-Advertise in here!
- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 09-09-2020, 06:21 AM

Might want to factor in risk of MOSAIC as well. If sport pilots are able to fly more capable planes in a few years it could reduce the value of "legacy" LSAs. If, could, might... I accepted this risk and decided to start building. Carpe Diem!

Cue the "it's the government" comments now.

From bydanjohnson.com:
"FAA generally agreed with our back-calendar estimate that the NPRM may be forthcoming in late 2021 or early 2022. This was based on the perceived amount of work remaining.

The NPRM must be released about that time to allow FAA to have a finished regulation by the end of 2023. The 2023 date is a deadline set by the U.S. Congress as part of approving FAA’s budget — called the FAA Reauthorization Act of 2018."
RV-12iS Empennage, Fuse, & Finish Kits #121228
N781PT Reserved
Donated 2020 (twice)

Last edited by BobbyLucas : 09-09-2020 at 08:31 AM.
Old 09-09-2020, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyLucas View Post
Queue the "it's the government" comments now.
I had to laugh, I read this as "Cue the Government" which I think everybody agrees needs to be done...
EAA #499867
PPL/ASEL 1970 - Sport Pilot since 2007
80 hrs Flying Aeronca Chief 11AC N86203
1130 hrs Flying 46 Piper J-3 Cub N6841H
Bought Flying RV-12 #120058 Oct 2015 with 48TT - Hobbs now 633

LSRM-A Certificate 2016 for RV-12 N633CM
Special Thanks... EJ Trucks - USN Crew Chief A-4 Skyhawk
MJ Stricker (Father & CFI) - USAAF 1st Lt. Captain B-17H
Old 09-09-2020, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piper J3 View Post
I had to laugh, I read this as "Cue the Government" which I think everybody agrees needs to be done...
I won't touch the politics bait with a ten foot pole, even if I agree,

Thanks for the cue to check my grammar though.
N781PT Reserved
Donated 2020 (twice)
Old 09-11-2020, 10:15 PM

Just read that FAA calls the LSA revision plan a 2023 project. Even by their own plan changes arenít exactly going to drop soon. Iím guessing any meaningful change to LSA rules wonít happen before 2025 at the earliest.
Old 09-12-2020, 06:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RFSchaller View Post
Just read that FAA calls the LSA revision plan a 2023 project. Even by their own plan changes arenít exactly going to drop soon. Iím guessing any meaningful change to LSA rules wonít happen before 2025 at the earliest.
The deadline has always been 2023. I'll repost my previous quote here:

"The NPRM must be released [in late 2021 or early 2022] to allow FAA to have a finished regulation by the end of 2023. The 2023 date is a deadline set by the U.S. Congress as part of approving FAAís budget ó called the FAA Reauthorization Act of 2018."

I understand that people are skeptical of the government, but I believe it is unfounded in this case. The FAA has stated over and over that it is committed to MOSAIC, congress has mandated it and tied the FAA budget to it, and industry advocates working directly with the FAA on the reg updates, such as LAMA, have voiced nothing but confidence in the progress to date.

Could the FAA ask congress for an extension? I suppose, but no one actually involved in the process has even hinted that the deadline is in any sort of jeopardy. We keyboard cynics and curmudgeons certainly do not have more information than them.
N781PT Reserved
Donated 2020 (twice)
Old 09-13-2020, 10:40 PM

Bobby,

Charlie Brown always thought Lacy would hold the football. How did that work out?😝

But Iíd be happy to have the bureaucrats pleasantly surprise me for once.

Rich
Old 10-04-2020, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jcy482 View Post
Interesting! I would think if I were buying a finished plane I would not want to have to paint it. That said, I like the idea! Definitely some encouraging responses here. No one has laughed at the idea and said get your check book out!
There are new materials out, some folks talk about "wrapping" their plane instead of putting paint on it. Perhaps a better value? Removable too, if you get sick of the scheme, or want to sell it.
RV-12, #212 N72DJ, bought flying. A Blessing in disguise. Thank you Double D!
Old 02-04-2021, 04:30 PM

I was just browsing For Sale ads on the internet and there are multiple RV12s that don't support the theory that you can recoup most to all of your money. Is this normal, are these planes lower quality or is it just a great market for the guy who wants a used RV12? There is one for about $45k!

Last edited by rv7boy : 02-06-2021 at 01:55 AM. Reason: The lunch truck again...
Old 02-04-2021, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jcy482 View Post
I was just browsing For Sale ads on the internet and there are multiple RV12s that don't support the theory that you can recoup most to all of your money. Is this normal, are these planes lower quality or is it just a great market for the guy who wants a used RV12? There is one for about $45k!
Only 96 hours in 10 years and sitting in Florida. That thing will be a corrosion nightmare.
RV-12 Flying

Last edited by rv7boy : 02-06-2021 at 01:56 AM. Reason: The lunch truck again...
Old 02-04-2021, 07:29 PM

There are airplanes that pop up from time to time priced well under what youíd think the market price is. I paid substantially less for mine than what others were selling for, because it had a number of issues that needed fixing. I knew it would be something of a project when I bought it, and I think I paid a fair price for it. If you look at all of the RV-12s listed, youíll see that the one in Kissimmee is an outlier by a pretty wide margin. Having not seen the airplane I wonít speculate on why, but Iím sure there are reasons.

Omaha, NE
RV-12 # 222 N980KM "Screamin' Canary" (bought flying)
Fisher Celebrity (under construction)
Previous RV-7 project (sold)