What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

DIPLEXER OR COMBINER

RV-4

Well Known Member
Hello Gents

With my future # 2 COM/NAV/GPS installation I will require to share one Nav/ILS antenna with two radio ( GNS 480/SL-30 ) and I was wondering what exactly do I need to share one antenna with two radios??

Do I need a Diplexer with two VOR/ GS connection or do I need what is called a Combiner ( Looks the same to me ) to be able to do that??

Your help is appreciated.

Thanks

Bruno
[email protected]

A ‘diplexer’ sends most of the GS signal to one output, and most of the LOC/VOR signal to the other. A ‘combiner’ or ‘splitter’ simply sends half of everything to each output. So from the antenna you want one splitter - send half of everything to each radio. The SL30 has a built-in diplexer, so just connect the coax from the splitter directly to the nav input. I’m not familiar with the 480. If it has only one nav connection, it also must have an internal diplexer, so just connect the second coax from the antenna splitter to the 480 nav input. OTOH if the 480 has a VOR/LOC antenna input, and a GS antenna input, then the coax goes to a diplexer, and the GS output goes to the GS coax input, and the LOC output goes to the 480 LOC input.

Hi Bob

Thank you for the explanation, I will have to look into that.

The 480 ( haven't check yet ) probably has the same fonction as the SL-30 as they were produced by Apollo at the same time hopefully.

Cheers

Bruno

The 480 has a built in diplexer. I have one coax between my VOR/ILS Archer antenna and the 480, and the 480 picks up the glideslope from the line without another antenna line.

dIPLEXER

Hi John

Yes, you're right, I just checked with an Avionic Shop and they confirm as I thought that the 480 has a Built-In Diplexer like the SL-30 so it will simplify the installation.

Thank you for your feeddbacks Gentlemen, it is appreciated.

Bruno

Back