What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Multimeter features - which did you find useful?

tyconnell

Well Known Member
Greetings,

I have a really old A.W. Sperry SP-152A Analog Multimeter - it measures basic things like Volts, Ohms, Amps (I think) - I've really never used it for much more than making sure an electrical line does not have charge to it when wiring up something in the house.

Prompted to think forward a bit about the build by the "How do people learn this stuff" thread, I thought I would dig in to electronics a bit more. It occurred to me my existing multimeter may not be up to future RV tasks.

There is a dizzying array of price points and features on these things.

I have read (once) the Nuckolls' book - I'm reading it again for good measure. I will probably end up following a lot of his advice to power my magic carpet. I'm planning on night capable lighting - panel is TBD, but will have some toys in it (whatever makes sense, I can afford). Currently, I'm planning to wire it up myself.

What features have you found to be beneficial when installing and troubleshooting the systems in your RV?

uses for DVM

One of the most common uses is "ringing out" wires. Really just a continuity test, but with a beep from the meter so you don't have to look over at it.
Super accurate voltage readings will show "drop" at points in the system. Most read to at least two decimal points. Health of alternators, voltage regulators, drop during start up current draw etc.
Speaking of current. Switch the leads and put the meter in line with any avionic or other component to see the amount of current draw present.
Test for good grounding of antennas with the ohm meter.
Ring out mic and headphone jacks for troubleshooting.
Voltage monitoring of "automatic" standby battery chargers.
I am sure you will find mores uses. Digital will surprise you if leaving analog for the first time. Have fun.

Toner

Agreed. I have an old digital that has served me well for a long time. I also picked up an occasional Harbor Fright but don't care for them. Horribly inaccurate. Fluke is great but pricey.
I label with shrink labels but I still verify with the ohmeter on tone.

Back