Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-3
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-16-2021, 11:44 AM

Default How? Dynon Autopilot Install on RV-3A

Hey guys, I was wondering if anyone already solved this problem. I have a Dynon EFIS-10A and servos are $750 for each axis autopilot - so $1500 to add it. They have mounting kits for the 4,6,8, but not the 3. Does any of them work for the 3?
https://dynonstore.com/#!/Mounting-B...its/c/13788234

If not, has anyone installed it and can suggest how to do it?

Thanks!

Derek
Old 02-16-2021, 12:18 PM

I used the standard Dynon wing mount kit for the roll axis, and made my own pitch servo mount. For connecting to the pitch bellcrank, I used Dynon's generic mount kit.

Here's the pitch servo. I don't seem to have a photo of the roll servo installation but it's fairly stock.

Here's a view of the pitch brackets.

With the roll servo, at first I installed GRT's servo and later replaced it with Dynon's. The Dynon one was easier to attach because the GRT one had a connector in a very awkward position. But the Dynon one did need a small bracket, supplied in their kit, for more rigidity, if I remember right. The wings are out at the hangar and I can't get there today for a photo.

Bottom line, I think that the 4/8 pitch kit and the 7/8/9 roll kits will work. Or you could assemble your own.

Dave
Old 02-16-2021, 07:30 PM

The 0.75" dimension confirmed by Dynon.

The bottom holes in the angles of course have to be made to work with the RV-3 fuselage bulkheads.

Finn
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PitchServoAngles.JPG
Views:	18
Size:	105.8 KB
ID:	8447  
Old 02-16-2021, 07:51 PM

As Dave has said the pitch kit for the 4 & 8 works well and is straight forward to fit. I used the roll servo kit for the 7,8 & 9 and apart from a length adjustment to a support bracket it works well. However this is for the 3B wing and as the servo mount bracket replaces one of the bellcrank brackets this could be different for your RV 3A.
[IMG][/IMG]
Old 02-17-2021, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek343 View Post
I have a Dynon EFIS-10A....
I'm more fascinated to learn how you got that EFIS between the instrument panel and the fuselage fuel tank. I was looking at doing that recently, but there was just no way it would fit in my plane. Colour me curious...

Donated 2021
Old 02-19-2021, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Pulman View Post
I'm more fascinated to learn how you got that EFIS between the instrument panel and the fuselage fuel tank. I was looking at doing that recently, but there was just no way it would fit in my plane. Colour me curious...
My 3A has wing tanks. It doesn't have a fuselage tank.
Old 02-19-2021, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Paule View Post
I used the standard Dynon wing mount kit for the roll axis, and made my own pitch servo mount. For connecting to the pitch bellcrank, I used Dynon's generic mount kit.

Here's the pitch servo. I don't seem to have a photo of the roll servo installation but it's fairly stock.

Here's a view of the pitch brackets.

With the roll servo, at first I installed GRT's servo and later replaced it with Dynon's. The Dynon one was easier to attach because the GRT one had a connector in a very awkward position. But the Dynon one did need a small bracket, supplied in their kit, for more rigidity, if I remember right. The wings are out at the hangar and I can't get there today for a photo.

Bottom line, I think that the 4/8 pitch kit and the 7/8/9 roll kits will work. Or you could assemble your own.

Dave
Perfect, here's my order for people who search for this in the future:
Autopilot Order
2 x SV32 standard arms
4/8 Pitch Kit - Install Instructions
RV-7/8/10 Roll Kit - Install Instructions
2 x Network Autopilot Servo Cable Kit

Hopefully that works.

Is the AP74 worth the extra $450 or does it work fine through the EFIS?

Thanks!
Old 02-19-2021, 05:18 PM

I too have a question about mounting an autopilot servo. Has anyone mounted the roll servo in the space just below your knee, near the stick? I was having questions as to whether I wanted to mount it in the wing and it not being easily serviceable. I have a trutrak ADI pilot II.
Old 02-19-2021, 06:08 PM
VAF Moderator / Line Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwaynebob View Post
I too have a question about mounting an autopilot servo. Has anyone mounted the roll servo in the space just below your knee, near the stick? I was having questions as to whether I wanted to mount it in the wing and it not being easily serviceable. I have a trutrak ADI pilot II.
I think you’d find “under the knee” to be really constraining when it comes to shifting positions in flight. I often pull my heels back and get my knees up towards my chin to change seating positions on a long flight leg. If you clutter up that floor area, you won’t be able to do this, and the cockpit will be pretty tight.

Because of the geometry of the cockpit in my little jet, I really don’t have any alternate positions available (it makes the RV-3 feel spacious) - but I’m a glider in two hours due to fuel capacity, so most flight legs are only a touch over an hour anyway, so it doesn’t make any difference.

Paul
RV-6 (By Marriage) - N164MS - "Mikey"
RV-3B - N13PL - "Tsamsiyu"
A&P, EAA Tech Counselor/Flight Advisor
Dayton Valley Airpark (A34)
http://Ironflight.com
Old 02-23-2021, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironflight View Post
I think you’d find “under the knee” to be really constraining when it comes to shifting positions in flight. I often pull my heels back and get my knees up towards my chin to change seating positions on a long flight leg. If you clutter up that floor area, you won’t be able to do this, and the cockpit will be pretty tight.

Because of the geometry of the cockpit in my little jet, I really don’t have any alternate positions available (it makes the RV-3 feel spacious) - but I’m a glider in two hours due to fuel capacity, so most flight legs are only a touch over an hour anyway, so it doesn’t make any difference.

Paul
All good points, thank you. I am on the fence about an autopilot. I am VFR only, mostly a flagpole flyer and local formation flights. I can count on one and a half hands how many times I took my -4 or Rocket on a cross country, and only my Rocket had an autopilot...but I admit, it was very nice on that 3 hour flight to Idaho. My thoughts were that if I could put it down below my knee, I could add it later if I wanted to. My -3 is very bare bones.