What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

A couple of canopy questions

AeroDog

Well Known Member
Friend
Epoxy question: After using the search tool and reading many posts, I ended up ordering one quart of epoxy resin to do the canopy skirt (and paying an exorbitant amount for shipping). I'm now thinking that's not enough. How much do I need?

Frame question: How important is it to get exactly a uniform 7/16th gap between the front bow and the panel?

Thanks.

Jerre

One quart should be enough. I bought one quart of West Systems Marine Grade Epoxy and hardener at a local boat store (no shipping) and used it on the canopy layups plus a few other small places. I even loaned it out to another builder for a small job he had going.

I still have a little left sitting on the shelf ten years later.

You can mix small batches when doing the layups so you don't have a lot left to waste. It's no problem to quickly mix another small batch if you need it. I bought the West Systems pumps which give the correct quantity mix. Some perfectionists will say weighing the quantities is the correct way but West Systems recommends the pumps.

If it?s the clearance I think you are referring to you want to be sure there is no interference between the bow and instrument panel when closing the canopy.

One thing you will find is that it takes very little hardener to get the resin to set, and if you over do it the stuff hardens faster. I like to keep a bit of each batch to monitor hardening so I don?t have to disturb the main layup.

Frame question: How important is it to get exactly a uniform 7/16th gap between the front bow and the panel?

I have just enough clearance to mount mini iPad with thin 3M Body Side Molding Tape at top of radio stack. Canopy bow covers top portion of iPad but doesn't hinder full view of screen.

Thanks, guys. My gap varies across the width of the airplane +- 1/16th. I guess I'm worrying about trifles.

Jerre

For someone reading this looking at getting epoxy etc

West marine stores are all over and stock the west system which comes with dispensers that takes all the guess work out. Any marine supply is adequate

Back