What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Adjust rudder pedals for new owner?

MacCool

Well Known Member
I'm in the process of purchasing a nice RV9a, contingent on all the usual stuff. I haven't seen the plane yet, so I don't know how it fits. This kit was completed in 2010, and I'm purchasing it from the second owner.

I have short legs...29 inch inseam. If necessary....how would I accommodate reach to the rudder pedals? I realize that that distance is set during the build, but I also understand that the pedals can be moved after construction is completed (although I'm sure some re-rigging would be required).

Any advice for making an already-completed RV9a accommodate a short guy?

Pedal adjustment

Hopefully the original builder may already have allowed for some adjustment by drilling extra mounting holes during construction. Some builders do this. There are six bolts that secure the rudder pedal blocks. And hopefully the central attachment bracket will not have been trimmed, as this would limit how much the pedals can be shifted back.

There are two steel linkage plates that connect the rudder cables to the pedals and these will need to be replaced with the appropriate length parts.

Otherwise you could use cushions, which is what our "short leg" club members do when they fly the club plane.

Congrats on choosing a plane that is very pleasant to fly!

There are also rudder bar standoffs you can either purchase or make. I will likely also help with the brake geometry so that you are less likely to ride the brakes.
You should be able to find some former posts regarding this on the forum. My standoffs are about an inch and work great. They can be seen in a picture in the post below.

https://vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=173877&page=3

Tom.
RV-7

Last edited:
my legs

I have a 9A. Inseam is 30 inches. The seat back has three piano hinges. Mine is set in the middle one. I suspect you will only have to use the forward hinge and will be perfect. I know some modify and lean the seat way back (Antisplat) but that is not comfortable for me. In gusty conditions I have always found myself leaning my seat right up tall... better to see the impending doom.
Anyway, look for the simpler solution first, then modify pedals if needed. I would avoid that if possible.
Be prepared to fall in love with the best designed cross country plane you have ever flown. Hats off to Van. An amazing engineer!

I'm in the process of purchasing a nice RV9a, contingent on all the usual stuff. I haven't seen the plane yet, so I don't know how it fits. This kit was completed in 2010, and I'm purchasing it from the second owner.

I have short legs...29 inch inseam. If necessary....how would I accommodate reach to the rudder pedals? I realize that that distance is set during the build, but I also understand that the pedals can be moved after construction is completed (although I'm sure some re-rigging would be required).

Any advice for making an already-completed RV9a accommodate a short guy?
I purchased my 9 from a 6 footer. I also have a 29” inseam. My seat bottom is in the most forward position, we did move the rudder pedal attach points and I bought some of those rudder pedal stand offs from Anti Splat. The rudder pedal stand offs for me was to make it easier to stay off the brakes. I am very comfortable in my 9. No extra back cushions.

I've learned at least a few things about the RV9a...
  • it's a very beloved aircraft. I've not seen or heard anyone yet that owned one and wasn't enthusiastic about it.
  • the rudder pedal distance, from a practical standpoint, doesn't really seem to be much of an issue

I know a guy that, unbeknownst to me, just completed building an RV9a about 60 hours ago here at our local airport. He has generously offered to take me flying in it tomorrow so I can get a better idea about what I'm buying

I'm excited to get this going. Thank you all for your encouragement.

So...I bought an RV-9A. Beautiful plane and wonderful to fly. It has an anti-splat almost-a-14 mod, which will e great for my son who is 6’ 5” but with my seat forward, it fits me like a glove.

Back