What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-10 in the backcountry

aturner

Well Known Member
From time to time folks ask how the -10 does on rough fields so I thought I would post a quick report on my experiences. My two sons and I just returned to Pennsylvania from a trip in which we hiked and fished in wilderness areas of Montana and Idaho. On this trip we landed and camped at Benchmark, Meadow Creek, Spotted Bear, Ryan Field, Seeley Lake, and Moose Creek. You can look up details if interested but these are all grass fields, except for Benchmark, and all the grass fields are a bit rough, except for Seeley Lake. Last summer we landed at many of the same fields, but added Schafer Meadows and Smiley Creek.

The good news is that the -10 performed great (no surprise) and suffered no damage from the many ruts, holes, and rocks (a bit of a surprise). So, it can be done. A couple more observations........when camping you load gear into and out of the airplane several times a day, and this is so much more work in a low wing airplane than a high wing. I really got tired of climbing up on that darn wing to get some small item. I also regret that although we flew through some of the most beautiful scenery in North America, I saw just part of it. That big wing performs well, but blocks the best views. So, I miss a couple of aspects of the old Cessna, but I'm not trading in the -10!

Another caution is that with high grass, bugs, mud, toothpaste, and dirty socks, you will not emerge from the wilderness with a clean airplane. This is not a trip for the fastidious, but really, who cares about grass stains and mud when this is the reward:

Most important thing is....just get out there. We did a 44 mile, four day hike in the Bob Marshall Wilderness, climbed two mountains that were each about 3500' above the trailhead, caught dozens of beautiful fish, and gave thanks for our wonderful system of public lands. We are all so fortunate to have these opportunities.

Last edited:
Incredible journey Andy.

Cannot wait to do the a similar trip. My family has two cabins in Yellowpine Idaho a few miles from Johnson's Creek.

E

Airplane interiors can always be replaced. Memories like this are irreplaceable. Congratulations are in order for exposing your family to the things in life that really count. No video games needed here - just look out the window for all the non-CGI scenery the brain can possibly absorb!

RV10 Back Country trip

44mi., in the Bob Marshall, lucky you didn't run into a Grizzly. Out now, like huckleberries, fish in streams.

Wheel pants are built close to Van's plans (1-1/2"?), but perhaps fractionally lower. Very little clearance on rough turf. Not optimal, but it worked out. They can take some abuse.

The sectional shows Ryan Field as Private. No designator, but Foreflight shows 2MT1, and call Recreation Aviation Foundation for permission. In your trip planning, did you use RAF? Helpful?

Ryan Field

Ryan is a very special place, and thanks to the generosity of Ben and Butchie Ryan, and the stewardship of the Recreational Aviation Foundation, it is open to all of us. You need to get a safety briefing beforehand. Visit the RAF website https://theraf.org/, click on Pilot Information, and Ryan Field.

There is a beautiful pilots shelter on the field, and it is within walking distance of West Glacier. There is also a courtesy car available for use by pilots.

The RAF is an all volunteer organization, and Ryan is maintained with volunteer labor (and donated dollars). We timed our visit to coincide with the annual work party. Wood was split, weeds were mowed, and picnic tables were refinished.

Perhaps the best part of Ryan are the people you will meet around the campfire. We count as close friends the wonderful folks we have shared time with there.

Anyone who enjoys exploring the backcountry with their airplane should consider supporting the RAF. Ryan and the other wonderful recreational airstrips didn't just fall from the sky. They represent the results of hard work by a dedicated group of volunteers. Join the team.

48209887091_a845ab0f03_z.jpg

Last edited:
Back