What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Was; Part numbers needed---RV-6 engine mount gussets. Now; How do I Order?

Sam Buchanan

been here awhile
Vans hasn't replied to my request for these numbers so am wondering if anyone knows the part numbers I need so I can order these repair gussets. These are the gussets that are used to reinforce the area around the gear sockets where small cracks sometimes appear.

Thanks!

Hey Sam - I was going to say that Russ McCutcheon knows exactly what you need, but you already got the answer. I can, however, tell you that when Russ fixed our -6 mount last year, he had to do a little touch up work on the brackets he got from Van’s (a little re-shaping with a file) to get the fit the way he wanted it before welding. So expect the fit might have to be tweaked.

Paul

Thank you!

However, I can't find a path on the Vans website where I can create a cart with these items in it. I use their search engine in the store and these parts aren't found.

When I tried calling I got voice mail (from which I never got a reply....).

So...how do I order these parts? Email? Telegraph? Mental telepathy??

Last edited:
computers

computers do exactly what you tell them to... unless someone programs around it to be "smart".

the actual part numbers appear to be WD-762A-L and WD-762A-R

when in doubt, trim off the suffix and search. Also note that the Van's part search requires the "-" in the number in the right place. So search for WD762 gets you nothing.

To close the loop on this thread...

I tried several combinations of the part numbers including how they are shown on "The List" and nothing ever showed up on Vans web search. So you can't create a shopping cart.

However, Leticia at Vans replied to my email, took the order and the parts are on the way. But she wasn't able to give me the total price of the order until it got channeled over to shipping. A little clumsy but it worked out eventually.

Yep, that was my oversight. I was using the search box at the top of the website instead of the one in the store.

I'll do better next time.

Pics of said part

Went to vans and got the part number for the gussets to come up , but no image.. I am better suited to make my own gussets. Can someone inform me the SB or pics of the gussets so I can build on and consider putting these on my 6a mount as needed. Thanks
Billythekid

Went to vans and got the part number for the gussets to come up , but no image.. I am better suited to make my own gussets. Can someone inform me the SB or pics of the gussets so I can build on and consider putting these on my 6a mount as needed. Thanks
Billythekid

The gussets are only applicable to the RV-6 taildragger. I don’t recall seeing where the 6A has any problems with gear cracks.

Does anyone here have a link, or reference to the service bulletin for the engine mount gussets? I haven’t been able to find it on the Vans website. I’m building an older used RV6 kit and I don’t think the mount has the gussets. (I haven’t seen a picture of where they are, or what they look like, so I don’t know)
Thanks

Does anyone here have a link, or reference to the service bulletin for the engine mount gussets? I haven’t been able to find it on the Vans website. I’m building an older used RV6 kit and I don’t think the mount has the gussets. (I haven’t seen a picture of where they are, or what they look like, so I don’t know)
Thanks

Maybe if someone could post pictures of a current RV6 - 7 mount showing all the gussets on it, would be a snap to copy. You just need some sheets of cardboard to make patterns, a buddy with a plasma cutter, same buddy probably has a Tig welder. Done.

Engine Mount

Paul did an excellent article a few months ago in Kitplanes with lots of pictures showing before and after.

Thanks Dave. I was under the impression that the gussets were for the upper end of the landing gear tube, but from the post you sent, it apparently goes on the bottom. Vans still sells the gussets on the website (WD-762AL / WD-762AR). I wonder if they provide a picture/drawing of where they go. Guess I’ll call them and find out….. Or maybe I can find a newer RV7 and just look.

Back