What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Wheels/Brakes Topic?

EJWash

I've combed over the forums here, but I haven't found discussions about aftermarket wheels and brake options. I'm mainly interested in hearing from those with actual experience with Beringer components. Yes, absolutely, they look cool. Although, the aesthetics in my case the cool-factor is gonna be covered up under wheel pants. So, from those with actual experience, Van's kit-provided -vs- Beringer - aesthetics aside - please, chime in. Thanks.

I've combed over the forums here, but I haven't found discussions about aftermarket wheels and brake options. I'm mainly interested in hearing from those with actual experience with Beringer components. Yes, absolutely, they look cool. Although, the aesthetics in my case the cool-factor is gonna be covered up under wheel pants. So, from those with actual experience, Van's kit-provided -vs- Beringer - aesthetics aside - please, chime in. Thanks.
There is a thread right now on Beringer, talke me in or out of them. Go read that.

Beringer is the best period. Beringer is the most expensive, very expensive. Too much for me to justify. Going with stock rims, brakes. The old saying you get what you oay for? OK fine but I need something round to roll on and something to stop me.

Will tire and brake wear be less with Beringer. I don't think so but let's say a tad better. Will it roll better? A tad may be? Will it brake faster? A tad and I have a tail dragger. You can't smash the brakes with reckless abandon. Besides if you need to do an emergency max effort stop you did something really wrong. Brake feel? It may be better and that would be one thing of interest to me if it had better feel and progressiveness. Tubeless tires, winner. However again the price premium is not worth it to me. Tubes are not that expensive.

How much better is Beringer in rolling and stopping? Not worth the primum price to me. As far as design and aesthetics which you said "aside" they are pretty. I have full wheel pants as most RV's do. You can't see them. RV's land so slow and are light weight so brakes have less demand. Would I love to have Beringer yes, but I I spent all my money on the kit, prop, engine and panel.

Bottom line Beringer does offer value in that there are clearly things that are superior to stock. You have to decide if it is worth it. If money no object order your kit sans brakes and rims and get Beringer. If you buy a built RV and want to upgrade wheel, tires and brakes, go for it. People do it for cars all the time and spend ridiculous amounts of money even though the stock rollers work fine. There are things about stock wheels and brakes I don't like, but nothing good maintenance will not prevent.

Last edited:
There is a thread right now on Beringer, talke me in or out of them. Go read that.

I performed a search, and could not find a thread on Beringer. NOW that you mentioned it, it magically appeared. ��

Thanks for the response.

I have a Decathlon, and I'm building my RV-14 as a taildragger. I know that aggressive braking can result in more than just brake pad wear.

I've read that Beringer's design features a "floating" disc and stationary calipers, as opposed to a stationary disc and floating calipers. This design may make sense in high-performance autos, but noticeable in light, 1500-2000lb aircraft?

Price? Along with aesthetics, let's put that aside too. Performance and comparison is what I'm after.

Last edited:
I would love to get the "B" wheels but the cost I was quoted at AV was crazy expensive. I think I will just color match the anodized and paint my wheels. They are covered with pants too so I can probably get away with it.

I am ready to change the main tires and since Im there, I will probably redo my right brake. I am sure my left brake still has the new stickers on. Other than doing the turn to my hangar I dont think I have ever used the left brake!

A friend did the rivet part of the brakes when I built my plane and Im looking for a you tube video or narrative on how to change the tire and redo the brakes. Anyone have one I can watch?

Curious

"...Beringer is the best period..."

I would be curious as to how you define "best"...

Not flame bait at all, just genuinely curious.

"...Beringer is the best period..."

I dont have them so I cant say they are better but I spun the wheels and looked at a mock up system at AV in Aircraft Specialties tent and they are real quality parts. I have an extra Saber prop extension and it is so well made, I have it on my office shelf.

If there were tests or the servicing was easier, maybe I could justify the cost. I can get a year of fuel for the cost of a complete system change out.
In the end I think it is like a paint job - you can get a nice paint job or an Evoke!

You are not that far from KTEW. Come on up and say hi sometime!

Still building. Went with the following

Nose Wheel: Beringer
Mains: Grove

I went with them on the nose wheel after reading all the posts about shimmy and upgrading to the anti-splat bearings mod. After adding up the base wheel and the mod I was pretty close to a Beringer nose wheel with sealed bearings.

When it came to the mains, the cost difference was A LOT. I also considered having a non-steerable nose wheel means a bit more brakes being used for steering. Grove has an -A model wheel and brake upgrade for nose wheel RV’s that has a higher kinetic energy ft/lb capacity. The upgraded Groves were more $$$ but less than Beringer.

I can’t find the kinetic energy ft/lb capacity of the Beringer’s anywhere.

Money

Seems like the choice comes down to money.
If you can swing it, pull out items you may or don't want like the Antilock valve and two reservoirs. Save a little.
If money is an issue, no choice.
I got lucky and bought early when they released a kit. Plus they offered a discount for EAA Chapter members.
Compared to prices today, I paid about half.

9 lbs is a lot of weight savings too! Math per pound is hard to budget.

All in all, I really like them, but I couldn't do it at today's price.
I just wrote the check for my electronics. Now that hurts. :D

9 lbs is a lot of weight savings too! Math per pound is hard to budget.
Thanks. I'm build a 14 (tailwheel) so not sure the weight savings minus the nosewheel/add the tailwheel.

So far, no input other than aesthetics. I do like the idea of tubeless just so I'm not wrestling a tube valve stem.

It’s interesting that Vans have chosen Beringer for the RV-15.

I would love to know why, and if beringer are coming as standard with the RV-15 kit.

Thanks. I'm build a 14 (tailwheel) so not sure the weight savings minus the nosewheel/add the tailwheel.

So far, no input other than aesthetics. I do like the idea of tubeless just so I'm not wrestling a tube valve stem.

I heard the weight savings is in the order of 3 pounds per wheel, so you would be saving 6 pounds over a regular wheeled -14.

Maybe they need to ship “standard” wheels in kits to paying customers? Revenue shipments outrank engineering articles at my day job for sure….

I'd be interested in that answer as well.

BTW, I see that you went with Matco Mfg. Did you go with 5", or 6"? If 6", will the kit-provided wheel pants fit?

Last edited:
Beringer brake pads for RV-10's.

For those using Beringer brakes on a RV-10 or 6-inch wheels this seller is offering them at more than 35% discount to ACS pricing and no tax and free freight. Check the part numbers early 10 Beringer brakes used a slightly smaller pad. (Same as the one on 5-inch wheels) Limited supply.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/225582408447

Back