What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Avstar Fuel Injection Fuel Outlet

PhatRV

Well Known Member
I am in the process of installing the firewall forward of my RV8 build. This IO360-M1B engine comes with the Avstar fuel injection servo. From the picture, the fuel outlet from the Avstar is at the bottom instead of the common position on the top of the fuel servo as in another brand. Do you guys know of an alternative fuel outlet on the top of this fuel servo housing? Also for those who have installed this version of the M1B engine, is there an issue with fitting the cowling with the bottom mounted fuel outlet?

Thanks

Attachments

• 20210131_103653s.jpg
    20210131_103653s.jpg
    175.4 KB · Views: 197
My Avstar came from Aerosport Power with a 90* elbow fuel line fitting on the top for feeding the spider, as shown in the attached photo. I have an IO-360 Superior Cold Air Sump. My mixture linkage looks different from yours.

Attachments

• IMG_0394.jpg
    IMG_0394.jpg
    355.5 KB · Views: 159
  • FI Mixture Arm.jpg
    FI Mixture Arm.jpg
    282.5 KB · Views: 146
Thanks for the reply. It is good to know there is a possibility to reconfigure the fuel output on the Avstar. I will give the company a call this week.

Regarding the mixture control arm, it is setup to clock at a different angle based on your mixture control arm. For the Vans firewall forward kit, it is clocked upward for Vans contraption as in the picture below.

Attachments

• 20210131_103639d.jpg
    20210131_103639d.jpg
    172.6 KB · Views: 172
AVStar fuel outlet

I'm plumbing my IO-360-M1B w/ the AVStar servo at the moment as well. I ordered the engine from Vans and it arrived last summer with the 90 deg fuel outlet on the bottom like yours. Never thought about the lower cowl clearance until reading this. Please let us know if you figure out how to relocate it to the top side.

I have the IO-360-M1B and previously inquired with Avstar about the port. They sent me the attached drawing that shows the optional fuel out location. I moved my outlet to the top for a variety of reasons, I can't remember how much clearance there was with the cowl with the underside fitting.

Attachments

• AVX 3015002-1.jpg
    AVX 3015002-1.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 157
Last edited:
I talked with Avstar today. You can swap the 90deg fuel outlet from the bottom to the top of the Avstar fuel injection servo, and move the plug from the top to close the bottom opening. Avstar said to make sure the correct port is opened, shine a light through the top port and you should see it from below where the 90deg outlet was located.

I have the same engine and Avstar injection unit. My outlet is a 90 degree fitting on the bottom. I had no cowl interference issues.

Same here with my -7, about 1 inch clearance from bottom of cowling using lower 90° port.

Hello

I've got a brand new AvStar Fuel servo few weeks ago. Here is the answer from AvStar engineering team :

"Those two locations can be swapped with no issues. If the plug is moved it will require changing some safety wire as well. Functionally those two ports are interchangeable."

v61KYDmSxJtcvXnB7

https://photos.app.goo.gl/Ygw6cMk1UH55rxpp8

https://photos.app.goo.gl/KfM5TaAHDLxxfN1VA

Torque the plug both the same, 45 to 50 in lbs.

The NUT is component to torque after the elbow is installed and positioned, do not apply that torque to the 90 degree elbow (the elbow can be held by a wrench to maintain position when applying torque to the nut however).

Enjoy

Antoine

Last edited:
I just swapped the ports today. One thing I noticed while fitting the exhaust is that the long fuel hose supplied by Lycoming that connects the spider valve to the outlet port interferes with the heat muff assembly that is mounted to the #1 exhaust. By moving the outlet fuel port to the top of the fuel servo, it frees up a lot of space. The downside is I have to order a shorter fuel hose to avoid dangling the hose too close to the exhaust stack.

While your down in that area, think about the starter cable routing. Mine is supported off of the oil pan bolts near the FI top fuel port.

Back