter what you choose to do, some will like it, some will hate it. That’s the nature of art, whether it be visual, audio, performance – or written. But even if the colors and design are not to taste, the skill of the artist can be acknowledged. Tsamsiyu’s (we’ll probably refer top her as “Tsam”) paint is the product of GLO Custom in Fort Worth, Texas.

fmj30n.jpg

Grady painted my RV-8 about six years ago, and I still enjoy seeing it every time I open the hangar door – the true test of a paint design. For Tsam, Grady enlisted the aid of an incredible artist – Scott “Shark” Draper. Shark has a portfolio of airbrush art that left our jaws on the floor. He quickly understood the feelings we were trying to invoke, and did his magic on our bird after Grady and Brandon had cleaned up the fiberglass and laid down a beautiful base coat. Grady followed up with the clear coat over the airbrush work, and a shadow of the upper surfaces on the belly to create a piece of art that moves in three dimensions. The prep work for Shark took about htree weeks, the air brush time another three, and finishing about a week and a half. We couldn’t be happier with the result – and the detail has to be seen to be believed.

15p696w.jpg

We’re excited to have Tsam back in operation – “Junior” no more! It’s a good thing that Louise and I have worked out the sharing of the airplane in advance (I get to fly it when she isn’t….), because this is definitely the one to take when you want that perfect feeling of flight!

Paul and Louise

MANY thanks to our Fearless Leader Doug Reeves who braved sitting backwards in Danny King's "Beautiful Doll" this morning (in the low level bumps of North texas) to get the air to air shots you see here!
[ed. It was absolutely my pleasure! dr]

Last edited by a moderator:
WOW!

That is an amazing paint job. I didn't even notice what model RV it was - I was just looking at the paint. Now I have to go back and see what it is you actually built!! Very nice.

Tsam looks incredible, Louise and Paul! Congrats.
Something special happens to an airplane when the paint is applied. .. the dream is completed. You done good!

Congrats to Grady and his crew for transforming Junior into Tsam.

Unfortunately, he'll always be Junior to some of us. A rose, by any other name would smell as sweet ... but would still be a rose ... :). (my apologies to Mr. Shakespeare)

Last edited:
WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! what an awesome paint job! Definately a first class plane in all respects!!!!
Proud of both of you!
Tom

I thought Grady and Brandon did a great job on my purple and yellow -10, but I see they were saving the really great stuff for Tsam. Absolutely beautiful. Congratulations to all.

Jim Berry
RV-10

SPECIAL!!!

A very Special airplane built by a very Special couple deserves a very Special paint job.
Count me as one who likes it. :D
Now we know why your "avatars" were changed recently. :eek:

Now that is the one I want!

Great job, I love the paint job.
Can't wait to see it in person.
I call first shot when you sell it!

I have seen a lot of RV paint jobs. Never seen anything like that before. :eek:

Not sure if I like it or not, makes no difference if I do or don't, as long as you guys are happy.

Never seen anything even remotely close.

Congrats and A++ for originality! ;)

Beautiful, simply gorgeous

Well Folks

I think we're seeing '' THE OSHKOSH 2012 '' winner here without a doubt...

Magnifique....

Bruno

Can you imagine all the therapy that will be needed to any bird in proximity to this plane? Seriously cool!!! Do you have smoke? That will also add to the personality of this paint job.

That is simply amazing. I knew what that was saposed to resemble the second I saw it. I have dreamed of flying on one of those.

I just hate it when people get all gushy about a common paint job

Boy this isn't one of those times - that is world class By God AWESOME!!!!

Bob Axsom

Im personally not a fan of over the top paint jobs... until now. Holy cow pie, Tsam looks fantastic!!! Put me in line for buying it way down the road. I might be able to afford it by then :rolleyes:.
Anyways... I love it and cant wait to see it up close!!! :cool:

Unbelievable!! Fantastic job obviously a heck of an advertisement for glo custom.. Look forward to seeing it in person.
Ryan

New control interface?

If we get to OSH and see that Paul and Louise have long pony tails with a feathery fringe on the end someone is going to freak. Have they been hanging out at Trio's skunkworks hangar over the past several months? I'm just askin.

NX13PL

I haven't seen an NX registration number on a new airplane in a very long time. I did a forum search and came up empty. I'm sure there is a story behind this and I am interested - not because I want to change anything - I simply would like to know your story.

Bob Axsom

Nice pictures - enjoy your accomplishments !

I think there will definitely been some marital discourse with this airplane - it already has a gender challenge - Paul calls it a "she" and in a separate thread Louse calls it a "he" :)

Congratulations!

This could slow down your overall cross-country time since you'll draw a crowd at every stop! :D.

Are you going to develop a FAQ handout?

Super!

How long does a piant job like that take?

Did one person do all of that?

I have never seen a paint job ( that looks Good ) hide the check fairings so well.

It has changed the shape of the aircraft completely.

That is a really inspired Job.

So I have a question, who came up with the concept?

Imagine that apparition suddenly come barrelling around the corner of a fluffy white cloud at you. :eek:
You'd be reaching for the go faster control until you realised what it was. Amazing artwork Paul and Louise. Looks fantastic!

Back