What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-10 - N688CD

cderk

Well Known Member
Be lurking around here for a few months. Took delivery of my empennage kit mid-October and began building November 1. So far its been pretty exciting. I've learned a wealth of information here on the forums. Can't imagine what it would be like building without this resource - so thanks to all of you who make it happen.

I set out thinking that my "log" was going to be done the old fashioned way... pen and a notebook. And for FAA purposes, that's what I'm doing (along with notes in the Vans instructions). But then I remembered how helpful it was reading blogs and kit logs from all of you - so I decided that I would keep a log online in the hopes of giving back to the community who has helped me out.

You can see progress at
http://n688cd.wordpress.com

Thanks for all your guidance!

Thanks Mike - I pretty freaking excited. Getting close to my first priming session - looking forward to riveting everything back together.

Section 6 - Complete

Woohoo! Actually finished something! I'm still pretty intimidated by the whole thing, but I got 'er done. Its far from perfect, but I'm sure it'll work.

Rudder Complete

Woo Hoo... making progress. 50+ hours in and I've got a vertical stabilizer and rudder. Starting to look like something

Congratulations and keep pounding. It really does finish one day.

One comment worth what it cost you. I started just like you with the carefully stripped blue plastic. However, unless you are planning on having nothing but a polished finish, its a waste of time IMO. The moment you take it to a paint shop, your carefully protected shiny surfaces are going to get rubbed raw with Scotch Brite pads. I've also seen scratches in the Alclad from the soldering iron.

Also, the longer the plastic is on, especially in hot areas, the harder it is to get off later and it can leave more residue. Rolling off the plastic from flat sheet with a broomstick works really well when it is non segmented. Just the eleventh opinion from any ten random experts.

Last edited:
Woo Hoo... making progress. 50+ hours in and I've got a vertical stabilizer and rudder. Starting to look like something

Charlie looks good! I agree with Myron get rid of that blue plastic asap. It will be pain in the neck to remove in a couple of years.

Let's see on the hours ... per your blog you started Nov 1st and now you have 50+ hours. I looked in my logbook for the same period and I see 81 hour. You need to catch up Charlie roll your sleeves :D

Let's see on the hours ... per your blog you started Nov 1st and now you have 50+ hours. I looked in my logbook for the same period and I see 81 hour. You need to catch up Charlie roll your sleeves :D

I've been divorced... Twice. Not something I'm proud of, but treading lightly. I don't have the stomach to go through it again.

I hear you on the plastic. I'm going to get rid of it. The Vans instructions mention the same thing.

HS almost complete!

Happy New Year everyone. I did my own celebrating this year and spent time in my basement banging rivets. Horizontal Stabilizer should be complete by the end of the weekend.

The build started out rough, but i've gotten to the point where I'm actually having a lot of fun and enjoying it.

The only thing that I hoped for for Christmas that Santa didn't deliver was a bigger place to work on this thing.

Elevator Finally Finished!

This has been the most time consuming piece so far... probably the most frustrating too!

Tailcone Progress

That moment when you realize, "Holy $hit... I'm building an airplane in my basement!"

Almost complete!

4 years and 3 months to the date of when I first started, I was able to start my engine. As it stands, my Airworthiness Inspection is scheduled for 3/21 (coincidentally my birthday). I think it would be pretty cool to have the "birthday" of my new baby on the same day as mine.

Its been quite a ride getting this thing built, but I see the light at the end of the tunnel.

There have been so many folks on here who have provided guidance throughout the build - the RV community is truly amazing!

https://youtu.be/YIr3Eq-wLls

Birth day

Charlie, I share a birthday with you. My RV-6 was inspected 3/21/2012 and
first flight 3/22, but my slow build 6 took 22 years . Enjoy your first flight.
It makes all the effort worthwhile.

Doug McMullin
Ottawa,Ks.
RV-6 350hrs.

Back