Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-12/RV-12iS
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-11-2021, 10:40 AM

Default Ducati VR 'Upgrade' question...

When I built my -12 back in 2016/2017, the KAI had just been modified and had me install my Ducati VR in the cabin (under avionics shelf on passenger side). So that is exactly what I did. In my 3+ years (205 hours) of flying, I have had no problems. As a preventive maintenance measure, I would like to replace it soon with the new B&C AVC1 VR per Van's recent Service Letter 00034.

I really don't want to cut my upper cowl and install the NACA scoop. I guess my questions is....has anyone installed the Silent Hektik or the new B&C VR inside the cabin?? Since the Ducati VR has been fine there, I hate to move it forward of the firewall unless there are compelling reasons? If Van's no longer supports that location, I guess I will have to move it and cut my upper cowl.

Van's announced an 'upgrade' kit if you want to replace your Ducati VR, Part# 12 REGULATOR KIT-1, but it assumes you will be installing the NACA scoop and mounting the new VR up on the firewall. I don't know if that kit would allow me to install it in the cabin, where my original Ducati is. Not sure if I would need additional cabling, etc. If anyone has installed a new VR in the cabin, or has any comments in general on this issue, I would really appreciate it. Maybe Scott or Greg will chime in. Thanks!!
Old 02-11-2021, 11:43 AM

After looking at the SL 00034, it looks like there are still problems with the Ducati regulator. As I did not like the initial location at the firewall that resulted in multiple instances of failures (my RV-12 included) at around 100 hours I decided to relocate my VR inside the cooling tunnel of the lower cowl rather than inside the cockpit as recommended by VANs. This process is described there:
https://vansairforce.net/community/s...272#post969272

I have the feeling that the relocation process I used is easier to do, does not affect the upper cowl and does not require to buy a new regulator. I have since doing this modification added 300 hours on my Hobbs without any problem with my Ducati VR.

Builder's name: Jean-Pierre Bernoux
Sport Pilot
Kit # 120395 N124BX
Flying as of 9/11/2013

Builder's Blog:http://vieilleburette.blogspot.com/
EAA 1114
Old 02-11-2021, 03:55 PM

No matter the make or model or mounting location, the secret to long voltage
regulator life is to keep it cool. Be sure to use heat conductive paste between
metal parts of the regulator and the mounting surface. Forced air cooling helps too.
I replaced the Ducatti with a AM101406 regulator from eBay. It sells for as little
as $18 with free shipping. It has lasted 4 years so far. My regulator is in the
original 2010 location on the firewall shelf. I also installed an air blast tube
connected to the water radiator air duct.
Old 02-11-2021, 04:30 PM

Joe -

I rec'd a PM today asking for help with wiring diagram for the JD VR. I did a VAF RV-12 search for old thread and came up empty. Also having trouble locating my notes and photos from when I did install four years ago.

Do you have information to share?

Thanks, Jim
EAA #499867
PPL/ASEL 1970 - Sport Pilot since 2007
80 hrs Flying Aeronca Chief 11AC N86203
1130 hrs Flying 46 Piper J-3 Cub N6841H
Bought Flying RV-12 #120058 Oct 2015 with 48TT - Hobbs now 633

LSRM-A Certificate 2016 for RV-12 N633CM
Special Thanks... EJ Trucks - USN Crew Chief A-4 Skyhawk
MJ Stricker (Father & CFI) - USAAF 1st Lt. Captain B-17H
Old 02-11-2021, 05:13 PM

Search eBay for AM101406.
Connect large yellow wires from alternator to pins labeled "AC".
"B+" is output to aircraft main power bus.
L (Lamp) is not connected.
"IGW" connects to small yellow control wire.
Make sure that master switch is off while connecting wires.

Last edited by Mich48041 : 02-11-2021 at 05:16 PM.
Old 02-11-2021, 07:28 PM

Default VR

When I bought my RV-12 the Ducati VR was mounted on the shelf in the engine compartment behind the radiator. It was getting the wind stream and heat from the radiator.

I installed a Silent Hetik that I bought from a motor cycle shop in England. I didn't want to damage the paint on my cowling by installing a NACA vent, so I copied someone who had posted pictures on this site. I installed a blast tube that gets its air from the tunnel on the pilot's side of the cowling that supplies air to the radiator. It has been installed for a couple of years now and works fine. I am attaching some pictures. Again, this was not my idea. I got it on this forum.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4614.jpeg
Views:	34
Size:	106.5 KB
ID:	8242  Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4607.jpeg
Views:	23
Size:	130.9 KB
ID:	8243  Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4606.jpeg
Views:	26
Size:	66.6 KB
ID:	8244  Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4605.jpeg
Views:	19
Size:	113.3 KB
ID:	8245  
Just passed 300 hours flight time in RV-12, and 10,000 hours mostly in corporate jets. I am a CFI; CFII; MEI; and a Advanced Ground Instructor, CFIG; and hoping to be able to help new RV-12 owners by doing some transition training for new builders and owners in RV-12's.

Last edited by pilotyoung : 02-11-2021 at 07:32 PM.
Old 02-12-2021, 08:19 AM

I had a firewall mounted Ducotti VR fail at 180 hours, I relocated it into the cockpit, but I put it on the firewall LH side just above rudder pedals. Its easy to get to for replacement, I put a couple of washers behind it to keep firewall heat transfer down. It has been working fine so far for 200 hours, I carry a spare just in case in a small tool bag. I used a Laser thermometer to see what the op temperature is during summer and its about 140F...heat seems to be the enemy so I'd say keep it in cockpit.
Old 02-14-2021, 12:34 PM

Thanks to all for the comments and suggestions. Has anyone out there installed the Silent Hektik or new B&C AVC1 inside the cabin (attached to bottom of avionics shelf on passenger side)? This is where my original Ducati VR is still installed and I would like to keep it there but upgrade to the B&C if that makes sense and is physically possible. Thanks again.
Old 02-14-2021, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pstraub View Post
Thanks to all for the comments and suggestions. Has anyone out there installed the Silent Hektik or new B&C AVC1 inside the cabin (attached to bottom of avionics shelf on passenger side)? This is where my original Ducati VR is still installed and I would like to keep it there but upgrade to the B&C if that makes sense and is physically possible. Thanks again.
I have the Silent Hektik regulator mounted below the avionics shelf and itís been fine for 60 hours since installation. I changed from the Ducati prior to any failure just as a precaution. I do run with all lighting on at all times and have a dual G3X touch, autopilot, GDL50R ADS-B IN, GPS20A and an iPad running from the Aux socket so close to maximum electrical load. The SH regulator hardly gets more than warm to the touch - definitely not hot.
http://harrysrv.blogspot.co.uk
Old 02-14-2021, 02:05 PM
Senior Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piper J3 View Post
I did a VAF RV-12 search for old thread and came up empty. Also having trouble locating my notes and photos from when I did install four years ago.
This one maybe? https://vansairforce.net/community/s...t=tomkk&page=6

Rv-10, N210LM.

Flying as of 12/4/2010

Phase 1 done, 2/4/2011

Sold after 240+ wonderful hours of flight.

"Flying the airplane is more important than radioing your plight to a person on the ground incapable of understanding or doing anything about it."