What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Changes with XM downloads

Martyrv6a

Well Known Member
The following is from Garmin's Web site. I don't know when this was posted, but a friend on mine picked up on a problem this week from another "list service" he belongs too so I thought I'd pass this note on.
Marty

"Garmin has identified an issue with reception of XM weather products for aviation and marine devices using a GXM30, GXM31, GXM40 and GXM 51. This issue will make it difficult for the devices to receive weather information. The issue has been corrected with a free software release from Garmin.

Aviation software can be updated using Garmin's WebUpdater. The 396 will need software version 4.60 or higher; the 496 will need software version 3.70 or higher."

XM WX Problems

For future reference under this topic, below are some of the related threads.

http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=45233&highlight=xmwx

http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=60464&highlight=xmwx

http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=37951&highlight=xmwx

And now to add to it: I'm about fed up with XM on my 396. It is very hit-and-miss with me. Some times it works for entire flights, other times doesn't work at all, and other times starts working then stops updating. I've had my XMWX since 2005. The first few years were fine, but as time went on, I started having more and more problems. I have the latest downloads/updates. There really seems to be no ryhme or reason or pattern. Not heat (winter, summer, cold, hot, makes no difference), not geographic location (I've had this problem pop up in TX, AL, CO, VA, NC, SC, etc). Yesterday I flew from Norfolk VA to Charleston SC, 2.0hrs and no XM whatsoever for the entire flight. Even rebooted,nothing. A couple of hours later when I turned the GPS on to fly home the wx started working within five minutes, go figure. Half way home, it stopped refreshing and never refreshed one single time the rest of the flight. I don't fly enough to justify having a $50 subscription work only part time. I'm calling XM soon to see what I can do. I would like them to credit me a few months to make up for all the times I had no service, we'll see what they say about that. One bad thing is that I've never called them about this issue so there is no history of my complaints, just my word. I'll post back any new developments.

My Solution

I bought a refurbished GXM30A from the web. It solved my issue with intermittent XMWX , but I might try to download the new software and see if it will fix the old antenna.

Last edited:
XM has been rock solid for me except when I changed the antenna location and could not get reception when flying a heading of about 010. Changed the location and things are back to solid.

Tobin & Jayne - Where is your XM antenna mounted? Do you get music but not weather or is music out too? When I would lose weather I would also lose XM radio so I knew it was not a weather issue but an XM radio issue.

It is all about antenna location. My 496 has been driving me nuts for about 6 months, ever since I got it. I replaced a 296 in the panel mount of my RV-10 with a 496. The 296 worked flawlessly. The 496 was always intermittent. It would work on some flights, but not all flights. I even replaced the antenna. So, this week, I decided to REALLY figure it out. I powered it up on battery power only, and disconnected the data cable so that nothing should be interfering with it. I let it lock on, and then set it to the GPS satellite signal strength page. I turned on the aircraft master switch, and saw no change. But when I turned on the Avionics master switch, all signals went to zero. Ha! I've got you now. So I methodically either turned the power off or pulled the fuses on each piece of equipment until I found the problem. It turned out to be the AFS Advance Deck 4500's. I could duplicate it at will. My antenna was laying right up on top of the glareshield, just like Rob Hickman's. I now have mounted the antenna on the inside of the cabin cover just over the rear seat floor, and it works great.
Why mine works differently than Rob's, I don't know. But I would encourage you to perform the same test and see if there is any interference from within your aircraft that might be causing the problem.

Vic

Tobin & Jayne - Where is your XM antenna mounted? Do you get music but not weather or is music out too?

It's mounted on the right side of the glareshield just as the aluminum starts to curve. Also, yes, I get music even when not getting the WX. Today I flew 2.0 roundtrip down into NC and the WX worked perfectly the whole time. Again, go figure.

Did you try running the tests I mentioned? Mine would work better if I placed it further to the right on the glareshield, but not all of the time.

Vic

GPS or XMWX signal

Hi Vic,

Are you talking about the XM signal or the GPS lock on? I did not think the 296 had XM.

Like Tobin, my WX was always hit or miss, but the audio signal was always solid.

My new XM antenna puck is in the same spot on the glare shield and always works with no drop outs. It does lead me to think it may have been a software issue.

Some times it works for entire flights, other times doesn't work at all, and other times starts working then stops updating.

Just an update for others having 396/496 XM issues. Thought I had figured out my intermittent refresh issue. Moved the XM antenna from the right side of glare shield (where it's been since 2005) to center of glareshield. Things were working great for weeks....until yesterday. Flight from Norfolk to Charlotte. Worked fine initially, then did not refresh for duration of flight, (well over an hour). Same thing today on return trip. Fine out of Charlotte, then failed to refresh for duration (well over an hour). As stated before, I have the latest update, the XM music works fine independent of the wx, no interference from aircraft itself, etc. Will call XM (or SiriusXM) soon. Very aggravating!

Did you do the software update from a couple of months ago Tobin? Garmin (or XM) sent out a postcard with big bold leters about updating to fix a "bug", or Wx wouldn't work....

Paul

Are your issues only after the last software update ?

Same thing today on return trip. Fine out of Charlotte, then failed to refresh for duration (well over an hour). As stated before, I have the latest update, the XM music works fine independent of the wx, no interference from aircraft itself, etc. Will call XM (or SiriusXM) soon. Very aggravating!

I think the puzzling thing is that if you just turn it off and then on again, it will refresh. That would say that the signal is fine and available but whatever causes the unit itself to refresh is inconsistent after about 3 to 4 updates.

I never had this problem until the last software update and I vaguely remember something posted about issues with the software and the older pucks. BUT, it said if you updated the software, that solved the problem.

I assumed that the update I had done at the Garmin booth at 2011 SnF would have solved all issues but NOW I am actually having them when I didn't before. Not sure if it is a coincidence but it seems like odd timing not to be related?

Bill S

I think the puzzling thing is that if you just turn it off and then on again, it will refresh. That would say that the signal is fine and available but whatever causes the unit itself to refresh is inconsistent after about 3 to 4 updates.

I never had this problem until the last software update and I vaguely remember something posted about issues with the software and the older pucks. BUT, it said if you updated the software, that solved the problem.

I assumed that the update I had done at the Garmin booth at 2011 SnF would have solved all issues but NOW I am actually having them when I didn't before. Not sure if it is a coincidence but it seems like odd timing not to be related?

Bill S

This is my experience exactly. I have a 4 year old 496 that I updated (most recently) right before Oshkosh. I'm now having the update issues with WM weather for the first time.

As another random data point, my father in law has a 496 slightly older than mine. His weather quit and Garmin told him that many of the older XM antennas were failing. A new model XM antenna solved his issues.

I find it hard to believe I have an antenna problem as I still get weather (intermittently), and I have no issues receiving music.

Back