Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-12/RV-12iS
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-08-2021, 06:06 AM

Default Why not separate Model Specific for 12 and 12iS

It seems these two models each deserve their own categories. While these two models are similar in many ways they are also different when it comes to issues.
Old 02-08-2021, 06:21 AM

This was proposed early-on and VAF decided to keep all things 12 in one forum. More in common than dissimilar…
EAA #499867
PPL/ASEL 1970 - Sport Pilot since 2007
80 hrs Flying Aeronca Chief 11AC N86203
1130 hrs Flying 46 Piper J-3 Cub N6841H
Bought Flying RV-12 #120058 Oct 2015 with 48TT - Hobbs now 633

LSRM-A Certificate 2016 for RV-12 N633CM
Special Thanks... EJ Trucks - USN Crew Chief A-4 Skyhawk
MJ Stricker (Father & CFI) - USAAF 1st Lt. Captain B-17H
Old 02-08-2021, 07:04 AM

I'm relatively new to researching my build options. It is disappointing when I read about an issue and begin leaning toward the Zenith 750 Cruzer only to find out the issue pertains to the -12 specifically and not the -12iS.
Old 02-08-2021, 09:47 AM

Much of this potential confusion would disappear if the OPers would clearly identify the model (e.g., -ULS versus -iS, Dynon versus Garmin, etc.) of RV-12 they are referring to. Either put this information in the OP or the OPer's signature.
EAA #23982 (circa 1965) - EAA Technical Counselor and Flight Advisor; CFI - A&I
RV-12 E-LSA #120496 (SV w/ AP and ADS-B 2020) - N124DH flying since March 2014 - 1,000+ hours (as of Feb 2021)!
VAF donation through June 2021.

Last edited by DHeal : 02-08-2021 at 09:11 PM.
Old 02-08-2021, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHeal View Post
Much of this potential confusion would disappear if the OPers would clearly identify the model (e.g., -12 versus -iS, Dynon versus Garmin, etc.) of RV-12 they are referring to. Either put this information in the OP or the OPer's signature.
Amen, David. I can’t believe OPs have to be told that- but they do.
Old 02-08-2021, 08:43 PM

Default Separate RV-12 from RV-12iS

The fact is that most forget to note the model, as we are not thinking about a model but what we have, so the confusion will continue.

I would prefer we separated, I know the Admins don't want to, but what is the downside? Is it a lot of work?

And since the search capabilities of this Forum Software are pretty basic, separating should help.
Dual Garmin G3X Touch + AP
Completed May, 2020
N123RR
South Florida
Old 02-08-2021, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by escalantea View Post
What is the downside?
Because the two models have so much in common, I think the downside to having two separate forums is that most RV-12 and RV-12iS owners and builders will end up reviewing both forums anyway.

For example, if there's a problem with the wings, empenage, fuselage, canopy, etc. on an RV-12 and you're building an RV-12iS, wouldn't you be interested in knowing about it? Likewise, if you're building a -12iS and have a problem with a part that is common to both models, wouldn't you like to know how an RV-12 builder resolved the issue?

I think what most guys will probably do is post the same question in both forums, which means there will be a lot of duplicate posts to wade through.

VAF donation made for 2020
Old 02-09-2021, 07:37 AM

Default Why not separate Model Specific for 12 and 12iS

Quote:
Originally Posted by rv9builder View Post
Because the two models have so much in common, I think the downside to having two separate forums is that most RV-12 and RV-12iS owners and builders will end up reviewing both forums anyway.

For example, if there's a problem with the wings, empenage, fuselage, canopy, etc. on an RV-12 and you're building an RV-12iS, wouldn't you be interested in knowing about it? Likewise, if you're building a -12iS and have a problem with a part that is common to both models, wouldn't you like to know how an RV-12 builder resolved the issue?

I think what most guys will probably do is post the same question in both forums, which means there will be a lot of duplicate posts to wade through.
So what is wrong with that? I did an 12iS but constantly checked all other forums, like RV-12 and RV-14, for ideas and suggestions.
Dual Garmin G3X Touch + AP
Completed May, 2020
N123RR
South Florida
Old 02-09-2021, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by escalantea View Post
So what is wrong with that? I did an 12iS but constantly checked all other forums, like RV-12 and RV-14, for ideas and suggestions.
Speaking as someone who moderates another forum, multiple posts on the same subject by the same person in different forums are a royal pain in the you-know-what for both the original poster and those who reply. It's definitely something to avoid if possible. Much like sentences as long as my first one.
Old 02-09-2021, 09:49 AM

My opinion,dont separate them, too much in common so I really like the way it is now..
N337JG