Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 02-05-2021, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleB View Post
There are airplanes that pop up from time to time priced well under what you’d think the market price is. I paid substantially less for mine than what others were selling for, because it had a number of issues that needed fixing. I knew it would be something of a project when I bought it, and I think I paid a fair price for it. If you look at all of the RV-12s listed, you’ll see that the one in Kissimmee is an outlier by a pretty wide margin. Having not seen the airplane I won’t speculate on why, but I’m sure there are reasons.
Sounds to me like (with few exceptions) the "you get what you pay for" applies well here.
Old 02-05-2021, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleB View Post
There are airplanes that pop up from time to time priced well under what you’d think the market price is. I paid substantially less for mine than what others were selling for, because it had a number of issues that needed fixing. I knew it would be something of a project when I bought it, and I think I paid a fair price for it. If you look at all of the RV-12s listed, you’ll see that the one in Kissimmee is an outlier by a pretty wide margin. Having not seen the airplane I won’t speculate on why, but I’m sure there are reasons.
There were a lot of RV-12's out there when I was looking, with low hours, under 100, with years of Van's required "25 hour" inspections for cracks, and none of the service bulletins "updates" performed, installing backers or doublers, in a lot of areas that need it, that newer build planes incorporate into the build. Those are real time eaters, or money eaters, if you have to pay someone else to do those SB updates, and document the updates. If you have the skills and time to do it, great, if you just want to buy a plane to go fly... it might not be such a bargain to have to pay someone to do all the time intensive SB's to make your new build "current". That's heavily reflected in the price asked.

The 2012 I bought already had all the updates and all the hard, time consuming or 4 or 5 project rivet drilling reinforcement backers and reinstalling SB's performed. I feel I got a very fair deal for only 168 hrs on everything. Plenty of time for all the bugs to be worked out. New Voltage Regulator, new PC680, fresh new back up batteries in ELT 406 and Skyview, new brake pads. Previous owner was pretty meticulous.

All I had to add was new tires and tubes and install a GPS 2020 ADS-B out antenna, my plane is based under a mode C 30 mile veil of KLAX.

For where I live and fly... anything that didn't have at least a Dynon Skyview, and ADS-B in and out with the ADS-B 2020 antenna, was not a consideration. Installing a newer instrument panel and associated costs, made the early versions not suitable. These were most Rv-12s with a 2012 or earlier Airworthiness date. I didn't want the Dynon Flightdeck D180 and Garmin 396 GPS package. It wouldn't work very well flying anywhere pretty much around most of California, we have congested airways.

This is why ADS-B In is so valuable for situational awareness, for me. Easy to glance at on the screen, and helps you pick up those you are having a hard time seeing.

RV-12, #212 N72DJ, bought flying. A Blessing in disguise. Thank you Double D!

Last edited by NinerBikes : 02-06-2021 at 11:20 AM.
Old 02-05-2021, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NinerBikes View Post
I didn't want the Dynon Flightdeck D180 and Garmin 396 GPS package. It wouldn't work very well flying anywhere pretty much around most of California, we have congested airways.
In case anyone finds them self here in the future looking for purchase advice, ADSB out is only required when flying in Class B, Class C, and Class E airspace above 10,000.

So if you live in the flat lands, and don't have a need to mix it up with the heavy traffic in in Class B (within the mode C vail) & C or fly above 10,000 (or below 2500 ft AGL to provide a safe passage margin over higher terrain), then an RV-12 equipped without ADSB out will work just fine.

And that means that a good portion of CA (and a lot of other areas in the country) is accessible.

BTW, ADSB In is pretty easy to add to any airplane. It is ADSB out that can be a bit more challenging.

Scott McDaniels
Van's Aircraft Engineering Prototype Shop Manager
Hubbard, Oregon
RV-6A (aka "Junkyard Special ")

Last edited by rvbuilder2002 : 02-05-2021 at 04:28 PM.
Old 02-05-2021, 01:42 PM

Everyone’s situation is different... I owned a J3-Cub for 23 years and traded it for a flying RV-12. I wanted to build but family matters precluded. My search criteria were two-fold: I wanted to trade the Cub to lessen cash outlay and I wanted to find a plane in my home state to circumvent sales tax.

Almost immediately, I found a 12 built by original owner and he was interested in a trade. The builder was 80 years old and CFII. The builder, his son (A&P), and his significant other owned 20 airplanes between them – you know how a Grandmother opens her wallet to show you pictures of all the grandchildren? There is a lot more to the story that I’ll save for another day. Most of the SB’s needed to be completed with the owner furnishing parts.

It has been a fun and memorable journey. I have owned my 12 for five years and have flown it almost 600 hours. Looking back, I wouldn’t change a thing…
EAA #499867
PPL/ASEL 1970 - Sport Pilot since 2007
80 hrs Flying Aeronca Chief 11AC N86203
1130 hrs Flying 46 Piper J-3 Cub N6841H
Bought Flying RV-12 #120058 Oct 2015 with 48TT - Hobbs now 633

LSRM-A Certificate 2016 for RV-12 N633CM
Special Thanks... EJ Trucks - USN Crew Chief A-4 Skyhawk
MJ Stricker (Father & CFI) - USAAF 1st Lt. Captain B-17H
Old 02-05-2021, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvbuilder2002 View Post
In case anyone finds them self here in the future looking for purchase advice, ADSB out is only required when flying in Class B, Class C, and Class E airspace above 10,000.

So if you live in the flat lands, and don't have a need to mix it up with the heavy traffic in in Class B (within the mode C vail) & C or fly above 10,000 (or below 2500 ft AGL to provide a safe passage margin over higher terrain), then an RV-12 equipped without ADSB out will work just fine.

And that means that a good portion of CA (and a lot of other areas in the country) is accessible.

BTW, ADSB In is pretty easy to add to any airplane. It is ADSB out that can be a bit more challenging.
ADS-B IN is pretty nice too, if you want Rain, Pireps, plane location reports flying in your vicinity, current weather conditions at airports, Green, Blue or Red showing at towered airports, as well as current TFR locations to avoid, such as during fire season on the West Coast.

RV-12, #212 N72DJ, bought flying. A Blessing in disguise. Thank you Double D!
Old 02-05-2021, 08:22 PM

Scott, you left out Class A, wazzamatta, no faith in this little bird’s ability to climb!😝
Old 02-06-2021, 01:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RFSchaller View Post
Scott, you left out Class A, wazzamatta, no faith in this little bird’s ability to climb!😝
I have flown RV-12’s a lot..... Reaching Class A would be a very rare and unlikely occurrence for any RV-12 owner.

Scott McDaniels
Van's Aircraft Engineering Prototype Shop Manager
Hubbard, Oregon
RV-6A (aka "Junkyard Special ")
Old 02-06-2021, 07:03 AM

While Skyview would be nice, it’s not really a viable option. We’ve equipped our older D180 panel with ADS-B IN and OUT (uAvionxi) and upgraded the GPS to an IFly 740b. The wiring wasn’t too bad at all. Swapping out the SL40 and intercom for a GTR 200B was substantially more work, but well worth the time and effort required.

Omaha, NE
RV-12 # 222 N980KM "Screamin' Canary" (bought flying)
Fisher Celebrity (under construction)
Previous RV-7 project (sold)
Old 02-06-2021, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RFSchaller View Post
Scott, you left out Class A, wazzamatta, no faith in this little bird’s ability to climb!��
He did say above 10,000 which one would have to pass through to get to class A. Unless you were in Nepal.
RV-12 Flying
Old 02-08-2021, 10:00 PM

There’s always a lawyer in the bunch!😜