What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Making planeIFR capable after initial inspection

dreed

Well Known Member
Hey All-

Getting my in inspection tomorrow (fingers crossed). Currently my plane is VFR only (day/night) but I did set it up such that I just need to add an IFD540 (extra Comm and GPS+ NAV/LOC antennas installed and wired to panel).

When I was creating my program letter I left it as Day/Night VFR since it is not yet equipped of IFR flight. I'll probably add the IFD540 during or shortly after phase 1, what steps are necessary (if any) to update this? Do you need to go back into phase 1 for a 5 hour fly off phase?

Thanks - sorry if dumb question. I guess I can ask Gary tomorrow too.
dan

As far as I know the biggy you want to see is the wording on your ops limits. Attached is a picture of mine that I made sure the DAR put on there.

I don't know if it's standard to be there or not. I'm guessing the IFR paragraph is not standard included.

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    65.9 KB · Views: 204
Last edited:
You may wish to call your DAR tonight to be sure there is no confusion. The standard Op Limits will say, "Day VFR unless equipped iaw FAR 91.205... (I think that's the right number)". Just make sure he does not delete that phrase from the standard OP Limits. Then you need do nothing but "be equipped per 91.205" to file IFR. Note that for some IFR flights the actual requirements are pretty modest - "Navigation equipment appropriate for the flight" 50 years ago might have meant just an ADF!
Edit: Jerry has posted the phrasing you want to see. It's standard. Just make sure it's not deleted!

Op Limits

My Op limits are very similar:
"Instrument flight is authorized if the instruments specified in 91.205(c) are installed, operational, and maintained in accordance with the applicable requirements of part 91."

I have similar language about night flight. So what I did was after I got my pink slip, I made two logbook entries that detailed what equipment I had for night flight and what I had for instrument flight, signed, dated, with my Repairman Certificate number. That way you have expressly complied with the Operating Limits and documented it as such.

As far as I know the biggy you want to see is the wording on your ops limits. Attached is a picture of mine that I made sure the DAR put on there.

I don't know if it's standard to be there or not. I'm guessing the IFR paragraph is not standard included.

I can confirm that this language matches what's in my updated ops limitations received this week from the ATL FSDO. This is standard, you should not have to ask to have it added. But still a good idea to confirm.

The statement of VFR Vs. IFR on the program letter is not binding.

Your op lims should state that You may fly IFR if equipped and current per §91.205 as others have stated.

Thank you all!

Gary Brown is doing the inspection today (out of Independence, OR). I'll make sure to discuss this with him.

Thanks again-
dan

Thanks Jereme!

Well, I am happy to say that she is officially a plane now- or is that after the first? Well, either way we passed inspection.

BTW- for those folks out West, Gary Brown was great and I learned a lot in the time he was inspecting the plane.

On to phase 1

dan

Thanks Jereme!

Well, I am happy to say that she is officially a plane now- or is that after the first? Well, either way we passed inspection.

BTW- for those folks out West, Gary Brown was great and I learned a lot in the time he was inspecting the plane.

On to phase 1

dan

Heck ya Dan!!! Super pumped for you man! Feel free to drop me a PM anytime if you have questions on first flight/ phase 1. I'm no expert but I'm about 3/4 way through phase 1 at this point so I can at least give you my take.

Back