What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Ready for inspection

LettersFromFlyoverCountry

Well Known Member
N614EF was rolled out for the official three-view photos yesterday. She's done and awaiting a DAR:

2012-05-20_17-59-18_759.jpg

Today, I start transition training with Tom Berge.

Bob,

I am so proud of you for sticking this thing out and seeing it through!

Relax and enjoy the training. It will be fun!

Can't wait to see the first flight announcement!

Ready

Proud of you Bob! Can't wait for the first flight. Not many people can say that they've FINISHED and FLOWN their own homebuilt airplane!

"You da man"!!!!!:D

Not only proud, but very happy for you. You have become the example for so many builders here. The roadblocks you have overcome will seem nothing for a time, mere bumps in the road that has been a long, hard journey. No matter what the outcome and final destination of your airplane, it will always be Bob Collins' plane. Congratulations on a job well done!

Bob

Not only proud, but very happy for you. You have become the example for so many builders here. The roadblocks you have overcome will seem nothing for a time, mere bumps in the road that has been a long, hard journey. No matter what the outcome and final destination of your airplane, it will always be Bob Collins' plane. Congratulations on a job well done!

Bob

I completely agree - and if anything, this is an understatement.

Seeing some of the misfortunes to befall Bob's project and putting myself in his place, I'm not sure I would have been able to continue. The whole rear-spar issue, for example. Each time, however, Bob continued. He took a step back, said a choice word or three, and came back the next day to keep working at it.

More than once Bob's determination was a key inspiration for my project, and others I'm sure.

Looks good! Real good. Congratulations and good luck with the inspection, training and that first flight.

Dan

Inspirational

As i have noted before, Bob is one of my original RV friends and one of my best friends. I know many have commented on this over the years. The difference between Bob and the rest of us is that he took the time to put his feelings, "on the air," if you will. We've all shared these thoughts, just didn't write about them.

Also, there is far more to Bob, his family and this project than was shared. For a very small group that know, "the rest of the story," the completion of his plane is nothing short of a miracle. I'm sincerely moved by his accomplishment.

Bob, dinner on me the first night you are Oshkosh!!!!

Good luck on your transition training.

N614EF was rolled out for the official three-view photos yesterday. She's done and awaiting a DAR:

2012-05-20_17-59-18_759.jpg

Today, I start transition training with Tom Berge.

Now, I hate to rain on your parade, but most DARs want it opened up for inspection, as if it were the conditional inspection. Another day removing all of the inspection covers, floor plates, cowlings, baggage bulk head, . . . I had about 5 people helping me put all of mine back on. 3 hours after the DAR left, I was in the air.
Nothing, aviation wise, will ever compare to your first lift off.

True

Nothing, aviation wise, will ever compare to your first lift off.

Truer words were never spoken - that instant is magic.

Is there a book and a movie in the future? Most people do not have your power of observation, composition, humbling experience and achievement to do such a thing but I think you could gain some rewards for your labors.

As great as this achievement is, it does not minimize the risks ahead. Be careful.

Bob Axsom

Bob---I am very proud of you! You have shown a bunch of us what it means to finsih what you started. You kinda take all of our excuses away. Guess I need to start. Pleased to have been able to help out-----looking forward to reports of first flight.
Congrats!
Tom

I did some ground school and a couple hours of transition flying with Tom Berge this morning and am going back tonight at 6:30 for some more. Man, there's a lot of pavement in the windshield on approach. :p

It was fun. I asked Tom how I was doing. "Average," he said.

So, already, RV flying has made me a better pilot than I was. ;)

An idea for your first flight

After a hearty congratulations on your accomplishment. Enjoy the moment(s). they are very well deserved. :)

Consider borrowing one of those small digital cameras to mount under the wing or fuse to record your first flight. I have some nice still photos from a chase plane, and video from the ground of the takeoff of my first flight. I treasure these, but the new small digital cameras available these days do an outstanding job of recording the flight experience. YOUR FIRST TIME is to be remembered... :D

I've thought a little bit about how to document this but it hasn't been much of a priority yet. One of the logistical problems is I'm taking off at one airport (KSGS) and landing at another (airlake) about 25 miles away because first flights aren't allowed at my home airport. Not sure how to handle that.

N614EF, as many know, honors my parents -- Eileen and Fred -- who were married on June 14, 1942, just before my dad went off to the war. This would have been the 70th anniversary and I kind of want to do a first flight on that day and -- assuming it goes well -- have something to give my mother (Dad died in '04) as an "anniversary present." She's always been tickled with the N-number I chose.

Unfortunately 6/14 this year is on a Thursday and that might not work.

Had another session with Tom Berge tonight. The landings improved, especially the last two. The TOs have been strong and I feel very comfortable flying his 7A. Haven't done power-on stalls, or engine out work yet.

But it was a fun day.

Oh, and my youngest son -- Patrick -- also went flying for the first time today. He took a shortcut down.

522358_10150847590842599_520092598_9707031_1285449888_n.jpg

Last edited:

Ya'know this kind of photo in a thread about getting ready for a first flight is not going to be easy to leave alone--------

I can just hear the comments now------"there we were, exploring hi G steep turns, and spin entry"

Last edited:

Ya'know this kind of photo in a thread about getting ready for a first flight is not going to be easy to leave alone--------

I can just hear the comments now------"there we were, exploring hi G steep turns, and spin entry"

And then I saw him. 5 o'clock low. We were too close for a missile shot... :rolleyes:

As RV7Guy Suggests, The Rest of the Story ...

As RV7Guy suggests, The Rest of the Story just keeps getting better and better. I was wanting to ask who EF was, I figured the 614 was June 14. The line about it already made you a better pilot when your transition trainer said you were doing average is just the right humor. It almost makes one want to be there to see that first flight. People say you should only have essential personnel there but in all honesty when it is time to fly everything else fades into total insignificance.

Bob Axsom

Bob, NPR should do a story on this. If they do I'll contribute, if they don't I'll withhold this year's contribution! Where's Ira Glass when you need him?!?

Congratulation BOB,
I am a ways behind you but proud of you for all the hard work and like others sticking too it.

I know things can go wrong... today I had one, not terrible.. but a couple of hour delay..

Congratulations again
Smilin' Jack

Very very cool ....

...she looks resplendent in her gray and polished livery. BIGtime congrats, Bob!!!
I'm about 2 months behind you with my 9A.

Back