-Advertise in here!
- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 02-04-2021, 11:16 AM

This thread is giving me hope! I'm building an RV-8, and in the beginning I figured I was padding my estimate when I thought the build would take 2,000 hrs over 4 yrs.

I now tell people that I'm in the eighth year of a four year project. If it takes me the full 8 yrs, I'll have spent 4,000 hrs of construction time. I'm detail-oriented, so I keep careful track of my construction time. I only log time I'm actually in the shop making progress, not time I spend shopping for supplies, researching how to do something, making decisions, problem solving, etc. I'm not trying to build a show plane and I have stuck to the plans in all but a few items (stainless steel cooling ramp, Grove gear, avionics access panel, fuel gauge mount, canopy bonding, rear stick cover, Titan engine, and I covered my instrument panel and consoles with carbon fiber to match my prop).

I'm perhaps a little more meticulous than the average builder, which I'm certain slows my progress, but I'm okay with that. When I got to the electrical stage, I realized that I'm a slow builder. After I'd spent an hour or two in the shop, I'd look back at what I did to update my logs, only to realize I had installed and tested just a few wires. It shouldn't have taken that long, but it did. That seems to be a theme with me. I keep saying, "It shouldn't have taken me that long to do that" but it does, and so it continues.

All I can really control is when I drag myself out of bed and head to the workshop each morning. I've long since given up on my initial timeline, now I just try to work on the plane 10 hrs/week, and I normally work on it every day I'm home. If I do that enough times, the plane will eventually fly.

RV-8 N884RA under construction

Last edited by Nihon_Ni : 02-04-2021 at 11:22 AM.
Old 02-04-2021, 03:26 PM

Default Synergy Air and Average Build Times

I am the owner of Synergy Air and wanted to clarify an earlier post regarding our build times. I am not sure where the misunderstanding arose but I have never stated that we can build any RV in 4 weeks. I do appreciate the post about our shop. We are proud of the work we do here and certainly our efficiencies. I am always reluctant to publish build times as they can vary considerably with each builders' specifications and desires. That is the beauty of building an experimental airplane, you get what YOU want and believe me builders have great imaginations. While we are fast, we are not 4 weeks to taxi fast. We can help you build your RV-8 empennage in less than a week but the rest of the plane will take some time to get the quality you deserve.

We have led or assisted in over 100 RV builds, all models. Depending on configuration the average build time for an RV-8 is 24 weeks, which equates to about 900 hours. Please understand that this estimate is for what we would consider a stock aircraft with a glass panel and very few, if any, modifications that stray from what Van's recommends and starting from Van's quick build wings and fuselage kits.

I am hopeful this will help clarify the earlier post. I appreciate some of our builders sharing their stories as well. Feel free to contact us directly if you have any questions.
Old 02-04-2021, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert Rat View Post
So far I think I've spent at least 2,000 hours looking for the 6" scale or cleco pliers I had in my hand 30 seconds ago...
That's why I have 3 cleco pliers. After a few minutes of searching, I just grab another one. At the end of the day, when cleaning up they all seem to come back to the most obvious spot on the work bench. Really not sure where they go, maybe there's a cleco plier hang-out somewhere.
Fuselage started
Dash 8 day job is financing the RV-8
Donation till September 2021
Closed Thread