-Advertise in here!
- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 01-28-2021, 07:28 PM

I was bored waiting for parts and got interested in this. I went to the Vans website first flight reports for RV8ís and looked at roughly 45 reports from Jan 2019 to October 2020. Of those 17 reported build times. The minimum was 2 years the maximum 21. The average was just under 10 years. Interestingly serial number 32 flew for the first time in September 2019.
Old 02-01-2021, 11:25 AM

The Synergy Air owner said in one of the EAA webinars that a RV8 can be built at his build center from start to taxi in about 4 weeks. This is the kind build speed if you are avail with experienced helpers who have built quite a few RVs before. So if you have money upfront and want to fly a new and almost professional built RV8, give this outfit a call. (Sorry, doesn't mean to be an ad).
Avionics Installation -- 90%
Firewall Forward -- Engine hung
Electrical -- 90%

Donation paid through 2021
Old 02-01-2021, 11:54 AM

Default Build time

I know my build time is on the high side but it may be of some value since I document and log everything. Check my blog.
I'm retired. I had a dream I could work full time and finish in years. Clearly I missed, but the end is in sight. Life just has a way of getting in there. You have family. Cars and house repairs need to be done. I also worked Summers to make extra airplane build money.
Working the last 90%. FWF to the finish line!
wirejock at yahoo dot com
Donated 01/01/2021, plus a little extra.
RV-7A #73391, N511RV reserved (2,000+ hours)
HS SB, empennage, tanks, wings, fuse, working finishing kit
Disclaimer
I cannot be, nor will I be, held responsible if you try to do the same things I do and it does not work and/or causes you loss, injury, or even death in the process.
Old 02-03-2021, 07:28 AM

Default Time to build

QB =1,000 hours
Standard kit =2,000
I have built 18 or more RV8 s
Jay Pratt VAF #2
RV Central - Builder Assistance
Paul Revere, Borrowed Horse, & Shooter
Old 02-03-2021, 05:49 PM

Cool RV-8 in 4 weeks ?

I built my RV-8 at Synergy Air in Eugene and it took me 3 years from start to DAR signoff.

Most builders I know from there, have built their plane in the 2-3 year time frame. This is to complete the plane to include painting.

I did this flying a full airline schedule and using all my vacation time and working three weeks on and two off building in Eugene. I would fly out and work for two weeks at a time (80-100hrs). After two weeks I would be burned out and go back to flying for a few weeks. Then start over again.

I wasn't there, but I find it very hard to believe you could build a RV-8 in 4 weeks. I know Glassair has a program like that. So it could be possible.
Old 02-03-2021, 08:29 PM

I suppose 4 weeks is possible, but it would take a lot of support and decisions made in the interest of time.
-multiple repeat offender
-order everything well in advance, so nothing is backordered
-no interior priming
-quick build
-a very knowledgeable assistant, basically holding the next tool that you'll need
-basic, and to the plans. modifications take a lot of time.
-12+ hours per day

Even then, I don't know. 12hr days for 28 days is still only 336 hours, times 2 for the assistant and 672 hours.

The amount of time I "waste" triple and quadruple checking something definitely adds up. Then again, so do the mistakes when I only double check and have to order a new part.
Fuselage started
Dash 8 day job is financing the RV-8
Donation till September 2021
Old 02-04-2021, 07:28 AM

Default Similar results

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyingbeard View Post
I built my RV-8 at Synergy Air in Eugene and it took me 3 years from start to DAR signoff.

Most builders I know from there, have built their plane in the 2-3 year time frame. This is to complete the plane to include painting.

I did this flying a full airline schedule and using all my vacation time and working three weeks on and two off building in Eugene. I would fly out and work for two weeks at a time (80-100hrs). After two weeks I would be burned out and go back to flying for a few weeks. Then start over again.

I wasn't there, but I find it very hard to believe you could build a RV-8 in 4 weeks. I know Glassair has a program like that. So it could be possible.
Spent the same two weeks on, two weeks off for about 18 months total at Synergy Eugene completing a partially built RV-7A. I’d be curious to see this webinar as I know Vaden pretty well and doubt he would claim anything close to 4 weeks to build an RV-8. 14 weeks - maybe - but I’d guess more like 24 weeks.

Locust Grove, GA
DA20-A1 "Princess Amelia" - gone home to Amelia Island
RV-7A Phase 2 (Honored to be Van's "Miss July" 2021)
RV-10 under construction at Synergy Air South

Last edited by KatanaPilot : 02-04-2021 at 07:29 AM. Reason: Added text
Old 02-04-2021, 09:23 AM

So far I think I've spent at least 2,000 hours looking for the 6" scale or cleco pliers I had in my hand 30 seconds ago...
Fuselage in process
https://eaabuilderslog.org/?blprojec...t=all&listcat=
Old 02-04-2021, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert Rat View Post
So far I think I've spent at least 2,000 hours looking for the 6" scale or cleco pliers I had in my hand 30 seconds ago...
Ain't that the truth!
Old 02-04-2021, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert Rat View Post
That has NEVER happened to me!.................Well today!...............Well within the last hour!
USAF Vet, High School E-LSA Project Mentor.
RV-6 Flying since 1993 (sold)
<rvmel(at)icloud.com>
Closed Thread