What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Elevator travel

awmuhs

Well Known Member
I believe that the plans call for an elevator up angle of 30 degrees and a down angle of 25.

I have 25 down. But the elevator horns hit the stop at 29 drgrees up. I am using what I believe to be an accurate electronic level.

With the discussion I have seen on a 10 having forward CG with a single pilot and running out of trim at slow speeds I am wondering if I should be concerned.

Anyone have a similar experience?

Allowable deviations

Hi,

I had the same issue and cross referenced with Vans.

I had 29.5 up and 24 down. When I quizzed Vans they stipulated that this was the max recommended throws. So at 29 you should be fine.

I believe from other discussions the minimums are 25 and 20. So well within tolerance.

The mins and maxes are specified in the small "other" manual that Vans provided with the kit. I'm not home, so unable to give you the exact numbers.

I have just done his. The required throws are 20-25 down and 25-30 up as specified in the "Flight Test" section of the manual. If you are concerned, you are permitted to file the stops to get the throws you require.

Running out of trim is not the same thing as running out of UP elevator.........

Does anyone happen to have a copy of the RV-10 Test Flight section from the manual that shows the acceptable elevator range of 20-25 down and 25-30 up? I searched the electronic and paper manual to no avail.

I am concerned my DAR will have concerns that my elevator travel is 24 degrees down and 29.5 degrees up (limited due to Tosten stick grip).

I am concerned my DAR will have concerns that my elevator travel is 24 degrees down and 29.5 degrees up (limited due to Tosten stick grip).

As well he should. Controls should always go stop to stop. If your grip is hitting the panel that needs to be fixed.
Back to the OP: I can trim for any configuration at 65 kias or more, but in the flare, at forward cg, full flaps, it cannot be completely trimmed, and it’s a pretty good pull to get the stick full aft, and while the pitch attitude is adequate, I personally wish it was a bit nose-higher. OTOH if it was trimable in the flare, a go around would likely need a lot of forward stick pressure, so I think it’s a good compromise. In theory I could approach with less nose up trim, and trade an even higher stick force for a slightly increased elevator force; I haven’t tested this.

Does anyone happen to have a copy of the RV-10 Test Flight section from the manual that shows the acceptable elevator range of 20-25 down and 25-30 up? I searched the electronic and paper manual to no avail.

Here's a screen shot of that section. If I remember right, it was part of the finish kit instructions????

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-01-01 at 7.26.18 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-01-01 at 7.26.18 AM.png
    131.4 KB · Views: 372
Tosten Grip Clearance

FYI, Tosten Is starting to make a grip installation bushing that angles the stick back towards the pilot a bit to help with the clearance at the panel. It’s not up on the website yet but you might contact Kevin to see if they are available.

Cheers

Mark Easton

FYI, Tosten Is starting to make a grip installation bushing that angles the stick back towards the pilot a bit to help with the clearance at the panel. It’s not up on the website yet but you might contact Kevin to see if they are available.

Cheers

Mark Easton

Mark, good to know thanks. I was lucky enough to pick up a pair from Leo but it still isn't enough gap from the panel. So it looks like I'll be putting a small bend in my sticks (sand filled, capped off, hydraulic press).

Grips

+1 for Kevin over at Tosten...

I used Honeywell TL switches in my CF panel, so they protrude farther than most. Using the angled bushings, I was able to get 20 degrees down and 27 degrees up without hitting any switches...barely...

Also, make certain that at full up elevator, it is actually contacting the up stop and NOT something else...like the seat base...

Bending Sticks

The factory demonstrator grip hits the panel which is the standard depth. As stated before the elevator up travel is what matters most on the RV-10. Make sure you have a full throw. Also, remember to add weight in the baggage compartment if flying solo, two lightweights in the front (or even with a lightweight passenger in the back if the tanks are full). The factory control sticks have not been changed (even though there is panel interference) because of the greater concern which is the aft travel of the stick. Aim for the minimum elevator down travel of 20 deg as stated in Chapter 15 of the manual. You may believe that a larger pilot may be the worst-case scenario here but a small pilot with the seat in the full forward position may be the critical position to check. For any RV keep the stick full height, IE do not shorten the stick to remove interference with the panel or engine controls.

Last edited:

On the thumb drive it's in the file: 'RV-10 Manual - Main.pdf"

Is the grip contacting the panel, knob, or any other item during the complete range of movement? If so, then there is reason for concern. I asked because you said “limited due to the Tosten stick grip”
I did have to bend my sticks a bit aft to avoid any contact (Infinity grip). The system control stops should be the only motion limiting device.

Is the grip contacting the panel, knob, or any other item during the complete range of movement? If so, then there is reason for concern. I asked because you said “limited due to the Tosten stick grip”
I did have to bend my sticks a bit aft to avoid any contact (Infinity grip). The system control stops should be the only motion limiting device.

While I followed this convention, I now think that as long as the stick hits the panel AFTER achieving the minimum specified elevator throw, this should not be something that effects airworthiness. Essentially the panel is becoming the travel stop and every control system has a stop of some sort. Not saying we should allow this, but seems a workable solution, assuming that you have CONFIRMED that there is nothing that can grab and hold the stick when touching the panel.

Last edited:
The applicable DAR would have to make the final call.
Mine did and it would be unacceptable. I believe the issue is that if the stick/grip can contact the (panel or anything else) there is a possibility of getting stuck/caught in the extreme movement areas (i.e. stick hard left/forward can it go below a panel edge or knob and not freely return to neutral). I had already bent the stick slightly and at the inspection there was slight contact. I was able to adjust the push rod slightly to eliminate then all was good.
Again, it would be prudent to discuss with the DAR prior to inspection.

My up elevator is within spec at 26 degrees, but it does not hit the stop with the stick full back. Can anyone tell me where in the documentation from Vans there are instructions for adjusting the control system to optimize elevator travel?

Check

Check to make sure the stick isn’t hitting the seat base before the up stop.

Also, check that the pitch servo arm stop is not causing the premature up stop. This was the case on my aircraft...

Here is where I ended up on my final rigging:
https://karrelsj.blogspot.com/2020/12/final-rigging.html

It is possible to get everything into the limits Vans has in their manual. I too had a little interference on my pitch trim servo stop bracket, but that is an easy fix.

My DAR did check for any contact in the cabin. I did not have any (I did bend my control sticks). All of that said, I think an argument could be made for getting my control stick closer to the panel in order to give a little more aileron authority when full aft stick. i.e. I have short legs and flying in the second or third notch of the seat rails has the stick full aft pretty far into my lap.

Elevator 0 degrees is in trail with the horizontal stabilizer, then measure up and down from there.

Togaflyer, you won't believe how much you just helped me. I have been wracking my brain trying to figure out why I can't get passed 22 degrees of up travel. I have been measuring from level with the ground and not from trail. Thank you.

Back