What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Battery

olyolson

Well Known Member
Friend
I am considering replacing the battery in my -8 with a lighter weight model. I am replacing the metal Hartzell with an MT 3 blade so I’m losing about 10 lbs up front. I have the battery just behind the aft baggage area and have thought about the EarthX but they are ridiculously expensive and don’t seem to last any longer than normal batteries. I put an EarthX in my -4 many years ago and it made a HUGE difference in start power but the airplane had a big fat beast of an aerobatic prop on it so it needed it.

I have an IO-360B1B in my-8 and thinking with the lighter prop up front I might be able to use a PC680 but that’s a long way to the starter. Will the PC680 have enough juice for a good start?

No doubt EarthX would be more than capable but it’s kinda hard to justify at almost four times the cost for the same lifetime.

EarthX ain't the only option in lithium batteries. The Deltran I am running cost about the same as the PC680.

RV8A, 0-360, RV200 prop and PC680 behind the aft baggage compartment. It has enough Juice to start even in 20 degree MN days. With that said if I screw up and miss the first couple tries starting I'm done and need to put a charger on it.

Only Deltran batteries I’ve found on line are lithium ion. If that’s their only product, no thanks.

I recently swapped out my boat anchor Concord firewall mounted batt in my 8 wth a Full River HC20 AGM us gbtheing same batt holder with a couple of right angles pop riveted to the batt box floor to secure it, it's an Oddysee clone without the price tag! Additionally I fitted a battery isolator to my firewall accesable thru the oil door.

Spins my 360 like atop:)

EarthX ain't the only option in lithium batteries. The Deltran I am running cost about the same as the PC680.

I am using the EarthX 900 as my primary battery and have the Deltran as my back-up battery. The EarthX was brand new and free from a Sonex builder that had a change of mind, and the Deltran was under $150.

I recently swapped out my boat anchor Concord firewall mounted batt in my 8 wth a Full River HC20 AGM us gbtheing same batt holder with a couple of right angles pop riveted to the batt box floor to secure it, it's an Oddysee clone without the price tag! Additionally I fitted a battery isolator to my firewall accesable thru the oil door.

Spins my 360 like atop:)

Capt, where did you acquire the Full River HC20 from? I can order an Odyssey PC680 from Odyssey for $132 and some change.

Capt, where did you acquire the Full River HC20 from? I can order an Odyssey PC680 from Odyssey for $132 and some change.

The Capt is in Australia, may be a brand only available there. Wonder if you install it upside down??? :D

There are many PC680 clones available in the states, just google PC680 to see a bunch of them, they are common in watercraft, motorcycles and wheel chairs. I have $39 AGM PC680 wannabes in both of my planes and one is going on six years in service.

Last edited:
The Capt is in Australia, may be a brand only available there. Wonder if you install it upside down??? :D

There are many PC680 clones available in the states, just google PC680 to see a bunch of them, they are common in watercraft, motorcycles and wheel chairs. I have $39 AGM PC680 wannabes in both of my planes and one is going on six years in service.

Yeah the Full River HC20 it seams is only an Aussie labeled Chinese knock off of the 680. Still does a good job though:)

Back