What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Reclocking oil cooler fitting...

Michael Burbidge

Well Known Member
I need to reclock one of the fittings on my oil cooler. I used Permatex #2 (the black stuff) on the fitting. It's pretty solid. Any suggestions on removing the fitting without damaging the oil cooler?

Thanks,
Michael-

#2 is for aviation applications

Permatex #2 is non hardening. Should turn without too much force.

There are sometimes wrenching flats on the cooler so you can use two wrenches against each other. Pacific Oil Cooler specifically mentions that in their instructions.

Hopefully you used a steel fitting, aluminum fittings in the oil cooler pretty much guarantee galled threads.
As mention back you need to use 2 wrenches.
Tim Andres

#2 can be removed easily with denatured alcohol and should produce no problem getting the fitting out. Is the clocking advancing the thread clockwise? If so, you can just continue tightening, without removal. If you are going counter-clockwise, the same really applies. Once you have tightened an NPT thread to a specific point, you can't go backwards or it will leak. If you can't get another 3/4 turn, for example, you may have to try a different fitting. Removal and re-application of #2 acts as a lubricant and will help with further tightening. Sealant isn't really required on quality NPT threads. It's primary purpose is lubrication to allow the proper torque that provides the seal. Without lubrication, most people will stop before getting the fitting tight enough. That said, I always used #2 on NPT threads.

As mentioned, you need to used whatever the cooler provides for holding with a wrench. Some are hex and others have an aluminum plate with two parallel flats.

Larry

Last edited:
Reviving the thread: I too have to reclock oil lines from engine to oil cooler ( to leave space for the new P-Mag which are 1/2inch longer than slicks! ). When reclocked 3/4 anti clockwise as I can't go 1/4 further clockwise, there is not enough torque: might a clean up of the thread and a new permatex application help? alternatively, is teflon acceptable on these lines? thank you

Teflon "pipe dope" paste is ok, I would not use teflon tape as the tape can break off inside and 'get into stuff' in your lube system.

Another fitting

Order a couple more fittings. Each one usually sits a little different.

Really

Hopefully you used a steel fitting, aluminum fittings in the oil cooler pretty much guarantee galled threads.
As mention back you need to use 2 wrenches.
Tim Andres

I've heard this before, but I just replaced aluminum fittings that I had installed in my oil cooler (and engine) 13+ years/900 hours and I had no trouble removing them. These were installed with Bakerseal.

I guess it must depend on what kind of thread sealant is used, and possibly the source/quality of the fitting itself.

Skylor

Back