- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 02-11-2021, 06:29 PM

Default Io 540 plenum

Looking for a Plenum for my RV 10 io540 not a Sam James plenum possibly one that was built for the stock cowling or if somebody has a mold and is willing to rent or produce a plenum for me also I remember seeing somebody from South Africa producing these plenums but I have been unable to find that source
Old 02-12-2021, 12:15 AM

Youre likely looking for http://rvbits.mybigcommerce.com/cate.../Engine-Parts/

However Jan stopped advertising his carbon fiber plenum due to the high cost of shipping. If you email him at his contact on the site, Im pretty sure hell still make a plenum for you if youre up to the shipping cost.

- RV10, N762G, Build in progress.
- Several others that are now just great memories for me.
Old 02-12-2021, 09:28 AM

Why not just make the plenum. Its not hard at all and would be a great learning tool in fiberglass.. You can find lots on help and guidance online too..

RV7 N612RA, flying since july 2012
E-170/175

RV10 Tail Kit complete, Wings 98%, Working on Fuselage, AEIO-540 on the stand
Acro Sport 2, building
Old 02-12-2021, 06:07 PM

Smile

Id be curious to know what the advantage is if any to a plenum vs standard cowling rubber? Could there be a less drag/ speed advantage? I have standard with no cooling issues but would always be interested in less drag/ more speed
Old 02-12-2021, 06:35 PM

Default Plenum

I have no issues with cooling speed extra speed would be nice but my main goal is to take the load off of the cowling my Engine cowling halfs used piano hinges to keep them together and I can see how theyre being affected by the pressure within the cowling
Old 02-12-2021, 08:15 PM

How are the cowling hinges being affected by the pressure within the cowling? There are 10's of thousands of airplanes with piano hinges holding the cowl together.

Heck, I have a plennum and the whole top lid is held on with piano hinges.
WARNING! Incorrect design and/or fabrication of aircraft and/or components may result in injury or death. Information presented in this post is based on my own experience - Reader has sole responsibility for determining accuracy or suitability for use.

Michael Robinson
1984 L39C
Old 02-12-2021, 11:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvdave View Post
Id be curious to know what the advantage is if any to a plenum vs standard cowling rubber? Could there be a less drag/ speed advantage? I have standard with no cooling issues but would always be interested in less drag/ more speed

Personally, the plenum allowed me to control the air over the cylinders. My #6 was always hotter than the rest, by putting deflectors and other attached to the plenum I was able to move it off of #4, cooler than most, and get the temps down on 6 now its all within 10f. Not something I could do with baffling and the top cowling. There are, of course numerous ways to resolve the same issue using baffles but not nearly as controlled as a plenum.
As for the easy way to do it yourself? Use the top cowling as a mold, put about 3-4 ply over it and you have the start of a plenum now you need to create a nice way to attach it. Instead of rubber use a thin L bracket - match drill and you have a nice plenum without shipping costs.
Best of success!
Old 02-13-2021, 05:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvdave View Post
Read this study http://www.sonex604.com/misc/NASA_CR3405.pdf
RV4 - FAST & FUN! Rebuilt, Flown, Sold
RV-7A Built, Flown, Sold
Old 02-13-2021, 10:45 AM

A plenum does not need to be complicated.

I used the "stock" baffle sides as a basis for my plenum and simply added a flat wrap "lid" made of .016 2024. As mentioned, held in place by piano hinge on all sides. Takes 30 seconds to remove and 2 minutes to install (no tools).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Plennum.jpg
Views:	362
Size:	135.6 KB
ID:	8324  
WARNING! Incorrect design and/or fabrication of aircraft and/or components may result in injury or death. Information presented in this post is based on my own experience - Reader has sole responsibility for determining accuracy or suitability for use.

Michael Robinson
1984 L39C

Last edited by Toobuilder : 02-13-2021 at 10:49 AM.
Old 02-13-2021, 11:10 AM

Mike, are those Rutan Boomerang style inlet?

As others have noted, a plenum is just a lid. Details like attachment are important, but there a lots of ways to do it. The most critical factor is probably the inlet and ducting into the plenum, in particular as the inlet velocity ratio moves closer to freestream velocity.